“How disgusting!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Jnan El Harti

We can't find prices for this hotel
Jnan El Harti
30 Rue Cadi Ayad, Marrakech -, Morocco   |
Ranked #453 of 460 hotels in Marrakech
Singapore, Singapore
“How disgusting!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

I had no choice but to stay in this hotel as part of a tour group. I would not stay here if it wasn't the case.

The room is small, the sheets were stained and musty! Pillows were hard, the bathroom were full of chips and cracks, and water wasn't hot. The flush works on and off, and it was infuriating to know that I could never properly flush off.

Besides the point that it is utterly run down, the service is so poor that I don't even want to give it a 1 rating!

In the hotel, you can never find maps. They don't provide any, not even free ones. The reception were cold and just ignore you with their 'No'. There's no service at this place, and they charge pretty much for it from the rack rates I saw.

Save yourself, and give the riads a go. At least you know you are in a prettier environment.

• Stayed December 2010

52 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Salisbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

Sometimes TripAdvisor upsets me. I read some terrible reviews (but still go to the hotels anyway!) but find that in fact the reviews are totally misleading and I thoroughly enjoy staying there. I usually leave positive reviews and can see the best in any situation. Not so for my 2 day trip to Marrakech.
Marrakech itself is a bustling city, full of wonder and I will recommend it to any streetwise traveller. I went with friends and I think keeping to a small group gives you strength for haggling in the souks as well as the usual 'safety in numbers'. However, for your stay DO NOT stay at the Jnan El Harti. Although this is the only place I stayed in Marrakech I'm pretty sure you can get way better value for your money.
When we first arrived we could see that this wasn't a five star hotel but that's fine, we wanted to keep costs down. It was a bit dingy but when we opened the curtains onto the balcony it was a fairly pleasant view though my other friends had a fabulous view of the very large Jardin Jnane el Harti. The bath in our room was stained so I decided not to use it as we were only staying one night anyway. The shower head would only have come up to my chest if I'd bothered to use it (I'm 5ft 6). There was general cracking of bathroom fixtures and the light switch and plug socket were right next to the sink (Morrocco doesn't think 'Safety First!').
When we went to bed the pillow case had probably in fairness been cleaned but it was a sort of greyish colour like it'd done too many rounds in the dark wash, so i used the raincover of my rucsac as a pillow case.
It was quite warm in Marrakech so although we wanted to sleep with the balcony door open it would have been a bit too noisy to get a decent night's sleep but I think you'll find this everywhere in Marrakech.
The worst thing happened to my travelling companion who was getting dressed in the bathroom then noticed the light flicker. She looked up at it and it moved back up into its (recessed) socket! Make of that what you will but we got dressed in the dark the next day and did it bloody quickly. For this reason I must urge lone female travellers NOT to consider using this hotel.
The breakfast was not expansive. I had a couple of oranges, orange juice and a slice of sponge cake. There were also other drinks like tea and coffee and croissants and bread so better than nothing but not a vast selection.
Throughout our stay the hotel had a really weird smell, kind of like a mixture of sewage and food (cabbage?) which was better when the windows were open and kind of stuck to our clothes for an hour or two after we checked out.
All in all I would never go back simply because I truly believe you can get way better for the same money.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

Luckily tripadvisor saved me from this place. However it was part of a group tour and we only used it to dump our bags before doing a city tour. The sewerage smell in the reception was the first thing we noticed. Very run down room. The staff at reception were amongst the most unhelpful I have ever encountered and refused to call us a taxi when we left. One of our fellow travellers asked for a map of the city and was told he had to pay for it. When he questioned that it said 'free' on it in French, they begrudgingly gave it to him. The hotel was nowhere near the main square and you have to take a cab to get there but negotiating with Marrakech taxi drivers is a complete rip off.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

Of the 10 hotels I stayed at on a group tour, this was my least favorite. Perhaps its that it is in a city, but it was just a bit off. It was Morocco Clean at best-meaning they don't bother with walls or corners, etc. If they don't expect you to touch it, why bother cleaning it.
There is wifi only in the lobby, where you dont want to sit for too long.
The breakfast was ok, usual bread and hard boiled egg, plus they have some vegetables too, which was a plus.
Its about a 20-25 min walk to jemaa el fna, or a bus ride. Its near to cafes and places the upscale locals seem to go to.

• Stayed October 2010
Cape Town Central, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

I stayed in this hotel as part of Topdeck's Moroccan Explorer trip. While I see myself as a traveler who's quite happy with the basics, this was just plain unacceptable.

- there was no hot water in the room and the shower head weren't working
- the aircon didn't work (while 45C outside)
- and what probably got to me the most was that the receptions staff is miserably unhelpful
- continental breakfast certainly nothing to write home about
- main square of Marrakesh 15-20 min walk away

At least the sheets and towels were clean, but that that's about the only good I have to say about Jnan El Harti.

If you're not forced to stay here try out the many other fabulous places in Marrakesh where the poeple are hospitable and the food amazing!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Glasgow
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

I stayed at this hotel being part of the Topdeck tour Moroccan Explorer tour at the beginning and end of the tour and without any doubt in my mind this was one of the worst hotels I have ever had the misfortune of staying in. On arriving, after a long trip in from Scotland, we were left sitting in the bloody lobby for 45mins, only then to be told that I couldn't have a room with my girlfriend because they had overbooked because someone on the tour had pulled out.........Where's the sense in that. So we were split and had to share rooms with people on the tour who we had only managed to be on a first name basis for 10mins beforehand.

And the staff started as they meant to go on, not giving a monkeys!

Oh, did I mention the acrid smell of sewage that emanates from the lobby?

The hotel used the phrase 'Continental Breakfast' in its widest possible term, the breakfast display can only be described as looking like it was assembled by a 5 year old kid with ADD. If Stale, tooth breaking croissants aren't your thing, then surely the bowls of tepid yellow and orange syrup behind them will get your appetite pumping, if the flies haven’t dive bombed into them first of all. Oh and the excellent display of freshly dug up cucumbers???????? I cant remember them every being a part of a continental breakfast, must have been lost in translation, or the hotel believed it to be a refreshing morning fruit.

Possibly the most interesting thing on the menu was the gut wrenching 'fresh orange juice' which after 3 glasses had managed to bring one poor girl on our tour group down with stomach bug, which she had for at least 10 days of her holiday. If this stuff were a weapon, the UN would class it as a War Crime to use in battle.

Beware of the swarms of ants in the rooms, that on the first night, managed to get into our food, clothes, towels, bed, pillowcases, I even found one on my toothbrush!!!!!!!!!! Oh and the TV's in the room that remote controls dont work, and the buttons on the TV have been handily removed for your convenience, Changing channels was like lock picking, as the only way was to use your sunglasses to poke the channels up and down. Air conditioning, if it did work, was the equivalent to having Henry Hoover blowing semi-cool air at you. There was a control dial on the wall, but Im certain that actually controlled the traffic light sequence 300yrds down the road and one time it when I adjusted the temperature, it did turn the toilet light off???????? The mind boggles at the possibilities.

The pool on the roof-top bar was empty, yahoo! just to kick us when were down.

The lighting in this place was all done with those energy saving 30 secs lighting buttons which with irritating frequency would switch off after 5 seconds causing you to fumble about in the dark trying to find the stairs without twisting your ankle on them.

The attitude of the staff was unbelievable, they honestly didn’t give a monkeys. two guys on the tour group tried to get the password to the Wi Fi, hotel staff said there wasn’t a password, the guys asked again what was the correct WI FI, the hotel receptionist against pointed to the passworded one, the guys asked for the password again and then the receptionist simply said it was broken and turned his back on them. This was the same receptionist who would not look up the 24 HOUR Ryanair hotline number for a girl on the tour because he said they would be shut at 9pm.................

Also we our tour rep agreed with the staff that we could have alcohol served to us one night, but then as soon as he’d left, they changed there mind and told us the best we could get was mint tea!. I can feel my blood pressure rising even as I type this review.

For the last two days of our holiday, we stayed in the Riad Nafis, which was far, far superior in terms of cleanliness, service, food, and the staff were delightfully helpful and informative of the places around the city to see.

Do not, under any circumstances make a stay at the Jnan Harti, in all honesty, it is an embarassment to the hospitality industry.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

I went to this hotel as part of a large group tour. I have to say that it is perhaps the worst hotel I have ever been to. Guests are greeted by bad smells and a dark, gloomy reception area. The staff will barely acknowledge you, yet alone help you. The rooms are dirty, poorly decorated and dark. You will get warm water but the shower is merely a trickle, and you will want to wear flipflops so that you don't have to stand in the filthy bath with your bare feet. Bring you own pillowcase, as there is no guaranteed that you sheets will be clean. They haven't even been bothered to hang the mirrors up- they are leaning against the wall behind the hotel.
Do not be fooled by the promise of a pool- it was empty when we arrived- which considering it was the height of summer is not a good sign!
The breakfast is also a massive let down- unless you like stale croissants? Also, DO NOT DRINK THE ORANGE JUICE. There are suspicions that it is mixed with tap water and some of our group members got very ill after drinking it!
You will be much better off staying in one of the cheaper hostels or going for a nice continental hotel such as the Sofitel. Believe me, choosing this hotel will be a mistake!

• Stayed August 2010

Been to Jnan El Harti? Share your experiences!