“Great New Years Eve with Mandy and the team...” 5 of 5 stars

Dar Hanane
9 Derb Lalla Azzouna | Kaat Benahid, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #76 of 1,040 Marrakech B&B and Inns
iansilverstein
“Great New Years Eve with Mandy and the team...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

Thank you to Mandy and her team who were great to have around. I spent 2 nights at Dar Hananne and had a great time. The Riads location is perfect, right amongst all the Medina has to offer and they all made a very hectic and congested city easier to navigate and enjoy.

I stayed in the Grande Suite and it is a lovely room, very stylish, big and provides you with a perfect base.

Mandy who looks after the 4 Riads in the group couldn't do enough and was not only really helpful, she was great to have around. Along with Aziz, who is a local, the kitchen staff and other members of the team you feel like you have instantly made some new friends on arrival.

They also hosted all the guests at one of the other Riads (Dar Amore) on New Years Eve and arranged local dancers, drinks on the roof terrace, local buffet and champagne at midnight. All in all a great night.

I would recommend any of the Pure Riad locations as the perfect way to enjoy Marrakech and I can't praise the team enough. I had a great time and am already planning a shopping trip in a few months. Taking an empty suitcase this time.

Thank you to all at Pure Riads and wishing you a great 2013.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

254 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We arrived on Dec 21st and stayed until Dec 27th. It was our first visit to Marrakech and we were a little unsure about how we would get on. We had researched Riads extensively and short-listed Dar Hanane from a book about the best riads which we had found in the local Library. Reviews on Tripadvisor convinced us to book Dar Hanane. We were not disappointed; the car pick-up from the airport, the transfer of luggage to a cart and the short walk to the Riad worked like clockwork. The dinner we had the first night (vegetable tagine because my wife does not eat meat) was excellent.
Throughout our visit the Riad Manager, Mandy, and all of her staff (especially Aziz) could not have been more helpful. Mandy arranged for a guide for one day, a trip to the High Atlas (unforgettable too) another and made several dinner bookings for us, all of which turned out to be excellent.
The Riad itself is part of the Pure Riads group and we only visited one other in the group (Tzarra) so we cannot compare this riad with others. However, it had everything which we needed. We had dinner the first night in the salon in front of a blazing fire, breakfasts most mornings on the roof terrace looking over the Medina and towards the snow-covered Atlas Mountains and on other, colder mornings in the downstairs dining room. We had the Douria Suite, which was very comfortable, opening out into the salon. It obviously backed onto a street because it was quite noisy in the evenings. It was also opposite the honesty bar in the salon and cool beers were very welcome after a hard day pounding the streets and souks of the Medina. The Riad is ideally located about 10 minutes walk from the Place Jemaa El Fna, 5 minutes from the Museum of Marrakech and the Madersa Ben Youssef and 5 minutes from the souks. Mandy very helpfully provided us with a hand drawn map of the local streets and we managed not to get lost.
Part of the reason for that was because of the help of Aziz who escorted us to / from the car which took us to the Atlas Mtns, to / from a car which took us to a restaurant and to the car which took us to the airport at the end of an unforgettable stay.
What is the best thing about Dar Hanane? The staff; they are all excellent, friendly, helpful and nothing was too much trouble. The worst? There isn't a worst.
Oh, and yes, the wifi signal was strong and enabled us to stay in FaceTime touch with our children as they celebrated Chistmas on three different continents with their in-laws; we know who had the best deal!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Valencia, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Hello, This is the first time I've gone onto this website. A friend suggested that I might place a review of Dar Hanane; well, I'd like to try!
I have visited Dar Hanane twice: firstly in March 2011 and then in September 2012. I like to travel internationally, so that is my frame of reference: in Marrakech city I have only stayed at Dar Hanane and Riad Bel Haj (which are members of the same chain).

Dar Hanane is right in the thick of things, whilst maintaining a tranquil ambience. It's good for a visitor to Marrakech who wants to spend time in the historic centre, souks and the like whilst remaining in walking distance of their lodgings. I like the style of the interior, which stays true to the traditional feel of the arquitecture and fittings, with a cool touch of modernity in the decorations and conveniences. As above mentioned, I've been there twice, with a year and a half gap in between; I could observe no degradation in the condition of the place. On the contrary, last time I was the only guest as the other rooms were busily being restored to, I assume, tip- top condition.

The service is friendly and relaxed. I have the feeling that the staff are all well content at their place of work and I would give this the utmost importance as the human element obviously goes a great way in defining the whole experience of staying somewhere.

Very good breakfast, somewhat catered to your requests. Have it on the patio (fresh and shady) or roof terrace (too dark, pullin' yer leg).

By name I can mention;
Stuart (owner) who I met in 2011. He struck me as a nice guy, down to earth and interested in his guest. We like motorbikes.
Mandy (office), 2012. She's a gorgeous redhead like me, kind and fun what's more.
Aziz (omnipresent). After four visits to Morocco I would say that he's my best friend in the land (and not the only!) A ride through the souks on the back of his Yamaha makes an Indiana Jones movie flop like a wet blanket by comparison, 'though similarities abound. Looks dangerous, but I always made it out with my hat intact, so to speak. Indeed I have absolute confidence in his riding abilities, on which I depended when I was running very late for my friend's wedding (the reason for my last visit to Marrakesh). We had to go out of town for that one, so we made a couple of false circuits and I missed the champagne (all for the best, it got messy enough later on). As for the city centre, I suspect that Aziz knows it better than the back of his hand; he is also clearly well known and respected, more confidence inspired. MY BROTHER!

Any negatives? Well, it's not so cheap, there's no pool (table or swimming, so take a cold shower and hit the town!) and leaving the place can feel surprisingly difficult (they do make it as easy as possible!) To anyone who can clear those three hurdles, I could recommend Dar Hanane.

I have now seen that I have to tick a box saying that I have no personal or business relationship with the establishment. As I feel that I am friendly with the establishment (names above mentioned) I will just affirm that I have been offered no financial incentive to do this, it's straight from the heart. I'll tick the box and submit anyway, damned if I don't after getting all creative and reviewer- ish for about half an hour.

Peace and love,

Erik Tenek-Ool Maai

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for three nights. Everything ran to plan. We were met at the airport and then as we were dropped off in the Medina were met by Aziz who accompanied us to the Riad. What a wonderful place to stay. We were upgraded to the Grande Suite, so beautiful and tastefully decorated. We had arranged to have dinner in the Riad, served in the court yard, a very tasty meat tagine. Next morning we had breakfast on the roof terrace, very nice and great to have a bit of sunshine. Staff was very helpful, they explained all about the local area and provided us with a good map. We were looked after so well. They book a table for us on the Saturday night at Le Foundouk and on Sunday we had a hamman, massage and pampering. All in all I thoroughly recommend Dar Hanane for comfort, cleanliness, friendly staff and a great place to stay in Marrakech.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Nigel and Brian,
Thank you for your kind words. It was a pleasure to meet you and we were delighted that you decided to celebrate your special occasion at Dar Hanane. We hope that we will have the honour of welcoming you back in the future.
Best regards, Mandy Sinclair
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We have just returned from a really enjoyable 3 night stay in Dar Hanane riad after a 5 day trek in the high Atlas Mountains. What we loved so much about Marrakech was the hustle and bustle of the city but the moment we stepped through the door of Dar Hanane we were met with peace and tranquility a million miles away from the chaos outside which was great.

The staff were great, we relaxed and had a few drinks on the terrace which was lovely and we really couldn't have asked for a better place to stay in Marrakech. Excellent room, wifi access, a drinks fridge in the relaxing lounge and simply a gorgeous place to stay. Definitely exactly what we needed after our gruelling trek! We will definitely return if we come back to Marrakech.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Azzouna, Manager at Dar Hanane, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you for your kind words and taking the time to write a lovely review. We're happy to hear Dar Hanane was just what you were looking for following your trek. If you're ever back in Marrakech, we'd be happy to welcome you back.
Best, Mandy Sinclair, Manager, pureriads
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Staying at Dar Hanane (part of the Pure Riads group) in Marrakech was a truly magical experience. The city can speak for itself bursting with culture, a strong sense community and authentic charm. Staying at the beautiful Dar Hanane Riad and meeting such welcoming staff wiped out any inch of feeling intimidated by the meandering terracota walls and sometimes overwhelming market traders. Aziz was the true hero of our holiday, a kind hearted individual who devoted his time to make sure our holiday was perfect from escorting us to dinner at night to letting us in on the true art of Morrocan bartering. Everything was of an outstanding quality at Dar Hanane from the decor through to the food and of course all the staff.You need to visit this Riad to gain the full experience, I cannot recommend it enough.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Azzouna, Manager at Dar Hanane, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review on TripAdvisor. I have passed on your kind comments to Aziz. It was a pleasure to help you plan your stay in Marrakech and ensure that you were comfortable in the medina. I hope that we'll have the pleasure to welcoming you back to Marrakech soon. Best regards, Mandy Sinclair, Manager, pure riads
Dubai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed at Riad Hanane after trekking in the Atlas mountains: it was a perfect place to relax after our adventures in the hills. It is also an excellent base from which to explore the city. The staff are great and the breakfast was very tasty. Visitors unfamiliar with riads need to understand that they are more like (very elegant) family homes rather than large hotels.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Dar Hanane? Share your experiences!