“Marrakech Madness!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #248 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Marrakech Madness!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

The Pictures uploaded on this Site online don't really look like the hotel itself. My boyfriend and i stayed there for 4 nights and 5 days.. and i don't think we will go back there again, any time soon.. the was no variation on the breakfast as served the same everyday.. other than that there were cats everywhere.. coming closer .. just annoyed me a lot. the Spa was very very good and not too expensive.. so if you stay there long enough, make sure to have a nice treatment. Internet facilities only at the reception, the staff there super kind!!

All in all it was alright, don't think we will go back there though.. any couples who plan a romantic stay.. its not the right place to be. if you just want to go there for a sunholiday its perfect.

be careful on the streets, lots of beggars all around.. trying to sell you hats and stuff.. !!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

556 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

What can I say about my week long stay at the The Dwaine Hotel? Well it was not what I had expected. There were several factors which made my stay here terrible.

I went on a half board basis and the food looked unhygienic and was diabolical. There was no variation - Breakfast and Dinners.

For the full 7 days, the bread rolls, cake slices and pastries were all stale.The orange juice was not fresh. There were million of small black flies on the orange slices, bread products and stale pastries – YUCK! A chef was making ommelettes which were oily and absolutely disgusting!

For Dinner, I was extremely disappointed by the lack of Moroccan cuisine. For the whole week, they had the same cous cous dish, a fish and chicken dish which were both undercooked, sauted vegetables, soup which looked unappertising, salad accompaniments and similar disserts both covered with small black flies. Several nights, I felt ill and could not have a good nights sleep. Half way through the holiday, I had to abandon these meals and instead resort to eating cereal bars, crisps and chocolate bought from the local supermarket. What a waste of money!

Cats

I was shocked to see that they were stray cats in the restaurant area. I did alert the staff to remove them on numerous occasions. However, they always left the doors open and the cats kept coming back into the restaurant area.

Rooms and Cleanliness

You could not fault the room size. However, the bed sheets looked as if they had never been washed or changed. There was also a lack of English TV channels.
My room was also situated where I constantly heard construction work taking place and dogs barking keeping me up for most nights.

The staff were incompetent. Prior to our departure date i.e. 2 days in advance, we had asked them to book a taxi to take us to the airport on time. However, they had booked it for the wrong time and we were worried that we were going to miss our flight.

This hotel was definitely not the standard of any 4 star hotels which I have previously stayed in nor is it good value for money.

Overall Comment

I would sum up my stay at the Dwaine hotel as being unpleasant and stressful. I will certainly not be staying in this hotel in the near future!

London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed here for two nights, one at the beginning and one at the end of a charity trekking trip through the Atlas Mountains.
A large group of 25 of us arrived at midnight on Friday, and the reception staff were well prepared and very helpful. They looked after some of our baggage while we were away in the mountains, ready for our return the following Saturday.
The rooms were very large and comfortable and well-equipped with TV, air-con and fridge. The two single beds pushed together were huge, and my friend and I didn't even bother to separate them. We had a very restful sleep on both nights, despite our room being at the front of the hotel. The bathroom was large and traditionally decorated.
There was a great selection at breakfast, with some lovely buttery pancakes/bread cooked while you wait. The pool was a welcome sight on return from the mountains and we made good use of it. Really nice to have a pool attendant handing out fresh towels, but unfortunately the bar and waiting staff were a little slow. Just put this down to being on 'Morocco time' though!
I can't comment on proximity to local attractions as I didn't stay long enough, but I'd say that from my experience you couldn't go too far wrong with a stay here.
We got a taxi to Pacha easily enough from outside - Pacha definitely recommended!

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are at the back overlooking the pool, but also overlooking some building sites! Rooms...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Just returned from visit to Marrakech and chose the Diwane Hotel. Recent reviews were mixed but we found it to be perfect for what we wanted. Food was "ok", i'd suggest the evening meal rather than lunch as better quality. Room was cleaned thoroughly each day with fresh towels. Our rooms were first floor overlooking courtyard and pool area - no terrace but not a big deal. Reception staff excellent, restaurant staff could have smiled a little more. Pool guy is very attentive and provides towels etc on demand. We did leave our sun lotion one day and was told they didn't have it - lo and behold, it was being sold in the gift shop next day. we challenged the guy and he did return it to us, saying he was trying to help the pool guy with cash for his baby!!!
They are very strict about bringing drinks and food into the hotel, beware! City Tour Bus stops right outside the hotel for both tours.

Room Tip: Only had our rooms to go by, cant fault them - 118/120
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Great location, about a half hour walk into the main square which was an easy walk but quite hard in the midday sun. Right next to lots of restaurants and shops. However, we failed to find any bars or places to go after dinner but I don't think it is the right city for bars anyway! The hotel was absolutely spotless and constantly being cleaned. The staff were delightful, particularly the lovely girl on reception who spoke perfect English, however, many staff didn't, but that wasn't a problem. The pool area and rooms were also lovely... don't really have anything bad to stay. Great value for money and perfect place for a relaxing spot out of the hustle and bustle of the city. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony, our was room 307 and was perfect!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

The Diwane hotel was about a 30 minute walk Djeema el Fna (market), if you’re walking I would recommend early morning or when it starts to cool around 6pm other times or if not its only a 5 min taxi ride- we paid about 20-30 diarhrams for a petit taxi, if the taxi drivers says more just laugh, say no and go ask the next taxi driver!
If it a lovely 5-10 minute stroll to the Jardin Majorelle, literally walk out of the hotel to the main intersection, turn left and just keep walking straight for 5 minutes and you will see the signs for the Gardens are on your left hand side.
Hotel its self was a standard hotel, I would probably say it wouldn’t be 4 stars in UK hotel standards but it was a comfortable and very affordable, good location hotel. For July, the air conditioning was a god send and a lovely pool and surprisingly plenty on sun loungers! (Good Hint is to get a lounger on the grass area- you get sun all day long!)
My sister and I had a Hamman Massage at the hotel, was lovely and we tipped well- was not sure what to expect but the women was friendly just was apity there was only her so I had to wait about 30 minutes till my sisters was over but I just stayed in the steam room and relaxed.
The food was amazing, very Moroccan. The Cold salads where the best and always a variety of meats and cous cous at dinner, all the staff where friendly and did not mind if you decided to save some money and not drink in.
We found a supermarket about 5 minute walk away and sneaked in bottles of water as they were 22d in the hotel but 3d at the supermarket, just make sure you sneak it in as the security told me off one day (in a nice way then hid his eyes and said he’ll pretend he didn’t see me)
Lovely hotel, Half board was perfect to be able to explore Marrkech and sample Moroccan food elsewhere, and for the price… Bargain!

Room Tip: Ask for a Pool side view with a balcony, you get wifi from the 3rd floor down.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

The Diwani is a 4 star hotel situated outside the medina walls in the new town. It is about a 30 minute walk or a 5 min taxi ride to the Djeema el Fna (market) It is quite hard walking in July heat and I would recommend getting a taxi (of which there are 2 types – Petit taxis & Grande taxis) The petit taxi’s are metered but the grande taxis are not. We were advised by Diwane hotel reception staff that a petit taxi should cost no more than 25 dirham (£2.20) It actually cost about 8 dirham (£0.60p). However, unfortunately one day we got in a grande taxi by mistake and didn’t notice until we had set off. The driver charged 50 dirham (£4.60). I complained it was too expensive and he pointed to a tariff on his window showing a minimum price of 50 dirham. Needless to say he didn’t get a tip but it is customary to tip taxi’s 10-20%.
The Diwane Hotel itself is quite nice, it has an impressive atrium reception area and the staff are very helpful and mostly speak good English. The restaurant however, I would avoid like the plague. Our first night we arrived at the hotel at 7pm and decided to eat in the hotel restaurant for ease. Alarm bells should have rung when we entered as there were only a few people eating there. It is a buffet and there were no prices displayed anywhere. The food was a bit grim to be honest, it was mostly cold food and not of good quality. We asked for the bill and it was 660 dirham (£58) for 3 of us. We really hadn’t had much food as it wasn’t good and I was very unhappy about paying this amount. We didn’t eat there again and also overheard others saying the same thing.
Breakfast was included in our booking but again it is the same sort of fare really. Lots of very dry pastries lacking in sugar they look appealing but don’t taste that good. There is natural yoghurt and orange segments which is probably the tastiest thing. There is one cereal of chocolate crispy things but my children said they weren’t good. There is also cheese & what looks like processed pork luncheon meat. The will cook you an omelette at the buffet table. However, this is done on what can only be described as pan warmers (the size of a small camping stove) and it takes ages because there is very little heat. The queue of people waiting extends across where the coffee & water are dispensed so it cause a real people traffic problem. You can choose what goes in the omelette, 1 egg or 2, onions, cheese, peppers etc but the omelette chef cooks 2 at a time and completely confuses what he is putting in which omelette. I didn’t get what I had asked for and it just took far too long and again wasn’t that nice really & completely lacking in seasoning. They will also cook traditional Moroccan pancake type thing. I had one the first day to try it but didn’t like it. A bit like eating a fried chapatti for breakfast. There is fresh orange juice, tea & coffee & cold water and also toast & jam. The hotel has a spa and fitness room. Both of these were good. We had a 30 min back massage for 150 dirham (£12) which was very nice. Not aggressive enough for me and my son to remove knots but perfectly pleasant & relaxing. The fitness room is good with plenty of machines, rowing , benches, running etc. This is free.
The outlook from the hotel rooms overlooks a building site in operation. The noise from it is not really noticeable as the adjacent main road is pretty noisy anyway. The pool is good and surrounding area very pleasant. They don’t appear to have enough padded covers for the sun loungers and these get moved around as people vacate them. Clean towels are provided regularly by a pool attendant. The pool has to be vacated by 7pm and you can’t go in before 10am.
Dining out is a mixed bag. Unfortunately we took the advice of an article in the Easyjet In Flight magazine promoting an authentic Moroccan café. We tried it and that night both myself and my son were violently ill. Me with diarrhoea & my son with vomiting & diarrhea. We had to call an emergency doctor to the hotel at 4am as we were on the verge of collapse due to losing all our body fluids. We were taken to a nearby hospital and remained there for 2 days on a glucose/antibiotics drip. £4000 later we managed to get out and felt much better. The café to avoid is L’Escale. The food tasted good at the time but obviously hygiene standards were somewhat lacking. I would advise taking Dioralyte sachets & plenty of Imodium tablets in case of sickness & diarrhoea which I think is quite common here. These are both available in the nearby chemist and reasonably priced.
We ate in the square one evening under the tarpaulin covered eateries. The food was good and reasonably priced. Fresh orange juice in the square is a must. It costs 4 dirham (£0.30p) and is delicious. There are many stalls selling this all competing for your patronage.
Generally I found Marrakesh fairly shabby & dirty and run down. Litter everywhere, building rubble on the pavement areas, pavements broken and dangerous to walk on. Many areas where the horses are such as the square stink of stale urine which is really unpleasant, particularly in hot July sun with temperatures of 40 degrees. You also have to avoid walking in it when around the horse and carriages. You have to keep your wits about you on the roads as the driving standards are ludicrous. There doesn't appear to be any road rules here and cars just weave about with scooters and bikes and seem to go when and wherever they want. Driving is very aggressive and a taxi ride is certainly an experience.
There is not enough to see in Marrakesh apart from the Djeema el Fna and the souks (which are fascinating & amazing) to make me want to return and the hospitalization has soured my experience somewhat anyway. Maybe Casablanca next time, who knows>?

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Diwane Hotel? Share your experiences!