“Even better than we remembered” 5 of 5 stars

Dar Zemora
Rue el Aandalib | BP 12013, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #28 of 467 Hotels in Marrakech
London
“Even better than we remembered”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Dar Zemora for the second time in June. We were keen to return after such a relaxing, enjoyable trip last time but this visit was even better. The setting is so beautiful and relaxing in gorgeous gardens, the staff couldn't be more helpful and the food was absolutely delicious whether Moroccan cuisine or international. With the hustle and bustle of the Medina 15 mins away by taxi, the tranquil setting of Dar Zemora really gave us the best of both worlds - an interesting city to explore and a beautiful place to relax. Five stars!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011 via mobile

I have now been twice to Dar Zemora and I love it there. The service is legendary and one feels entirely looked after. The rooms are charming and authentic. I would not hesitate to recommend to all. If you need a break from the chaos of modern life Do yourself a favour and go to Dar Zemora

• Stayed June 2011
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

My girlfriend and I have just returned from Dar Zemora where we spent seven nights. It was wonderful from start to finish.

The staff were the best we have encountered at any hotel, boutique or otherwise. The food was sensational - every meal we ate at Dar Zemora was first class and terrific value. Unless you journey into town, you will need to eat at the hotel as there are no alternatives within walking distance. This wasn’t a problem for us and we really looked forward to eating at the hotel. The rooms were equally impressive – spacious, beautifully furnished and clean. We spent a few nights in one of the double bedrooms which was great and then moved to the Zahara suite which was stunning. The garden and pool areas were equally beautiful.

As regards location, the Palmeraie (known locally as the Beverly Hills of Marrakech) suited us perfectly. It is sufficiently far from town to provide the peace and quiet we were after and only a short cab ride into the centre of town (200dhr plus tip will get you there and back and the journey takes about 15 mins).

If you’re in any doubt as to whether to stay at Dar Zemora, don’t be. It’s fantastic and we will be going back for sure.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Dar Zemora in April 2011. It was the last 4 days of our 11 day Moroccan trip and our 5th time to Marrakech so, we were quiet happy to stay out of the Medina. I had wanted to stay at Dar Zemora for a while and knew it was a special place but, we were both totally taken aback when we arrived.

Dar Zemora is totally beautiful and a real oasis. The furnishings inside are so well put together and I loved the fact that there were so many spaces for you to loll around in - my favourites being the library and the lounge next to the dining room. I also totally loved all the music that was being played – I was constantly checking the iPod so I can add new artists to mine! My husband was totally in awe of the gardens and couldn’t think of anywhere he had seen everything so well manicured.

As for our room, I was a bit apprehensive before arriving since Lindsay (the owner) had told me the bathroom in the Bebra room was very small. Okay, it’s not as big as the other rooms (I popped my head into a couple of empty rooms) but, it wasn’t as small as I was expecting and the hand painted ceiling was gorgeous. There was plenty of storage space and a huge brass shower over the very deep bath - I loved the little touch of a bath pillow.

The room itself was also lovely and spacious with 2 full length windows that let the light in and a couple of rattan chairs. I was very grateful for the proper feather pillows and a mattress with some squidge. A regular feature of the other places we stayed on our Morocco trip was incredibly solid beds and hard pillows.

The pool wasn’t heated but once you got in was a lovely temperature to cool you down and to enable some good lengths to be clocked up. There were plenty of outdoor places to relax either by the pool or maybe swinging in a hammock. I also had a massage whilst I was there which was lovely.

Breakfasts were a light but delicious affair of yoghurt and fruit, freshly squeezed orange juice, pancakes and bread, eaten in the dappled sunlight under the terrace pagoda. On the first night of our stay we had the 4 course Moroccan dinner and the food was lovely and reasonably priced. The wine was also priced the same as other places we had visited on our trip.

We dined at Café de la Poste one night which had a lovely colonial feel to it, a great menu and good food. We also ate at Restaurant Casanova where we had really nice pasta and the pizzas looked good. Our meal at Al Fassia was nice. It’s a busy restaurant and the service was good with plenty of meat tagines on the menu. I only eat fish so had to make do with a vegetable tagine which was nice but not the best I’d tasted on our trip. My husband however, really enjoyed his lamb tagine.

Yes, Dar Zemora is a 15 minute drive from the centre of Marrakech (at a price of 200 Dirhams for a return taxi) but that isn’t an issue and we made the trip twice on a couple of days. To be honest, having stayed in the medina on numerous occasions, it’s lovely the have the option to get back to a little oasis and a swimming pool after a sweaty day trawling the souks.

Dar Zemora is certainly a very special place and we’d definitely return and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

My partner and I spent 5 wonderful days here; we were very fortunate with the weather so were able to enjoy all features of this fabulous hotel. The staff were wonderful, the food delicious, service could not be bettered. The decor was tasteful and beautiful and it provided a wonderfully serene atmosphere away from the hustle and bustle of the town.

We're already planning a trip back next year...

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

We prevaricated for a long time about whether to stay in the Medina or at Dar Zemora, which is about 15 minutes out of the centre on the area known as The Palmeriae. In the end, we felt we needed to be able to escape the madness of the souks and are glad we made this choice, but with one or two caveats.

Firstly, you do feel a bit isolated. There is no way you can go out without booking a car in advance and using the same car to get you home: a yellow taxi, though a fraction of the price, is unlikely to be able to find the property and you would be unlikely to be able to provide directions. This means you need to allow a minimum of 200dh (about £18) a day for transport, and as a morning and evening trip would be double that, your choices can’t help but be influenced by this.

The property itself is delightful. Somebody commented that it has all the character of a Laing home but I’d like to see the English new build that has made use of so many fine, hand-crafted finishes (polished plaster walls, mosaic floors, hand-painted ceilings), all to excellent effect.

However, the lack of lighting almost drove me to distraction, and I was forced to sit inside to read in the evening instead of on the delightful terrace, where it was impossible to see your hand in front of your nose, let alone read a book. (My husband’s iPad really came into its own here.)
The gardens are very attractive, with a lovely swimming pool and some reasonable wooden sunbeds, although more comfortable mattresses wouldn’t go amiss. The rooms and bathrooms are spacious and well finished, with lovely, fluffy towels, but again the light is all but non-existent.

The food is patchy. The light lunches are the best feature here, consisting of a small amount of meat of chicken and three delicious Moroccan salads, usually with rice or couscous, too. There is also a small dessert.

Breakfast, though, is very unimaginative: a ramekin dish with some fresh fruit; a yogurt and three bakery items. These were a tiny soft roll, a Moroccan fried pancake and a third item which changed daily. I can’t say that any of these were to my taste: oh for a piece of baguette or a fresh croissant!

We had dinner in the hotel twice and were surprised to find that the soup was the same on both nights, even though they were only two days apart. The portions are miniscule and the courses served up much too fast (as one dish is cleared the next is put down) so the whole thing is over in about 25 minutes.

The staff are delightful and helpful, but I did feel it was inappropriate to leave the house without a member of the management team for long periods from early evening until after breakfast. This type of property always benefits from resident owners or at least managers.

Reading over this review, I think I have been a little harsh, because we really did have a very lovely time and I would recommend the hotel to a friend, but I think a little constructive criticism can go a long way.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

I'm not going to spout on about this place. The owners are Brits, this means they have a better grasp than locally owned Dar's of what a traveller looks for. They have fine tuned their staff to run like a jewelled watch. Everything is professionally done right down to knowing not to encroach too much on the clients privacy.
It's a rare find in that customer care is top of the list...and I bet almost everyone moans about that from time to time.
The owners deserve a pat on the back for what they have achieved. Good luck to you.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Dar Zemora? Share your experiences!