“A little piece of heaven amidst the Marrakech madness!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dar Ayniwen Villa Hotel

You added Dar Ayniwen Villa Hotel to your Saves list
Dar Ayniwen Villa Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tafrata - Palmeraie de Marrakech, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Offers & Announcements
03=02
Ranked #14 of 465 Hotels in Marrakech
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“A little piece of heaven amidst the Marrakech madness!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

This was the first hotel of a ten day trip to Morocco and what a great find it was! We were upgraded from the house to a private Villa which really made the beginning of our special holiday fantastic.
The villa had it's own private hot tub which on request they would prepare with candles for you in the evening, we spent every evening in there drinking wine, what a luxury!
The gardens are lovingly cared for by what seems like an army of staff, and the background music is supplied by the hundreds of birds that the owner collects. A very peaceful and relaxing break from the madness of the souks in the city!
All of the staff were fantastic and made you feel just at home, Aziz could not do enough to help with directions and reccomendations galore. The taxi service to and from the city was great, we never had to worry about getting back to our hotel in a mad taxi as they would come and collect us.
The dinners in the tent in the evening were just gorgeous, you chose what you wanted in the morning and subject to availability they would make wonderful dishes for you, we ate here 2 evenings out of the 3 we stayed here and were stuffed both times.
Breakfast in the morning out in the beautiful gardens by the pool made you feel like you were in a film, just fantastic.
Cannot fault any part of our stay here, and as previous reviewers have mentioned reluctantly leave this review for purely selfish reasons as I too don't want it to become overun. I would go back in an instant!

Room Tip: I can't imagine that any of the rooms are bad in this fantastic hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Paris, Ile-de-France, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

After a stressful fall, I needed, simply put, a vacation. A two hour flight from Paris, Marrakech seemed like the natural destination close to home to relax, while experiencing the sights, sounds, and cuisine of Morocco. Lucky for me, Dar Ayniwen Villa Hotel was the paradise I was looking for.

This family run hotel provides the perfect combination of comfort, elegance, and peace that I needed. Its attentive staff, and its charming gregarious owner Stephane, truly know how to make their guests feel ‘at home’ in the elegance and comfort. I would recommend this jewel to anyone seeking beauty and relaxation on an intimate scale. The rose petals sprinkled around my room upon arrival were enough to make me feel like the princess of this paradise – and that was just the beginning.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

everything about it was wonderful. we were upgraded to the galaxy suite, which was lovely as it was our honeymoon. we had no less than 3 balconies, with lovely views of the grounds. the food was wonderful as were the staff. we were met on our arrival by the owner who showed us round, and Aziz was wonderful at arranging our trips into the city. I would come to this hotel again simply to stay there for a few days peace and quiet and not even leave the grounds.

• Stayed November 2012
Worthing, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

This place is a gem. I say this reluctantly because, selfishly, I'd hate it to be overrun... Initially, we were struck by the unexpected oasis that opens up immediately you enter its gates: little paths and arbours with water features run around the sides of the old house, while you enter through magnificent, ancient-looking main doors into an elegant, almost country-house-with-a-Moroccan-twist style, elegant domed hallway.

We were exceptionally lucky to be upgraded to the Pavillion suite for the first 4 nights of our stay. This is in the garden, opposite the pool but reached through a curtain of fig trees along a private brick path and across a curtained terrace for additional privacy. Utterly stunning! The suite has its own private hot tub under a pemanent and substantial awning, in a private garden to the side of the suite, although as we stayed in August, it was a little too hot to want to make use of it. The suite itself is big enough to be a permanent home for two people really - and offered a real and unexpected taste of luxury. With two bathrooms, its own entrance hall, large sitting/dining room across the front and reasonable bedroom space with ample fitted cupboards, I'm sure any run of the mill estate agent here would have a simple task selling it!

For me, being able to breakfast in semi privacy behind curtains yet still outside, was a total joy. Breakfast was always delicious, a mixture of continental and Morrocan - and arrives at your choice of time, complete with fresh white linen every time. I particularly love the orange juice there: somehow softer, fuller and less acidically attacking than juice you get anywhere else.

The gardens are gorgeous and beautifully maintained - lots of little paths to follow and exotic birds in big aviaries. The only thing that made me uncomfortable (probably a 'soft' European reaction to a normal Moroccan food source), were the rabbits kept in very small cages with no room to move in the outside heat of the day.. Apart from that, there was also the joy of coming across roaming tortoises wherever we went!

The welcome we received was personal, thoughtful and sincere. Guests are given a tour of the house and grounds on arrival, together with a taste of Morocco in the form of apple tea and some local pastries. The owner, manager and staff are all delightful and cannot do enough to help, inform and make each guest feel individual and comfortable. The whole place seems infused with scent of rich, warm, musky spices that just adds to the sense of relaxation.

We stayed during the Muslim month of Ramadan - and according to some other guests who were return visitors, the discipline of fasting on some of the staff and locals in the markets, did take its toll on the level of service. However, as novices, we didn't notice it in dar Ayniwen, although in Marrakesh itself near sundown, which was really the only comfortable time to go into the city as far as heat was concerned, the stallholders did tend to be more aggressive and surly. Despite this though, we enjoyed some lovely meals eaten at balcony restaurants watching as the main square came to life after evening prayers. Still though, coming back afterwards to dar Ayniwen was perfect antidote to the city madness.

The shuttlebusses were convenient, free (except for tips!) and the drivers without exception, friendly and helpful.

We did tip a lot. Not to high values, but more to acknowledge the wonderful level of service - and although not necessarily expected at the hotel, definitely appreciated and the right thing to do. Make sure you have lots of 20 dirham bills to hand..

Overall, a proper break in a beautiful setting with proper, fantastic value service and welcome. Will we go back? Definitely!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I went here for my birthday week celebration and feel almost like I'm wasting time writing this review because I could easily say "Ditto" or "What the others Said". So, I will be brief but clear.
I travel at least 20 nights a year for pleasure and 60 - 80 nights a year for business. I stay in 5-star hotels whever they are available, love comfort but want to feel like I am in a different country when travelling to ... a different country. And I don't want to be treated like a king but I do want to be appreciated as a guest. And I LOVED THIS PLACE.

Plus (most of what others said is trueas well but here are the standouts):
- Manager and staff will do anything for you. Aziz is a rockstar!! Want a ride to a restaurant, booked by the manager? You've got it. Need a few movies in your room? Sure. Breakfast in bed? No problem. Tour of neighborhood on way to a spa at a competing hotel? No worries.

- Suites are ginormous, comfortable, and clean. Each is unique and make you feel as if you have a special apartment in an old (but not dated) chalet ... or I guess Riad.

- Grounds are unique and beautiful, with many many more birds than I expected. Lovely gardens that I imagine woudl be phenom during or after the rainy season.

- Bonus points for not only have an adaptor in the suite but having one with multiple outlets.

- Flower petals everywhere when they clean your suite. Great toiletries and amenties in the room.

- Peace and quiet. I had no idea the place was fully booked when we were there. It was SOOO quiet. Serene.

Negatives (that should be considered by the management for the future but by no means negatively impact the stay):

- Calling the Spa such is a bit of a stretch. A tiny room staffed by someone that can give manicures and pedicures doth not a spa make. The offset - if you want a proper spa, Aziz will arrange one for you. The one on site is tucked away in a strange area of the home where I cant imagine actually going for a massage. And one night I saw people sleeping in the room across from the Hammam, which freaked me out because I accidentally opened the door....

- The food in the restaurant is ok but not amazing, and the breakfast is just ok. But, it's more like eating at home with your family. The food doesnt always knowkc your socks off but the community, the friendly service and the fact that you can eat pretty much anywhere on the estate make it worth a few meals.

Room Tip: All of the suites are nice but if you can get one facing the pool and grounds beyond, bonus!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We were there recently on a long week end break . At first we wanted to choose a classic Riad accomodation in the Medina but after having checked the different reviews my wife and I opted for this small boutique hotel in the Palmeraie area.
Having stayed before inside the Medina I was a bit concerned about our choice of this hotel as the Palmeraie is few km north and our time for visiting was limited.
Well my concerns vanished pretty soon as we discovered when we arrived that we basically had a chaffeur driver at our disposal for going to and coming from town at any time we wanted (we just needed to call 30 minutes before) .....possibly because we were in low season (altough we were right in the middle of the Marrakech film festival) or maybe because our relatively easy schedule allowed this , anyway this was quite great as we really felt treated eclusively ...well in fact we were trated very specially for anything from the amazing breakfast in the garden or inside the main house, at dinner (the best chicken Tajine we have ever had) , when they prepared the fireplace (yes we had a cold evening!)in our room.
Aziz the manager and his team will do anything to make your stay in Marrakech pleasant, unique and memorable. We will come back to our home there and this time with our kids!
Daniele and Angela
Paris
France

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I stayed here for about a week in October during my friend's wedding (which also took place here!). It was an wonderfully serene setting being far away from the hustle and bustle of Marrakech, though shuttles were provided for when we wanted to get to town. The service was excellent, the food delicious, the fresh home-made yogurt divine. I would absolutely stay here again and again.

Room Tip: I'm not sure you can go wrong with any room!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Dar Ayniwen Villa Hotel? Share your experiences!