“Excellent value for money” 4 of 5 stars

Diwane Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   24 rue Yougoslavie | Guéliz, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #247 of 461 Hotels in Marrakech
Jersey, United Kingdom
“Excellent value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Have just returned from a one week stay at the Diwani Hotel & Spa with my two 20 year old daughters. When we arrived, had to wait an hour for our room but that was ok as we arrived at 11am. Front of house/reception staff were charming and helpful. We stayed in room 120 overlooking the pool. Good size room for the 3 of us. Very clean, beds changed every other day, our clothes were always folded and shoes tidied (not that we are untidy anyway). The room is basic but good air con and fridge. There is a notice saying bringing food and drink into the hotel is forbidden but we brought things in our handbags/carrier bags and nothing was said. We were on a half board basis. Breakfast and dinner was adequate but if you want fine dining then go somewhere else as this will not be for you. I knew what to expect in advance so was'nt particularly bothered. You can get good cheap meals outside of the hotel if you choose to do so. Apart from one waiter in the restaurant, every member of staff were lovely. Nothing too much trouble and very friendly. There were some small issues which were quickly rectified. The toilet was leaking water but this was attended to almost immediately. We needed more pillows (you only get one) and these were brought to our room within 10 minutes. Some days we had lunch at the bar (which we paid for). Simple food but reasonably priced. I noticed that some people have suffered from stomach upsets whilst staying at this hotel and assume its the food. Myself and one of my daughters also had tummy upsets but my other daughter was fine. However, we all ate the same food. I actually put it down to the amount of soda and water we were drinking. Soda has a high sugar content and this can act as a laxative. Also the heat doesn't help. Don't expect a British 4* equivalent as you won't get it. It's a 3* European standard. It's basic but clean, large rooms and centrally located. The pool area is quite small but again, well maintained. July is a very hot month with temperatures well in excess of 40 degrees and its also ramadam so bear this in mind. However, this did not spoil our holiday at all, in fact it made it all the more interesting. We visited the Atlas Mountains and Berber Villages. Very good tour. We took a horse and carriage ride (2 1/2 hours) at night through the old and new cities. Excellent! We went to the Moroccan show at night which was good although it is for the tourists but we still enjoyed it. We went to the souks but I would advise if you don't have a man with you, then go with a guide. We were going to go on the bus on our own but coincidentally one of the waiters from our hotel was just finishing his shift and asked us where we were going. I told him the souks and he said there were areas that would not be safe for women on their own and offered to come with us. He didn't want any money but was simply concerned for our well being. He actually spent most of the morning and part of the afternoon with us taking us to the best souks and keeping us safe. I must say I'm glad he came with us as there were areas where I felt that my daughters would not have been safe and I didn't notice many tourists either!. The Moroccans love to barter hard so bear this in mind as it can be exhausting as sometimes they just wont take no for an answer. Beware the one-legged taxi driver outside the hotel. He seems very sweet at first but after a couple of days he becomes a pain in the backside and by day five, I truly wanted to wrap his other leg around his neck!!! All in all this was an excellent week. Just bear in mind you get what you pay for. One week, half board including all flights and transfers for the three of us was £1000. You can't get much cheaper than that. If you take all of these things into account, I'm sure you will enjoy your stay in Marrakech.

Room Tip: Room 120 overlooks the pool. Good size and quiet away from the road.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Arrived late at night and checked in with no problems and off I went to room 514. Very large room for just me with a balcony looking down onto the court yard area, fantastic AC and large bathroom though the shower wasn't that brilliant (one of the few times I've got back from a trip and realised that my is better than the one in the hotel!). Breakfast is very basic really but lots of choice and the fresh made crepes with honey are amazing. Lunch meals are fairly stock faire and seem to come with French fries always and there was a small confusion one day that resulted in a steak arriving instead of lamb skewers but what the heck it tasted great.
The pool area is fantastic and the guy that looks after you there very attentive. WiFi is in the reception and courtyard area only which is a bit bad. Didn't experience the "water and food police" mentioned in other reviews at all and I brought my own in regularly.
The staff were always very friendly and helpful with the rooms being cleaner every day to a high standard, they even tidied my shoes into a neat order, they spray the rooms with a great smelling air freshener and have some funky designs for the bed covers which seemed to change on a daily basis. I had the VIP Hammam massage package which was good though slightly disappointing, had better in London to be honest, but the spa itself was good though it might have halped if they'd turned the steam room on before i got into it. The gym equipment they have is fairly basic but enough to keep you going while away.

All in all a great hotel and staff, including the helpful and friendly guy in the hotel shop, though slightly far from the centre for my liking (taxi's aren't that expensing but I do like to walk) but would recommend it as a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

The Diwane is a very nice hotel not 4 star but very friendly. We paid for full board which was good but the food served at lunch would be served again in the evening looking a little different.We had trouble with are AirCon unit in are room at 10.00 pm and the maintenance man was there in 10 minutes good to fix the problem.
We went on a day trip to Ourika valley to see the waterfall which was nice a bout 2 hours into the Atlas Mountains but the last part to see the fall is a half an hour walk over rocks and big boulders which is very dangerous , three people from are group did not go any further but this is not told in the information.
If you like of roading go for it.
Back to the hotel, rooms are basic but good
Rooms looking towards the pool have balconies and the pool is nice and always can get a sun lounger.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Warrington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Diwane Hotel provides a good level of accommodation for the money, and it has the benefit of a 'riad' style pool area which gets you away from the hustle & bustle of the Marrakech streets.

Hotel was clean but basic, with a really nice pool area, and the restaurant food was decent quality but limited. Lots of salads (and stir fried peppers with spices for breakfast!), breakfast - eggs, beans, fruits, 'turkey ham' & cheese, or Morrocan pancakes, evening dinner - tagines, fish, chicken, lots of veg, salads, soup.

Be sure to get a room over-looking the pool (room no.'s 101-105, 201-205, 301-305, 401-405 or 501-505) as these are on the opposite side of the hotel from the busy (noisy) road & have a nice view of the pool / outdoor courtyard area.

Don't be fooled this is not a luxurious hotel, and is not really in line with English 4** hotels, but it is 'nice', clean & is an affordable place to stay within walking distance of the medina (1/2 hour), & there are plenty of Morrocan cafes / restaurants (no alcohol served) around the local vicinity. But the hotel does sell alcoholic drinks, & directly opposite the hotel is Hotel Renaissance which has a 'sky bar' on the 6th & 7th Floors, which you can drink & eat at whilst overlooking the whole of Marrakech! This is a nice place to end the day & watch the sunset.

Don't be put off by some of the other reviews on this site. Our experience was good, & if we did want to go back to Marrakech again, we would definitely stay here again.

PS. If you don't like the heat don't go in July... 40+ most days! Hot hot hot! Thank goodness for the cool pool.....

Room Tip: Be sure to get a room over-looking the pool (room no.'s 101-105, 201-205, 301-305, 401-405 or 50...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We have just got back from a 5 night/6 day stay at Hotel Diwane, and what a amazing time we had! Every single member of staff was delightful; they were polite, courteous and bent over backwards to ensure we were happy. The hotel was very clean; housekeepers were out from the crack of dawn washing down the pool area, terraces, as well as inside the hotel. Our rooms were cleaned daily and fresh towels left daily. The food was amazing especially the breakfast and the head chef is 10/10. very friendly and delighful. The front desk are also very helpful. Thank you.
I wouldn't hesitate to a) recommend this hotel to others and b) return for another visit! I think the value for money is outstanding. I will be coming back next year with my girls again and this time 10 of us.
This place deserves a yearly visit.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

On arrival staff booked us in very quickly explaining that restaurant was still open for dinner. Staff in general were friendly and helpful.

Dinner was a bit dried up as we were later than most guests. Breakfast buffet was amazing and lunch good too.

The pool area was cleaned every day but loungers and cushions hadn't seen soap and water this side of.Christmas. However towels were available every day by the pool.

On the first morning we met with Said to learn about trips available. I have to say he was a wealth of knowledge on local history and where to go and what to see. No pressure to buy trips.

We phoned the next day to book half day tour of souks, palace, tombs and gardens. I would recommend this tour. Well worth it. Our guide was brilliant.

I would return to Marrakesh but perhaps a month earlier as July is very hot for walking about.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

This is a lovely hotel and great value for money. The breakfasts good but evening buffet very repetitive. Hotel spotlessly clean. Nice pool area. Shame the clientele like to have their I phones blaring, dive bombing competitions and towels on sunbeds from a ridiculous hour of the morning. This should not distract from this review. A good honest hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Diwane Hotel? Share your experiences!