“Stayed for 6 nights in July 2013” 4 of 5 stars

Diwane Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   24 rue Yougoslavie | Guéliz, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #247 of 460 hotels in Marrakech
Amsterdam
“Stayed for 6 nights in July 2013”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Just returned from visit to Marrakech and chose the Diwane Hotel. Recent reviews were mixed but we found it to be perfect for what we wanted. Food was "ok", i'd suggest the evening meal rather than lunch as better quality. Room was cleaned thoroughly each day with fresh towels. Our rooms were first floor overlooking courtyard and pool area - no terrace but not a big deal. Reception staff excellent, restaurant staff could have smiled a little more. Pool guy is very attentive and provides towels etc on demand. We did leave our sun lotion one day and was told they didn't have it - lo and behold, it was being sold in the gift shop next day. we challenged the guy and he did return it to us, saying he was trying to help the pool guy with cash for his baby!!!
They are very strict about bringing drinks and food into the hotel, beware! City Tour Bus stops right outside the hotel for both tours.

Room Tip: Only had our rooms to go by, cant fault them - 118/120
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

494 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Great location, about a half hour walk into the main square which was an easy walk but quite hard in the midday sun. Right next to lots of restaurants and shops. However, we failed to find any bars or places to go after dinner but I don't think it is the right city for bars anyway! The hotel was absolutely spotless and constantly being cleaned. The staff were delightful, particularly the lovely girl on reception who spoke perfect English, however, many staff didn't, but that wasn't a problem. The pool area and rooms were also lovely... don't really have anything bad to stay. Great value for money and perfect place for a relaxing spot out of the hustle and bustle of the city. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony, our was room 307 and was perfect!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

The Diwane hotel was about a 30 minute walk Djeema el Fna (market), if you’re walking I would recommend early morning or when it starts to cool around 6pm other times or if not its only a 5 min taxi ride- we paid about 20-30 diarhrams for a petit taxi, if the taxi drivers says more just laugh, say no and go ask the next taxi driver!
If it a lovely 5-10 minute stroll to the Jardin Majorelle, literally walk out of the hotel to the main intersection, turn left and just keep walking straight for 5 minutes and you will see the signs for the Gardens are on your left hand side.
Hotel its self was a standard hotel, I would probably say it wouldn’t be 4 stars in UK hotel standards but it was a comfortable and very affordable, good location hotel. For July, the air conditioning was a god send and a lovely pool and surprisingly plenty on sun loungers! (Good Hint is to get a lounger on the grass area- you get sun all day long!)
My sister and I had a Hamman Massage at the hotel, was lovely and we tipped well- was not sure what to expect but the women was friendly just was apity there was only her so I had to wait about 30 minutes till my sisters was over but I just stayed in the steam room and relaxed.
The food was amazing, very Moroccan. The Cold salads where the best and always a variety of meats and cous cous at dinner, all the staff where friendly and did not mind if you decided to save some money and not drink in.
We found a supermarket about 5 minute walk away and sneaked in bottles of water as they were 22d in the hotel but 3d at the supermarket, just make sure you sneak it in as the security told me off one day (in a nice way then hid his eyes and said he’ll pretend he didn’t see me)
Lovely hotel, Half board was perfect to be able to explore Marrkech and sample Moroccan food elsewhere, and for the price… Bargain!

Room Tip: Ask for a Pool side view with a balcony, you get wifi from the 3rd floor down.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

The Diwani is a 4 star hotel situated outside the medina walls in the new town. It is about a 30 minute walk or a 5 min taxi ride to the Djeema el Fna (market) It is quite hard walking in July heat and I would recommend getting a taxi (of which there are 2 types – Petit taxis & Grande taxis) The petit taxi’s are metered but the grande taxis are not. We were advised by Diwane hotel reception staff that a petit taxi should cost no more than 25 dirham (£2.20) It actually cost about 8 dirham (£0.60p). However, unfortunately one day we got in a grande taxi by mistake and didn’t notice until we had set off. The driver charged 50 dirham (£4.60). I complained it was too expensive and he pointed to a tariff on his window showing a minimum price of 50 dirham. Needless to say he didn’t get a tip but it is customary to tip taxi’s 10-20%.
The Diwane Hotel itself is quite nice, it has an impressive atrium reception area and the staff are very helpful and mostly speak good English. The restaurant however, I would avoid like the plague. Our first night we arrived at the hotel at 7pm and decided to eat in the hotel restaurant for ease. Alarm bells should have rung when we entered as there were only a few people eating there. It is a buffet and there were no prices displayed anywhere. The food was a bit grim to be honest, it was mostly cold food and not of good quality. We asked for the bill and it was 660 dirham (£58) for 3 of us. We really hadn’t had much food as it wasn’t good and I was very unhappy about paying this amount. We didn’t eat there again and also overheard others saying the same thing.
Breakfast was included in our booking but again it is the same sort of fare really. Lots of very dry pastries lacking in sugar they look appealing but don’t taste that good. There is natural yoghurt and orange segments which is probably the tastiest thing. There is one cereal of chocolate crispy things but my children said they weren’t good. There is also cheese & what looks like processed pork luncheon meat. The will cook you an omelette at the buffet table. However, this is done on what can only be described as pan warmers (the size of a small camping stove) and it takes ages because there is very little heat. The queue of people waiting extends across where the coffee & water are dispensed so it cause a real people traffic problem. You can choose what goes in the omelette, 1 egg or 2, onions, cheese, peppers etc but the omelette chef cooks 2 at a time and completely confuses what he is putting in which omelette. I didn’t get what I had asked for and it just took far too long and again wasn’t that nice really & completely lacking in seasoning. They will also cook traditional Moroccan pancake type thing. I had one the first day to try it but didn’t like it. A bit like eating a fried chapatti for breakfast. There is fresh orange juice, tea & coffee & cold water and also toast & jam. The hotel has a spa and fitness room. Both of these were good. We had a 30 min back massage for 150 dirham (£12) which was very nice. Not aggressive enough for me and my son to remove knots but perfectly pleasant & relaxing. The fitness room is good with plenty of machines, rowing , benches, running etc. This is free.
The outlook from the hotel rooms overlooks a building site in operation. The noise from it is not really noticeable as the adjacent main road is pretty noisy anyway. The pool is good and surrounding area very pleasant. They don’t appear to have enough padded covers for the sun loungers and these get moved around as people vacate them. Clean towels are provided regularly by a pool attendant. The pool has to be vacated by 7pm and you can’t go in before 10am.
Dining out is a mixed bag. Unfortunately we took the advice of an article in the Easyjet In Flight magazine promoting an authentic Moroccan café. We tried it and that night both myself and my son were violently ill. Me with diarrhoea & my son with vomiting & diarrhea. We had to call an emergency doctor to the hotel at 4am as we were on the verge of collapse due to losing all our body fluids. We were taken to a nearby hospital and remained there for 2 days on a glucose/antibiotics drip. £4000 later we managed to get out and felt much better. The café to avoid is L’Escale. The food tasted good at the time but obviously hygiene standards were somewhat lacking. I would advise taking Dioralyte sachets & plenty of Imodium tablets in case of sickness & diarrhoea which I think is quite common here. These are both available in the nearby chemist and reasonably priced.
We ate in the square one evening under the tarpaulin covered eateries. The food was good and reasonably priced. Fresh orange juice in the square is a must. It costs 4 dirham (£0.30p) and is delicious. There are many stalls selling this all competing for your patronage.
Generally I found Marrakesh fairly shabby & dirty and run down. Litter everywhere, building rubble on the pavement areas, pavements broken and dangerous to walk on. Many areas where the horses are such as the square stink of stale urine which is really unpleasant, particularly in hot July sun with temperatures of 40 degrees. You also have to avoid walking in it when around the horse and carriages. You have to keep your wits about you on the roads as the driving standards are ludicrous. There doesn't appear to be any road rules here and cars just weave about with scooters and bikes and seem to go when and wherever they want. Driving is very aggressive and a taxi ride is certainly an experience.
There is not enough to see in Marrakesh apart from the Djeema el Fna and the souks (which are fascinating & amazing) to make me want to return and the hospitalization has soured my experience somewhat anyway. Maybe Casablanca next time, who knows>?

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Andover, Hampshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Well located for bus trips. Walk to the main square and souq took us 25mins. Ethnic- style yet clean and modern hotel. Very helpful, attentive staff. My room was on the top (5th) floor - large, with a lovely clean bathroom, and balcony overlooking the pool. Fast lift! The rest of my family had to ask for balcony rooms. Rooms cleaned every day. Buffet dinners consisted of exotic vatieties of salads, mains and desserts, different every evening. Lots of fresh fruit and freshly squeezed orange juice. Get down early (8'ish) for cooked breakfast otherwise there's a queue. Convenient and well-equiped spar in the basement. Don't forget to bargain for everything, including the tours and spar! It pays off. Overall, a delightful experience and really good value.

Room Tip: Ask for balcony room if you want one.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed in Morocco before but stayed in an all inclusive resort which had everything in it and didnt really need to go out for anything and it was in middle of nowhere.

We decided to go this year but no luck getting the same holiday. After reading reviews and few research we decided to pick Diwane Hotel instead of another hotel which had quite a lot of bad reviews as soon as we were about to book it.

If you want to experience Morocco then I would recommend Diwane Hotel as its in centre of Marakesh and most things that you would probably want to go are just walking distance apart from the Market and obviously the mountains, etc..

The area is really westenised with all the bars - you need to go to sky bar, its absolutely amazing. You can see whole Marakesh. 2 Mcdonalds, KFC and Pizza Hut are just 5-10 min away from the hotel if you not a fan of Moroccan food but why wouldn't you be, as its amazing. Shops are just nearby including supermarkets and little shops for drinks and other confectionery - good luck buying chocolate though they will melt straight away as its very hot as soon you walk outside (no complain with the weather.)

The hotel itself is not bad at all. Managed to get wifi in our room on top floor - depends on phone you got but my girlfriend managed to get it if she sits by the door. Also, depends where abouts your room is in the hotel. The staff are absolutely amazing, one particular young waiter helped us a lot when my girlfriend wasn't feeling very well, he brings her food upstairs and he even runs off before I even have time to give him tip.

The food is amazing and always got choices depends of what you feel like eating but they got fascination about potatoes for some reason but other than that food is great and you just cant stop eating the deserts - they just yummy!

If you want to sunbath, theres always a bed free but the problem is most of the sunbeds area can only get sun different time of the day or limited time because of the hotel walls but either way you will still get sun - just move around or get a bed early. They even give you towels and if feeling hot just ask for an umbrella and the guy that works by the pool will be happy to help you.

Overall, we had a great time and enjoyed our stay in Diwane Hotel and thought it's perfect location if you want to wonder around.

• Stayed June 2013
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My room facing the swimming pool was without a balcony but there was construction work going on that caused alot of noise & i could also see from my room, plot of land with rubbish dumped on it which was not a nice view to see from my bedroom window i.e tips given by other reviews were wrong to suggest getting a room facing swimming pool.The breakfast was not good, the omlette was tasteless & very oily(Chef cooking omlettes was putting his fingers in his nose etc etc & was not washing his hands-omlette was not cooked in hygenic way, Chef kept touching the omlette & other things with his fingers) The bread,french breads, pastries etc etc were hard as a rock(many days old) and orange was not real orange juice but tasted disgusting(it was water that had a slight orange flavour)-I had stomach upset and felt sick for rest of my stay in marrakesh due to eating their breakfast(I am sure as i had not eat anything the night before as i arrived from UK that night & everything was fine with my stomach until i had their breakfast). Their receptionist and all other staff were very rude & aggressive. The person who helps with luggage pushed me aggressively when i refused to give him a tip when i was checking out of the hotel(I did not need his help with my luggage as i only had 1 light weight hand luggage)-I complained to the manager but he did nothing about it. I would never stay in this hotel again as my holiday/vacation was ruined due to this hotel. I stayed in last week of June 2013

Room Tip: I avoid this hotel as there are so many hotels and so much choice- Do not ruin your holiday/vacation...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to Diwane Hotel? Share your experiences!