“Do not stay here!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Swiss International Imperial Holiday

Save Saved
You added Swiss International Imperial Holiday to your Saves list
Swiss International Imperial Holiday
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   30 avenue Moulay R'chid | Gueliz, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #375 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
“Do not stay here!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

I got back a couple of days ago from marrakech, fab city, shame about the hotel. This hotel is definatly not a 4 star, i'd give it a 2 star and i'm being generous, the rooms are very basic, tired looking, the lifts don't work, myself and my friend got stuck in it, and i'm pregnant too so you can imagine how terrified i was, the sun doesn't even come around to the pool area, it's quite shaded, you don't get any sun anytime around there. Book bed only as b&b is not worth the money, breakfast was very basic, eat out if you can. Also there's a tax charge when you leave its about 16 dirhams per person, per night, which i thought was strange, when i asked the receptionist, could i see the charge in writing, she just glared at me. I payed it anyway and left, never go back to that hotel again. It is a good location, but comfort wise, it's not.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
italiegerardo, General Manager at Swiss International Imperial Holiday, responded to this review, December 8, 2011
We are surprised for our client who complain about the hotel and said that is 2 stars and not 4, this clien has not seen in the reception desk that this hotel has been selected 4 stars hotel not only by our minister of tourism but by the president of federation of tourism international iy you like to send a copy we can! he said was terrified by no sun in the pool , we have the sun until l 4 pm because it depends of rotation of the but we have thought about that and re command our clients to search the full sun in the roof on the 7th floor if he has asked the reception they will tell him where he can find the sun for all the day ! He said that taxes of 16,50 dhs per day and per night it is not written, if he has seen the room price in the room he will find it.
About the comfort, you must know that the hotel has been renoved just in 2009 and2010.we have change all material in the rooms
we have opened a new spa also. The Management take care seriously with the comfort of the hotel for their customers.
We ask ourself if this client has this small problems why he has not ask after the responsible of the hotel to arrange him all. it not kind of himself he can see the good comments below.

286 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

This hotel was ok until the point money was stolen from our room. For this reason...AVOID!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
We are surprised that you declare stolen and we have approve you with our control method key supervision and we have make a historic of the all entrances and we found that no body has entered in your room expt the housekeeper and you. IN you Room is written a notice advice for all the customers that we are not responsible for the gold and money left in the room, we have for that a safe box against 2 euros . We ask our self if you have money why you didn't hire a safety - for us it is strange and not believable. or you want only a receipt for your assurance to win money ????
Sorry that your mistake.
Ipswich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

After booking our holiday I looked at the reviews on tripadvisor (should have done it the other way round, I know) and was quite worried about our choice of hotel.

We found the hotel itself - the bedroom, and stairways in particular to be quite run down, I tend to agree with earlier reviews that it should not be classed as a 4 star.

However we enjoyed the food. Breakfast was continental style with cheese, bread, ham etc. Also cooked food such as boiled eggs or they offered omlettes which they cooked specially for us, which were very good. In addition there were lots of very good cakes and pastries. I don't think we would describe this as 'boring'. Dinner consisted of a choice of several salads for a starter, followed by tagines (lamb, chicken, fish etc) with couscous, or potatoes or pasta, and cakes and pastries for desert. The food changed every day.

The hotel is located about 1.5 miles from the city centre. We walked in (an experience in itself), but a taxi ride costing about 30 dirham would get you into the centre, no problem.

Arriving at about 2.00am service was slow when we arrived, but after that we had only good experience of the staff.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

just returned from the imperial holiday hotel,felt i should write a review and be as honest as possible.
this hotel is 2* not 4*,,how on earth its a 4* amazes me
its rough round the edges and is in dire need of a makeover
the staff were generally very helpful,,upon arrival i realised we had a twin room so asked to be moved to a room with a double bed,,no problem at all,,had to wait an hour for them to get the room sorted but no extra charge for the room change,,the previous review states that this hotel is in a run down part of town and feels dangerous,must of been a different hotel to the one we stayed in,,very lively part of town,,lots of restaurants close by and about a 20 minute walk to the famous jama el fna square
we were b+b and thank god we were,,the breakfast was awful,,bland and boring,,
the room safe was an extra £4 a day !!!!!
to sum it up i think the hotel is poor and everything there is expensive,,,i dont mind paying for quality but this hotel is deffo not quality
i wouldnt stay here again

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Telford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

We arrived at the 4* Hotel Imperial Holiday all excited for our week's family holiday. Oh how we didnt expect the events of the week ahead.
We checked in with the girl receptionist, filled all the forms and waited for our key - the girl told us that the booking was for 2 adults and NOT 1 child - i showed her my paperwork and said that it must be a mistake on their part as all my booking forms had our information in black and white - she looked me in the eye and said NO Madame its your fault not us but not a problem i will sort you another room I just want to go and eat first and i will be back!
I smiled at the girl and asked does she want us to wait in reception with our suitcases while she goes and eats? she huffed and handed me a key and told me the number 214
Off we went to our room into the shabby lift and along the shabby corridors that smelt muggy and old and dusty!!!
Our room was not much better, the bathroom is in need of desperate refurb, the tiles were broken and the grout was more or less missing, the shower head kept falling off the wall, the aircon didnt work and the tv had no reception!! The beds were clean however and we had towels.
Within the hour we was back at reception to mention the aircon, the receptionist told us that she would send an engineer up to have a look at it.
After an hour of the engineer looking and messing with the aircon and tv he told me that we would be best to move rooms as its not working.
The next morning we asked the receptionist for another room because of what the engineer had said she told me she would sort it and let us know.
The evening came and again i asked the receptionist if she had sorted another room she replied that she would contact us
The next morning we still had heard anything so again we went to the reception, a man was there this time and within 10 minutes he had given us a new room - the aircon and tv worked.
Thankfully we had met another 2 couples the first morning who were very friendly and made our holiday fun, if it had not been for them we would of flown home on the Sunday
Whilst lounging by the pool on the Saturday one of the couples had her wedding ring stolen out of her room
On the Sunday when one couple was just about to get in their taxi to the airport the receptionist said they owed money for a bottle of wine, the manager even chased the taxi down the road!!!
The lift kept stopping while we was there and we had to be rescued and carried out - this was after 5 minutes of ringing the bell inside the lift!!!
Sitting by the pool on the metal loungers and muddy floor with the tiles missing from the pool was not my idea of relaxing.
Thankfully we went B&B so it was only breakfast that we had to endure - luckily we found some nice restaurants nearby for our evening meals.
Although it wasnt a holiday of a lifetime we did have nice weather and the food was delicious but the hotel was situated in a run down part of Marrakech that was dirty and quite scary and certainly the hotel should be assessed and rated again - in my opinion 2* tops.
When we checked out of the hotel the reception girl asked for tax when i asked for the documentation she got my forms but couldnt provide any wording that stated i owed tax, i asked to speak to the man receptionist, he came and said yes tax, so again i asked him where it states that i owe the tax, he said its not there but no worries he would contact my travel company.
We were meant to be chauffered back to the airport at 3.30 that afternoon but we just wanted to get away so we got a taxi at 12 and waited at the airport for our plane.
This is def one experience that has been ruined by the fact that they seemed to just want our money and they werent very nice hospitable people.

Room Tip: get pool view - it seems the aircon works that side
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Kingston, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

This hotel is well situated a short walk away from the centre of Nouvelle Ville, which is a fairly swanky area of Marrakech with several lovely restaurants, cafes, bars and clubs. Buses into the centre of town stop nearby, and the road is well served by taxis.

My experience of the hotel was great. It's not a luxury hotel by any stretch, but the room was clean and the staff were friendly. I agree with other reviewers that 4* is probably stretching the definition a bit, and if I was paying a 4* rate I may have been a bit disappointed. However, by avoiding the major tour operators it can be great value.

We slept very well here; the beds were large and comfortable, and the windows were hung with black-out curtains to allow us to sleep through the early morning sun. The room had a room safe, a few chairs, and a wall-hung flat screen TV with lots of satellite channels, three of which were in English.

The bar looked a little dreary, but you can drink by the pool instead and it's quite pleasant out there. The night staff were happy to serve wine and beer to us at the poolside when we arrived late at night, and on other nights too long after the bar was shut.

The spa was closed for renovation while I was there, with alternative spa facilities available at a nearby sister hotel. The rooftop area was not staffed, and there wasn't any entertainment other than that we provided ourselves. I think the hotel can be forgiven for this because there were less than ten residents staying in late August; this may have been due to Ramadan, which is perhaps not the best time to visit Marrakech. I wasn't bothered by the lack of hotel entertainment, because it is always abysmal anyway wherever you stay. Other minor negative points are that service is generally slow around the pool area, and the buffet breakfast is a little tired.

Prepare to pay a tax of around £2.60 per night per couple on arrival or departure, which I think is universal for hotels in the city.

I'd recommend staying here. Unless you want high-end luxury, book up and enjoy a great value base from which to explore Marrakech!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

Personally, I can't understand the reviews... My friend and I stayed for 3 nights in August and had a wonderful time!! As with most places in Marrakech, it is a lot easier to get around if you have a bit of French. I speak some French while my friend speaks none - the staff were just as kind to her as they were to me. They made us feel welcome and like cherished guests. Having been the first Australians to stay there, I would like to think that we won't be the last!

Re: meals at the hotel. We had dinner the first night at the hotel and I have to admit it wasn't the best. So we didn't eat there again!! We didn't have breakfast there at all, because we didn't want to!! Book a room only and you won't feel like you've wasted money on something you don't want to use - it's a fairly simple solution!!

We had a beautiful room that had a balcony overlooking the swimming pool, and it's true that there is no furniture out there, so we dragged out the table and tub chairs provided in our room. They weren't brought back in while we were there.

The pool was beautiful and had enough sun-loungers around it that you could be in the shade or sun if you wanted to, but it was certainly never out of sunlight. As for the bar in the hotel, yes it is overpriced! As are all hotel bars! There are no fridges in the rooms, which was unfortunate and somewhat inconvenient, but not an unsurmountable issue. Buy drinks from the shop down the street!!

This hotel was nowhere near being the 2-star monstrosity people are calling it. Perhaps we had lower expectations, perhaps we were lucky... I don't know. All I know is that I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Swiss International Imperial Holiday? Share your experiences!