“terrible experience” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Jnan El Harti

We can't find prices for this hotel
Jnan El Harti
30 Rue Cadi Ayad, Marrakech -, Morocco   |
Ranked #454 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
harrogate
“terrible experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

We stayed here as part of a group trip. Seems this is what it's used fro ie for people who have no choice. They were having a 'disco' both nights we stayed. The horrid 'music' resounded around the hotel until gone midnight on both nights....VERY loud. Staff were surly and unhelpful. Breakfast consisted of diluted orange juice, watered down coffee, stale pastries........ thats about it. Quite a way out of the centre. There are much better hotels here.

Room Tip: there are no good rooms
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

52 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011 via mobile

We were at this hotel as part of a group tour, I would name them if I could remember the tour group- based in agadir. The hotel seemed ok initially considering it was with the price of the tour, the bathroom was horrible i really did not want to use the facility but had no choice because of the temperature of marakesh. As we were going to sleep I took off the top cover of the bed to find oily curry stains on my sheets. As I searched further there were some sort of milky stains as though the sheets had not been washed. I took pictures but later to my surprise could see more stains on the mattress which looked like dry blood.

Breakfast was horrible stale bread and a few olives. Coffee tasted horrible and the mint tea had horrible earthy bits in. I am furious that the tour group took as there as my hotel excursion was offering a 4* for 20 quid more with better sights.

• Stayed July 2011
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

Think twice before staying here if you are carrying any valuables. One of our party was handed a key card to a room that was already occupied, much to the shock of the occupants when she walked in.

More importantly, each door has both a physical key (cylinder and tumbler type) and an chip-based card system. I had stepped up to the roof (quite pleasant) for a party, while my wife was down in the room. Imagine her shock when a woman, using a standard key, opened her door, and then claimed in French, to have been looking for her room.

The hotel staff did nothing, but opined that the woman must have been the occupant of room 303 (we were in 309), and they asserted that she could not possibly have unlocked the door, it must have been our fault in not locking the door. We went to the door of 303, my wife identified her as the woman who had entered her room, and I invited her not too gently to present herself at the desk, with her key.

I was rough with her, because I knew by then that she had been seen, trying her key in other doors. I later changed my view, because the key was illegibly labelled. Still, the idiot on the desk would take no action. I found out later that this was because she was a friend of the owner. They still said that her key could not open our door, in spite of her telling them that it did.

I called in our tour leader, a Moroccan, and asked him to require them to get the key and test it. With much heaving of sighs and rolling of eyes, they did. Guees what? It opened our door--as well as 309.

To me (I am a competent mechanic), this says one thing: some lazy locksmith had stripped out most of the tumblers, at least in my lock, but I decided not to comment. When they seemed to think it was fine to have another guest in the hotel able to open our door at will, I said it must be a master key, and thjat it wouold have to be replaced by a chip card. Our tour leader agreed, and undertook to supervise them while they did this.

The breakfast was OK, but security was appalling. Mind you, they had a gorilla in the lobby some of the time, whose only action was to roar that no more than three people could use the lift (registered capacity 5 personnes!). he, of course, was not to be seen when the woman was merrily trying all the doors on the third floor.

The breakfast was passable, the view from the terrace was good, but I would only recommend this place to those with no possessions, or to my enemies.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

I had no choice but to stay in this hotel as part of a tour group. I would not stay here if it wasn't the case.

The room is small, the sheets were stained and musty! Pillows were hard, the bathroom were full of chips and cracks, and water wasn't hot. The flush works on and off, and it was infuriating to know that I could never properly flush off.

Besides the point that it is utterly run down, the service is so poor that I don't even want to give it a 1 rating!

In the hotel, you can never find maps. They don't provide any, not even free ones. The reception were cold and just ignore you with their 'No'. There's no service at this place, and they charge pretty much for it from the rack rates I saw.

Save yourself, and give the riads a go. At least you know you are in a prettier environment.

• Stayed December 2010
Salisbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

Sometimes TripAdvisor upsets me. I read some terrible reviews (but still go to the hotels anyway!) but find that in fact the reviews are totally misleading and I thoroughly enjoy staying there. I usually leave positive reviews and can see the best in any situation. Not so for my 2 day trip to Marrakech.
Marrakech itself is a bustling city, full of wonder and I will recommend it to any streetwise traveller. I went with friends and I think keeping to a small group gives you strength for haggling in the souks as well as the usual 'safety in numbers'. However, for your stay DO NOT stay at the Jnan El Harti. Although this is the only place I stayed in Marrakech I'm pretty sure you can get way better value for your money.
When we first arrived we could see that this wasn't a five star hotel but that's fine, we wanted to keep costs down. It was a bit dingy but when we opened the curtains onto the balcony it was a fairly pleasant view though my other friends had a fabulous view of the very large Jardin Jnane el Harti. The bath in our room was stained so I decided not to use it as we were only staying one night anyway. The shower head would only have come up to my chest if I'd bothered to use it (I'm 5ft 6). There was general cracking of bathroom fixtures and the light switch and plug socket were right next to the sink (Morrocco doesn't think 'Safety First!').
When we went to bed the pillow case had probably in fairness been cleaned but it was a sort of greyish colour like it'd done too many rounds in the dark wash, so i used the raincover of my rucsac as a pillow case.
It was quite warm in Marrakech so although we wanted to sleep with the balcony door open it would have been a bit too noisy to get a decent night's sleep but I think you'll find this everywhere in Marrakech.
The worst thing happened to my travelling companion who was getting dressed in the bathroom then noticed the light flicker. She looked up at it and it moved back up into its (recessed) socket! Make of that what you will but we got dressed in the dark the next day and did it bloody quickly. For this reason I must urge lone female travellers NOT to consider using this hotel.
The breakfast was not expansive. I had a couple of oranges, orange juice and a slice of sponge cake. There were also other drinks like tea and coffee and croissants and bread so better than nothing but not a vast selection.
Throughout our stay the hotel had a really weird smell, kind of like a mixture of sewage and food (cabbage?) which was better when the windows were open and kind of stuck to our clothes for an hour or two after we checked out.
All in all I would never go back simply because I truly believe you can get way better for the same money.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

Luckily tripadvisor saved me from this place. However it was part of a group tour and we only used it to dump our bags before doing a city tour. The sewerage smell in the reception was the first thing we noticed. Very run down room. The staff at reception were amongst the most unhelpful I have ever encountered and refused to call us a taxi when we left. One of our fellow travellers asked for a map of the city and was told he had to pay for it. When he questioned that it said 'free' on it in French, they begrudgingly gave it to him. The hotel was nowhere near the main square and you have to take a cab to get there but negotiating with Marrakech taxi drivers is a complete rip off.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

Of the 10 hotels I stayed at on a group tour, this was my least favorite. Perhaps its that it is in a city, but it was just a bit off. It was Morocco Clean at best-meaning they don't bother with walls or corners, etc. If they don't expect you to touch it, why bother cleaning it.
There is wifi only in the lobby, where you dont want to sit for too long.
The breakfast was ok, usual bread and hard boiled egg, plus they have some vegetables too, which was a plus.
Its about a 20-25 min walk to jemaa el fna, or a bus ride. Its near to cafes and places the upscale locals seem to go to.

• Stayed October 2010

Been to Jnan El Harti? Share your experiences!