“Good value for money” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #248 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Bolton
“Good value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

We booked the Diwane hotel for a cheap sunshine break before our wedding later in the year and were pleased with what we received for the money spent. On booking we had the option to upgrade from bed and breakfast to half board for around £12 each so we went ahead with this fully not ending to eat out on a number of occasions.

On arrival check was easy, efficient and the reception staff very friendly and helpful and remained so throughout the holiday. We encountered no language barrier with the which as been complained about in other reviews.

Our room was spacious, with a huge bathroom, well air conditioned, clean, well kept and had a fridge fir your use. Also had a pleasant balcony overlooking the restaurant / pool. Although not a scenic view with building sites and busy road outside the hotel (this is a city hotel so this can't be a complaint for anyone booking this) it was pleasant to sit out in the evening and listen to the surroundings and watch the daily hustle and bustle.

Food wise - breakfast was very good. Selection of pastries, breads, cooked meats, cheeses and salads (didn't try these as I'm not salad eater at breakfast) along with freshly squeezed orange juice, fresh omelettes made To order and fresh pancakes.

Evening meals always ad something I eat but would get a bit boring after a week. We at there give nights out of 7. There were always chicken, beef or lamb, fish, cous cous, vegetables and potatoes of different varieties each evening along with huge selections of salads, a soup an some yummy deserts. Again I didn't try the salads but unlike in previous reviews I didn't see any flies around them unless other lazy guests had left them uncovered. In which case what can they expect. All n all worth the extra money. Sufficient but nothing amazing.

We really liked the pool but we found it frustrating on some days having to wait ages for towels when the pool guy was nowhere to be seen. It is also annoying only getting one towel each which isn't big enough to cover the sunbed. In the 40degree heat the beds got so hot they were painful to touch if not covered.

The only other things letting this hotel down are drinks prices - we tended to buy our alcohol at the supermarket up the road (Acima - turn right up the main road then left at the next major junction) and drink on the balcony. We were never stopped going into the hotel but didn't walk in with supermarket bags. Also the lunchtime restaurant staff were unbelievably slow.

One more major plus point is that before leaving the reception staff stored our luggage and gave us a courtesy room to shower in after a day in the pool free of charge.

If I could summarise this hotel in one sentence: very good value for money with friendly staff and a very convenient central
city location. Anyone disagreeing with this needs to bear in mind the price. You can't expect a champagne lifestyle on a lemonade budget. We had friends staying at the Sofitel who spent probably four times as much for on,y four nights.

On a last note - the sky bar at the hotel across the road and the kaz bar just down the road were fantastic for drinks and cocktails albeit pricey (but ths was the same everywhere in Marrakech)

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

555 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

My friend and I have just returned from a short break to Marrakech. We opted for this hotel ultimately for its location and we felt we got a good deal on half board. Our room was on the top floor and was over looking the pool and yes as others have said, it looked like work was going on nearby but don't let that spoil your time. We had no issue with the room and was glad there was a fridge as we could put bottles of water away. Only thing as others have said they do make a fuss over food/drink coming into the hotel - there is a sign on the door. It is cheaper to go to one of the local corner shops and get a bottle of water for about 6 dirhams whereas in the hotel it is 22.

We walked every where, the only day we did not was when we went to Atlas Mountains for a day trip.

The tourist information centre is nearby, we recommned a day trip to the Atlas Mountains.

In terms of the hotel, food was fine, yes there were a a couple flies we saw and two birds appeared one morning. It is hot and they fly about. Basic food was chicken, fish and meat (there were various variations for lunch/dinner).

It was a buffet service for both meals. Personally i would not want to do half board for a week, 3/4 days was sufficient.

If you are not happy about the local food, there is a mcdonalds, pizza hut, kfc nearby (within 15 mins walk).

Also we found a lovely italian run by a lovely french family. It is called Little Italy city. When you come out of the hotel on the main road, turn right and cross the road and you will find it. Perfectly cosy and lovely food.

Across the road fromt he Hotel is Le Reinessance where you will find Sky Bar. A lovely little find, and thanks to those who suggested it on here.

Cheese Me which is nearby is somewhere definitely to go.

Finally comments have been made about cats, this is a city issue, we saw dogs too. We saw no cats at the hotel last week. We saw 4 during our stay when we went out and about in the city.

We actually saw a lot more near Atlas Mountains.

We definitely recommend this hotel as a central location to visit the city and are glad we did not stay in the Medina.

This is more of a 3* hotel at best but clearly is considered a 4 by Moroccan standards.

We have seen many negative reviews complaining about various things, food seems to be a big issue. As said there are other options.

We found out one hotel cost 1500 euros a night, so if you want flashy hotels go there. There are plenty of other resort hotels in the area you can stay in.

Go with an open mind, you are visiting another country, experience another culture. Apart from a couple of times, where had some people hassling us to buy stuff we found Moroccan people really warm and friendly.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Just returned from a 9 days family holiday at the Diwane. Overall a good experience.
Plus points:
Great reception staff, pool guy and maidservice.
Very quiet, so quite relaxing.
Good pool area and good food.(Hello to the chef who used to live in Brimsdown, Enfield)
Great central location

Minor points:
It was Ramadan so not a lot happening during the day. Not much activities or entertainment for kids other than the pool. We've been to Marrakech before and the hotel we stayed in had activities for children.

Room Tip: We emailed ahead and requested our rooms so we had a choice on arrival and chose a quiet room overlo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Surrey UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Diwane at the end of June and over all I was very impressed.

I’ve read a few reviews from people who clearly stayed here around the same time to us and I’m quite baffled by some of the comments.

The location is fantastic - the tourist bus stop is right outside the building and you are within walking distance of some fantastic restaurants, cafe's and bars. No more than 30dirhams taxi ride from the Medina you get to experience both the French and Arab side of Marrakech. If you want a city break where you want to see the sites but also have a pool to chill out by as a bonus, this is the place for you.

It’s a city hotel, so there are building works around – its not intrusive, the sound never disrupted our sleep. If you want to be in the centre of town, there will be dust and a bit of building – this is North Africa after all. If you want to look out of your window and see palm trees and tranquil surroundings, don’t stay in the centre of Gueliz.

We were half board - we took this option as it was only £16 each to upgrade from B&B - so I wasn’t expecting much – we used it a couple of times. Both lunch and dinner are very nice. Lunch is probably better as it’s from a menu rather than buffet style. We ended up not using it every day as it’s a 3 course lunch and in 40 degree heat was just a little much – there are lots of local café’s you can pick lunch up in for very little.

The rooms were a reasonable size – there is only wifi in the lobby – this is as advertised so I find complaints about this to be a bit unfair. The staff were very friendly always helpful and we had no problem with language. They gave us early check in free of charge and there was always someone on reception whatever time of day or night we arrived.

The hotel is very clean, I saw nothing unhygienic there. The cats are an issue across the whole city, not specific to this hotel - I didn’t think they were a problem to be honest, they lounged about outside the lobby, not really bothering anyone. I suspect people who have a massive issue with this don’t leave the country very often.

Only complaints I have was our air conditioner was very noisy – although I didn’t complain about this so gave the hotel no opportunity to rectify it and the cleaners consistently forgot to replace our towels – this was quite irritating when you’d get back from a day out/swim unable to shower.

One note, if you like a drink – the Sky bar in the hotel across the road is pretty much the same price as the hotel bar in the evening and provides awesome views over the city – better to pop there instead. Drink in Marrakech isn’t cheap, may as well do it with a view!

I’ve read a comment that it’s not a 'romantic' hotel. Its a hotel - not a resort, if you want beautiful views and the all inclusive experience then stay in one of the resorts by the Palmaries. We got engaged on this holiday, so the hotel clearly didn’t impact too much on our romance?!

All in all this hotel represents fantastic value, our complaints were minimal and given we paid under £600 for both of us for 5 nights with flights I was very very pleased.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

The Pictures uploaded on this Site online don't really look like the hotel itself. My boyfriend and i stayed there for 4 nights and 5 days.. and i don't think we will go back there again, any time soon.. the was no variation on the breakfast as served the same everyday.. other than that there were cats everywhere.. coming closer .. just annoyed me a lot. the Spa was very very good and not too expensive.. so if you stay there long enough, make sure to have a nice treatment. Internet facilities only at the reception, the staff there super kind!!

All in all it was alright, don't think we will go back there though.. any couples who plan a romantic stay.. its not the right place to be. if you just want to go there for a sunholiday its perfect.

be careful on the streets, lots of beggars all around.. trying to sell you hats and stuff.. !!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

What can I say about my week long stay at the The Dwaine Hotel? Well it was not what I had expected. There were several factors which made my stay here terrible.

I went on a half board basis and the food looked unhygienic and was diabolical. There was no variation - Breakfast and Dinners.

For the full 7 days, the bread rolls, cake slices and pastries were all stale.The orange juice was not fresh. There were million of small black flies on the orange slices, bread products and stale pastries – YUCK! A chef was making ommelettes which were oily and absolutely disgusting!

For Dinner, I was extremely disappointed by the lack of Moroccan cuisine. For the whole week, they had the same cous cous dish, a fish and chicken dish which were both undercooked, sauted vegetables, soup which looked unappertising, salad accompaniments and similar disserts both covered with small black flies. Several nights, I felt ill and could not have a good nights sleep. Half way through the holiday, I had to abandon these meals and instead resort to eating cereal bars, crisps and chocolate bought from the local supermarket. What a waste of money!

Cats

I was shocked to see that they were stray cats in the restaurant area. I did alert the staff to remove them on numerous occasions. However, they always left the doors open and the cats kept coming back into the restaurant area.

Rooms and Cleanliness

You could not fault the room size. However, the bed sheets looked as if they had never been washed or changed. There was also a lack of English TV channels.
My room was also situated where I constantly heard construction work taking place and dogs barking keeping me up for most nights.

The staff were incompetent. Prior to our departure date i.e. 2 days in advance, we had asked them to book a taxi to take us to the airport on time. However, they had booked it for the wrong time and we were worried that we were going to miss our flight.

This hotel was definitely not the standard of any 4 star hotels which I have previously stayed in nor is it good value for money.

Overall Comment

I would sum up my stay at the Dwaine hotel as being unpleasant and stressful. I will certainly not be staying in this hotel in the near future!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed here for two nights, one at the beginning and one at the end of a charity trekking trip through the Atlas Mountains.
A large group of 25 of us arrived at midnight on Friday, and the reception staff were well prepared and very helpful. They looked after some of our baggage while we were away in the mountains, ready for our return the following Saturday.
The rooms were very large and comfortable and well-equipped with TV, air-con and fridge. The two single beds pushed together were huge, and my friend and I didn't even bother to separate them. We had a very restful sleep on both nights, despite our room being at the front of the hotel. The bathroom was large and traditionally decorated.
There was a great selection at breakfast, with some lovely buttery pancakes/bread cooked while you wait. The pool was a welcome sight on return from the mountains and we made good use of it. Really nice to have a pool attendant handing out fresh towels, but unfortunately the bar and waiting staff were a little slow. Just put this down to being on 'Morocco time' though!
I can't comment on proximity to local attractions as I didn't stay long enough, but I'd say that from my experience you couldn't go too far wrong with a stay here.
We got a taxi to Pacha easily enough from outside - Pacha definitely recommended!

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are at the back overlooking the pool, but also overlooking some building sites! Rooms...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Diwane Hotel? Share your experiences!