“Shocking !!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Jnan El Harti

We can't find prices for this hotel
Jnan El Harti
Save Saved
You added Jnan El Harti to your Saves list
30 Rue Cadi Ayad, Marrakech -, Morocco   |
Ranked #453 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Shocking !!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

I stayed in this hotel as part of Topdeck's Moroccan Explorer trip. While I see myself as a traveler who's quite happy with the basics, this was just plain unacceptable.

- there was no hot water in the room and the shower head weren't working
- the aircon didn't work (while 45C outside)
- and what probably got to me the most was that the receptions staff is miserably unhelpful
- continental breakfast certainly nothing to write home about
- main square of Marrakesh 15-20 min walk away

At least the sheets and towels were clean, but that that's about the only good I have to say about Jnan El Harti.

If you're not forced to stay here try out the many other fabulous places in Marrakesh where the poeple are hospitable and the food amazing!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

52 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Glasgow
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

I stayed at this hotel being part of the Topdeck tour Moroccan Explorer tour at the beginning and end of the tour and without any doubt in my mind this was one of the worst hotels I have ever had the misfortune of staying in. On arriving, after a long trip in from Scotland, we were left sitting in the bloody lobby for 45mins, only then to be told that I couldn't have a room with my girlfriend because they had overbooked because someone on the tour had pulled out.........Where's the sense in that. So we were split and had to share rooms with people on the tour who we had only managed to be on a first name basis for 10mins beforehand.

And the staff started as they meant to go on, not giving a monkeys!

Oh, did I mention the acrid smell of sewage that emanates from the lobby?

The hotel used the phrase 'Continental Breakfast' in its widest possible term, the breakfast display can only be described as looking like it was assembled by a 5 year old kid with ADD. If Stale, tooth breaking croissants aren't your thing, then surely the bowls of tepid yellow and orange syrup behind them will get your appetite pumping, if the flies haven’t dive bombed into them first of all. Oh and the excellent display of freshly dug up cucumbers???????? I cant remember them every being a part of a continental breakfast, must have been lost in translation, or the hotel believed it to be a refreshing morning fruit.

Possibly the most interesting thing on the menu was the gut wrenching 'fresh orange juice' which after 3 glasses had managed to bring one poor girl on our tour group down with stomach bug, which she had for at least 10 days of her holiday. If this stuff were a weapon, the UN would class it as a War Crime to use in battle.

Beware of the swarms of ants in the rooms, that on the first night, managed to get into our food, clothes, towels, bed, pillowcases, I even found one on my toothbrush!!!!!!!!!! Oh and the TV's in the room that remote controls dont work, and the buttons on the TV have been handily removed for your convenience, Changing channels was like lock picking, as the only way was to use your sunglasses to poke the channels up and down. Air conditioning, if it did work, was the equivalent to having Henry Hoover blowing semi-cool air at you. There was a control dial on the wall, but Im certain that actually controlled the traffic light sequence 300yrds down the road and one time it when I adjusted the temperature, it did turn the toilet light off???????? The mind boggles at the possibilities.

The pool on the roof-top bar was empty, yahoo! just to kick us when were down.

The lighting in this place was all done with those energy saving 30 secs lighting buttons which with irritating frequency would switch off after 5 seconds causing you to fumble about in the dark trying to find the stairs without twisting your ankle on them.

The attitude of the staff was unbelievable, they honestly didn’t give a monkeys. two guys on the tour group tried to get the password to the Wi Fi, hotel staff said there wasn’t a password, the guys asked again what was the correct WI FI, the hotel receptionist against pointed to the passworded one, the guys asked for the password again and then the receptionist simply said it was broken and turned his back on them. This was the same receptionist who would not look up the 24 HOUR Ryanair hotline number for a girl on the tour because he said they would be shut at 9pm.................

Also we our tour rep agreed with the staff that we could have alcohol served to us one night, but then as soon as he’d left, they changed there mind and told us the best we could get was mint tea!. I can feel my blood pressure rising even as I type this review.

For the last two days of our holiday, we stayed in the Riad Nafis, which was far, far superior in terms of cleanliness, service, food, and the staff were delightfully helpful and informative of the places around the city to see.

Do not, under any circumstances make a stay at the Jnan Harti, in all honesty, it is an embarassment to the hospitality industry.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

I went to this hotel as part of a large group tour. I have to say that it is perhaps the worst hotel I have ever been to. Guests are greeted by bad smells and a dark, gloomy reception area. The staff will barely acknowledge you, yet alone help you. The rooms are dirty, poorly decorated and dark. You will get warm water but the shower is merely a trickle, and you will want to wear flipflops so that you don't have to stand in the filthy bath with your bare feet. Bring you own pillowcase, as there is no guaranteed that you sheets will be clean. They haven't even been bothered to hang the mirrors up- they are leaning against the wall behind the hotel.
Do not be fooled by the promise of a pool- it was empty when we arrived- which considering it was the height of summer is not a good sign!
The breakfast is also a massive let down- unless you like stale croissants? Also, DO NOT DRINK THE ORANGE JUICE. There are suspicions that it is mixed with tap water and some of our group members got very ill after drinking it!
You will be much better off staying in one of the cheaper hostels or going for a nice continental hotel such as the Sofitel. Believe me, choosing this hotel will be a mistake!

• Stayed August 2010
Coalville, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2010

My Girlfriend and I stayed at the Jnan El Harti whilst on a Moroccan Explorer trip. We stopped in two rooms whilst on the tour and I have to say, while being basic by european standards I found them both clean and comfortable. The hotel again is basic but if like me you only use your room as a place to rest your head its a deccent place to stay. The main attractions like Djemaa el Fna and Koutoubia Mosque are a good 15-20 minute walk away the there are some nice shops and restraunts close by. Overall it may not be the best hotel but by no means is it the worst!!

• Stayed September 2009
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2010

We were travelling through Morocco with Explore Tour, and we spent two night in this hotel. The temperature was quite high (35 C and more), and the hotel has A/C, but the system was working only as heating, because the hotel has not switch to A/C yet (at least this is the motivation that people at the reception gave us). We slept with the windows open, and although we were facing a small street, Moroccans are really noisy and we have problems sleeping. The swimming pool is really small, and the bar at the top floor was always dirty.

The room was ok ,and the bathroom too. They have an old PC connected to Internet in the hall free of charge.

If the A/C was working, you may consider staying in this hotel.

Stayed April 2010
Melbourne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

There are better hotels in Marrakech for less. (Try the Hotel Agdal - it has a bar that is, well interesting). The front desk staff were really arrogant and rude as well. It's close to a few places of interest but I'd never stay there again.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
Dakar, Senegal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2009

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights and though it is clearly not shining clean, I found it was ok for a short stay. Sure, the building is old and many repairs would need to be done. But my room was not as bad or dirty as other comments describe, the floor and the sheets were clean. I may have been lucky, but no bugs or leaking bathtub for me. The view over a garden is actually pretty nice. Didn't try the swimming-pool (which does exist though small) nor the restaurant. Still, I guess you can find much better for the same price in Marrakech.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

Been to Jnan El Harti? Share your experiences!