“Excellent Riad” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Angel's Riad

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Angel's Riad
Save Saved
You added Angel's Riad to your Saves list
6 Derb Houara | Berrima, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #598 of 1,046 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Excellent Riad”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

We greatly enjoyed the three nights we spent in Marrakech at the Angel's Riad. The owners showed us great hospitality, provided tasty breakfasts with freshly squeezed orange juice, and refreshing afternoon snacks of fresh fruit. We stayed in the wonderful and spacious blue suite which boasted a lovely decor and nice view of the cool and shaded inner courtyard.
Claudia was always eager to answer any questions we had about local restaurants, tourist sites, and the Old Town of Marrakech. Hassan greeted us at the airport and saw us off on the day of our departure. A lovely little bed and breakfast located in the old Jewish quarter in the shadow of the King's Palace. Would strongly recommend it to others.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

24 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

We found the Angels's Riad one of the best parts of our stay in Marrakech. The owners, Claudia and Hassan, were very helpful and welcoming throughout the five days we stayed with them. I would recommend this riad to anyone who is going to Marrakech. It was clean, comfortable and close enough to the city centre to be an easy walk.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to the suite with no extra charge and it is lovely, with a lovely sitting room and...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Biel-Bienne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

the 2 owners are very sympatic and lovely!
All the rooms are different and very well furnished.
You will enjoy the terasse and the nice location of this riad (8 minutes to place Jal al Fna).

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

This riad was recommended by a friend. Claudia, the owner, provided excellent customer service. Fresh fruit and water were placed in my room daily. I have stayed in other riads, however, I found the price and cleanliness a plus and plan to stay here when I return.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Bucharest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

Angel's Riad is a truly special place to stay. Claudia and Hassan are gracious and welcoming hosts, and the Riad is charming to say the least. Fortunately, it is not a long walk to the center of the activity in Marrakech, but being on a quiet side lane, it is blessedly peaceful. Charmingly decorated, comfortable rooms and bountiful breakfasts are on offer, and the overall experience was just delightful. Oh, and did I mention, it is very reasonable as well! Recommended for older travelers who don't mind climbing one flight of stairs, friends traveling together, couples and even singles. Claudia and Hassan are the "Angels" in residence and will make you feel truly welcome.
I cannot imagine how anyone could write a negative review of this terrific riad!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Bucharest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2010

Angel's Riad in Marrakeck was a lovely find, and the Riad was a charming visit to Merrekeck. Claudia and Hassan were ever so gracious hosts, and the price including breakfast was very affordable. I would recommend it to all who want to visit Marrekech, Morroco.

C Robertson
Bucharest, Romania

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Nottingham, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2008

Stayed here for 4 nights last year. Its a nice little place, comfortable rooms, decent breakfast, within walking distance of most places but a little off the beaten track. It was very good value compared to most other riads in Marrakech, particularly in the old town. The central courtyard was lovely with fresh flowers and candles every day, and we were served mint tea, fresh orange and morroccan sweets whenever we came back during the day which was a nice touch.

So why have I called this review "so so"? Well, we had to move rooms half way through our stay which annoyed us quite a lot as we booked well in advance and had not been told that this was the case. We had been told the name of the room we would stay in when we booked, but when we arrived it was no longer available. I thought this was pretty poor.

We also found it a little strange that the bedrooms had no locks on them at all. The owner told us that it was her house and that we could trust anyone in her house so there was no need for internal locks, but this made me quite nervous and I was acutely aware that had anything happened to our belongings then we would not have been insured for them.

However the main reason for my hesitation to recommend this place is that I would echo the comments of the other reviewer on here about the owner, Claudia. There is just something really quite false about her that made us quite uncomfortable during our stay. We organised our own trip to the mountains for the day and like the other reviewer, this was greeted with stand offish scepticism from Claudia who told us she didnt like the look of our driver and hers would have been much cheaper/better. In fact we had a great day with our self organised driver, who was very knowledgable and good value.

We arranged a Hammam visit through Claudia and this was simply bizarre. I can't remember what we paid her, but she arranged a trip to the hammam next door which cost pennies to get into (we paid considerably more to claudia to arrange this). It was definitely an authentic experience, i was the only non-muslim in there and the only one who didn't speak arabic. I got stared at by everyone and was clearly being talked about but had no idea what was being said and no ability to converse myself. Claudia arranged "authentic" rassul shampoo and gloopy soap to take in (again at a huge premium) and when the lady who had been paid to take care of me asked if I had shampoo and i showed her the rassul she looked horrified. A small kid in there who had a little french explained to me that nobody used rassul and lent me some herbal essences instead! i felt absolutely dreadful taking this poor kid's mother's shampoo. Not the relaxing spa/hammam experience I was after.

On the last day we were overcharged for our room and for the taxi back to the airport which Claudia arranged. We couldn't be bothered to say anything by this point so emailed afterwards asking for it to be given as a tip to the maid. I have no idea whether it was or not.

Don't get me wrong, I know that marrakech is an economy that is built on greasing palms and i'm sure it happens whereever you stay and whoever you pay for anything out there, but this place just really made me feel it very acutely. Claudia is a french national who clearly has the money to buy into the booming marrakech tourist trade, presumably at the expense of the marakshi people themselves. It just left a bit of a sour taste in the mouth.

• Stayed March 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Angel's Riad? Share your experiences!