“Lovely Hotel!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #248 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

The Diwane hotel was about a 30 minute walk Djeema el Fna (market), if you’re walking I would recommend early morning or when it starts to cool around 6pm other times or if not its only a 5 min taxi ride- we paid about 20-30 diarhrams for a petit taxi, if the taxi drivers says more just laugh, say no and go ask the next taxi driver!
If it a lovely 5-10 minute stroll to the Jardin Majorelle, literally walk out of the hotel to the main intersection, turn left and just keep walking straight for 5 minutes and you will see the signs for the Gardens are on your left hand side.
Hotel its self was a standard hotel, I would probably say it wouldn’t be 4 stars in UK hotel standards but it was a comfortable and very affordable, good location hotel. For July, the air conditioning was a god send and a lovely pool and surprisingly plenty on sun loungers! (Good Hint is to get a lounger on the grass area- you get sun all day long!)
My sister and I had a Hamman Massage at the hotel, was lovely and we tipped well- was not sure what to expect but the women was friendly just was apity there was only her so I had to wait about 30 minutes till my sisters was over but I just stayed in the steam room and relaxed.
The food was amazing, very Moroccan. The Cold salads where the best and always a variety of meats and cous cous at dinner, all the staff where friendly and did not mind if you decided to save some money and not drink in.
We found a supermarket about 5 minute walk away and sneaked in bottles of water as they were 22d in the hotel but 3d at the supermarket, just make sure you sneak it in as the security told me off one day (in a nice way then hid his eyes and said he’ll pretend he didn’t see me)
Lovely hotel, Half board was perfect to be able to explore Marrkech and sample Moroccan food elsewhere, and for the price… Bargain!

Room Tip: Ask for a Pool side view with a balcony, you get wifi from the 3rd floor down.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

553 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

The Diwani is a 4 star hotel situated outside the medina walls in the new town. It is about a 30 minute walk or a 5 min taxi ride to the Djeema el Fna (market) It is quite hard walking in July heat and I would recommend getting a taxi (of which there are 2 types – Petit taxis & Grande taxis) The petit taxi’s are metered but the grande taxis are not. We were advised by Diwane hotel reception staff that a petit taxi should cost no more than 25 dirham (£2.20) It actually cost about 8 dirham (£0.60p). However, unfortunately one day we got in a grande taxi by mistake and didn’t notice until we had set off. The driver charged 50 dirham (£4.60). I complained it was too expensive and he pointed to a tariff on his window showing a minimum price of 50 dirham. Needless to say he didn’t get a tip but it is customary to tip taxi’s 10-20%.
The Diwane Hotel itself is quite nice, it has an impressive atrium reception area and the staff are very helpful and mostly speak good English. The restaurant however, I would avoid like the plague. Our first night we arrived at the hotel at 7pm and decided to eat in the hotel restaurant for ease. Alarm bells should have rung when we entered as there were only a few people eating there. It is a buffet and there were no prices displayed anywhere. The food was a bit grim to be honest, it was mostly cold food and not of good quality. We asked for the bill and it was 660 dirham (£58) for 3 of us. We really hadn’t had much food as it wasn’t good and I was very unhappy about paying this amount. We didn’t eat there again and also overheard others saying the same thing.
Breakfast was included in our booking but again it is the same sort of fare really. Lots of very dry pastries lacking in sugar they look appealing but don’t taste that good. There is natural yoghurt and orange segments which is probably the tastiest thing. There is one cereal of chocolate crispy things but my children said they weren’t good. There is also cheese & what looks like processed pork luncheon meat. The will cook you an omelette at the buffet table. However, this is done on what can only be described as pan warmers (the size of a small camping stove) and it takes ages because there is very little heat. The queue of people waiting extends across where the coffee & water are dispensed so it cause a real people traffic problem. You can choose what goes in the omelette, 1 egg or 2, onions, cheese, peppers etc but the omelette chef cooks 2 at a time and completely confuses what he is putting in which omelette. I didn’t get what I had asked for and it just took far too long and again wasn’t that nice really & completely lacking in seasoning. They will also cook traditional Moroccan pancake type thing. I had one the first day to try it but didn’t like it. A bit like eating a fried chapatti for breakfast. There is fresh orange juice, tea & coffee & cold water and also toast & jam. The hotel has a spa and fitness room. Both of these were good. We had a 30 min back massage for 150 dirham (£12) which was very nice. Not aggressive enough for me and my son to remove knots but perfectly pleasant & relaxing. The fitness room is good with plenty of machines, rowing , benches, running etc. This is free.
The outlook from the hotel rooms overlooks a building site in operation. The noise from it is not really noticeable as the adjacent main road is pretty noisy anyway. The pool is good and surrounding area very pleasant. They don’t appear to have enough padded covers for the sun loungers and these get moved around as people vacate them. Clean towels are provided regularly by a pool attendant. The pool has to be vacated by 7pm and you can’t go in before 10am.
Dining out is a mixed bag. Unfortunately we took the advice of an article in the Easyjet In Flight magazine promoting an authentic Moroccan café. We tried it and that night both myself and my son were violently ill. Me with diarrhoea & my son with vomiting & diarrhea. We had to call an emergency doctor to the hotel at 4am as we were on the verge of collapse due to losing all our body fluids. We were taken to a nearby hospital and remained there for 2 days on a glucose/antibiotics drip. £4000 later we managed to get out and felt much better. The café to avoid is L’Escale. The food tasted good at the time but obviously hygiene standards were somewhat lacking. I would advise taking Dioralyte sachets & plenty of Imodium tablets in case of sickness & diarrhoea which I think is quite common here. These are both available in the nearby chemist and reasonably priced.
We ate in the square one evening under the tarpaulin covered eateries. The food was good and reasonably priced. Fresh orange juice in the square is a must. It costs 4 dirham (£0.30p) and is delicious. There are many stalls selling this all competing for your patronage.
Generally I found Marrakesh fairly shabby & dirty and run down. Litter everywhere, building rubble on the pavement areas, pavements broken and dangerous to walk on. Many areas where the horses are such as the square stink of stale urine which is really unpleasant, particularly in hot July sun with temperatures of 40 degrees. You also have to avoid walking in it when around the horse and carriages. You have to keep your wits about you on the roads as the driving standards are ludicrous. There doesn't appear to be any road rules here and cars just weave about with scooters and bikes and seem to go when and wherever they want. Driving is very aggressive and a taxi ride is certainly an experience.
There is not enough to see in Marrakesh apart from the Djeema el Fna and the souks (which are fascinating & amazing) to make me want to return and the hospitalization has soured my experience somewhat anyway. Maybe Casablanca next time, who knows>?

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Andover, Hampshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Well located for bus trips. Walk to the main square and souq took us 25mins. Ethnic- style yet clean and modern hotel. Very helpful, attentive staff. My room was on the top (5th) floor - large, with a lovely clean bathroom, and balcony overlooking the pool. Fast lift! The rest of my family had to ask for balcony rooms. Rooms cleaned every day. Buffet dinners consisted of exotic vatieties of salads, mains and desserts, different every evening. Lots of fresh fruit and freshly squeezed orange juice. Get down early (8'ish) for cooked breakfast otherwise there's a queue. Convenient and well-equiped spar in the basement. Don't forget to bargain for everything, including the tours and spar! It pays off. Overall, a delightful experience and really good value.

Room Tip: Ask for balcony room if you want one.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed in Morocco before but stayed in an all inclusive resort which had everything in it and didnt really need to go out for anything and it was in middle of nowhere.

We decided to go this year but no luck getting the same holiday. After reading reviews and few research we decided to pick Diwane Hotel instead of another hotel which had quite a lot of bad reviews as soon as we were about to book it.

If you want to experience Morocco then I would recommend Diwane Hotel as its in centre of Marakesh and most things that you would probably want to go are just walking distance apart from the Market and obviously the mountains, etc..

The area is really westenised with all the bars - you need to go to sky bar, its absolutely amazing. You can see whole Marakesh. 2 Mcdonalds, KFC and Pizza Hut are just 5-10 min away from the hotel if you not a fan of Moroccan food but why wouldn't you be, as its amazing. Shops are just nearby including supermarkets and little shops for drinks and other confectionery - good luck buying chocolate though they will melt straight away as its very hot as soon you walk outside (no complain with the weather.)

The hotel itself is not bad at all. Managed to get wifi in our room on top floor - depends on phone you got but my girlfriend managed to get it if she sits by the door. Also, depends where abouts your room is in the hotel. The staff are absolutely amazing, one particular young waiter helped us a lot when my girlfriend wasn't feeling very well, he brings her food upstairs and he even runs off before I even have time to give him tip.

The food is amazing and always got choices depends of what you feel like eating but they got fascination about potatoes for some reason but other than that food is great and you just cant stop eating the deserts - they just yummy!

If you want to sunbath, theres always a bed free but the problem is most of the sunbeds area can only get sun different time of the day or limited time because of the hotel walls but either way you will still get sun - just move around or get a bed early. They even give you towels and if feeling hot just ask for an umbrella and the guy that works by the pool will be happy to help you.

Overall, we had a great time and enjoyed our stay in Diwane Hotel and thought it's perfect location if you want to wonder around.

• Stayed June 2013
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My room facing the swimming pool was without a balcony but there was construction work going on that caused alot of noise & i could also see from my room, plot of land with rubbish dumped on it which was not a nice view to see from my bedroom window i.e tips given by other reviews were wrong to suggest getting a room facing swimming pool.The breakfast was not good, the omlette was tasteless & very oily(Chef cooking omlettes was putting his fingers in his nose etc etc & was not washing his hands-omlette was not cooked in hygenic way, Chef kept touching the omlette & other things with his fingers) The bread,french breads, pastries etc etc were hard as a rock(many days old) and orange was not real orange juice but tasted disgusting(it was water that had a slight orange flavour)-I had stomach upset and felt sick for rest of my stay in marrakesh due to eating their breakfast(I am sure as i had not eat anything the night before as i arrived from UK that night & everything was fine with my stomach until i had their breakfast). Their receptionist and all other staff were very rude & aggressive. The person who helps with luggage pushed me aggressively when i refused to give him a tip when i was checking out of the hotel(I did not need his help with my luggage as i only had 1 light weight hand luggage)-I complained to the manager but he did nothing about it. I would never stay in this hotel again as my holiday/vacation was ruined due to this hotel. I stayed in last week of June 2013

Room Tip: I avoid this hotel as there are so many hotels and so much choice- Do not ruin your holiday/vacation...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed here a week ago when we arrived we were shown to our room which was overlooking a dump across the road with no actual sit down balcony didn't like it one bit, the bathroom wasn't very clean either. We asked for our room to be changed which was luckily done immediately, the new room was a lot nicer overlooking the pool with a nice balcony.

The decor is a bit dated and tired however the Moroccan tiles are very nice. The food was ok not great the best meal was breakfast with the pancakes and omelettes. The food was cold/lukewarm on some nights, Morocco in general seems quite keen on potatoes that's all you get with your meals although their Tagine is very nice there's only so much of that you can eat. The rice at the hotel at dinner is in the cold section with the salads not really sure who eats cold rice.

We were half board and drinks were only included at Breakfast if you had any other meal you had to purchase the drinks which to me is a rip off!.

The customer service was good we had no problems with a language barrier as all of the reception staff spoke good English, we booked our trips at reception and one of the staff members gave us a map and pin pointed points of interest which was very helpful. We went on the Orika Valley trip be aware that this does not include lunch and if you want to see the waterfall you have to pay a guide (20 Dirhams depending on the size of your group) to take you up there.

The location of the hotel is very convenient the number 1 bus goes to the Medina for 4 Dirhams it's 10 mins away, we got a taxi back from the Medina as we were unsure about which bus stop to use to return to the hotel.

I thought that the Hamman and 45 min massage that we got was a rip off. We booked our treatments for a certain time one day in advance, when we got there the next day at the time that we booked we were told that it was 1 hour ago we looked in the appointment book and someone had moved our time slot without telling us. The guy looked flustered at first and then said it was ok and gave us a very rushed 15 minute Hamman this was meant to be 30 mins. The massage was merely rubbing your body as opposed to a proper massage again this was not 45 mins our total time for this was meant to be 1hr 15 mins we went at 4pm and left at 5pm that is far from 1hr 15 mins people should get what they have paid for. I was very disappointed about this as I was looking forward to it and it was a let down even though it was relaxing.

I'd definitely recommend visiting Marrakech however, beware of the points above if you wish to stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a sit down balcony/pool view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bishops Stortford, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

What a lovely hotel. Perfect base for experiencing Marrakech. The tourist bus stops right outside and was great fun, as well as informative. The rooms were spotless, with fresh towels every day and the staff generally very helpful.

On our first day we fell a little foul of the trickery used to get you to visit a friends shop. One of the concierges from the hotel spotted us on the way to the souk and told us it was closed then was very determined to get us to go to particular places. We initially thought he was being helpful but soon realised the direction he was sending us in wasn't right and when he kept appearing on his scooter and shouting us directions realised it was a ploy. We politely continued back to the right road, but he wasn't impressed.

The hotel has a cash machine in the foyer, which caused much amusement when we discovered on our last day that the reason we hadn't been able to use it was that the english options were displayed on the wrong sides of the screen. There is an exchange at reception, so it wasn't really a problem.

On arrival we opted not to queue in the airport to exchange currency and this caused a few problems with tipping, paying the local taxes and getting a safety deposit box, but the receptionist was very helpful.

The pool is great, if a bit cold after an hour or two of sunbathing, and pool towels are provided by the obliging pool boy. As with many european resorts, competition for loungers in a prime position is stiff, with many paying the pool boy in advance to place towels and sun cream on beds before breakfast then appearing mid morning or early afternoon to take their positions.

We usually went exploring in the mornings then just took whichever were free when we came back in the afternoon, hence returning not much more tanned than when we left.

The spa was nice and not as expensive as we'd expected. The massage was definately invigorating. The hotel does have special offers advertised at the desk.

We were half board and had no complaints whatsoever with the food. The choices at breakfast were quite good, loads of pastries, breads, toast etc, as well as cooked to order omelettes and pancakes. You have to try the pancakes, delicious, as was the freshly squeezed orange juice.

You can choose to have either lunch or dinner. Dinner was nice, always a meat, poultry, vegetable and fish option. I like couscous so was quite happy, although my sister craved potatoes. The dessert pastries were fantastic. Lunch is served from a small menu and was even better than dinner.

The only down side was the length of time you had to wait if ordering lunch, dinner or drinks outside of the half board allocation. This may have simply been that I wasn't a good tipper, I never quite got to the bottom of how others ensured faster service, or whether 10% wasn't enough in Morrocco. Although convenient, in hindsight, and now knowing a bit more about the city, I would simply go to one of the cleaner looking cafes in the surrounding streets.

Marrakech itself is quite hectic, but you get used to it after a few days and it's far less intimidating. Be prepared for the attentions of shopkeepers, hawkers and taxi touts, we found that poilite but firm usually worked. The souks are an assault on the senses and really vibrant, expect to get lost and that you will emerge eventually. Taxis from the hotel to the souks were only around 30 dirham, less than £3 and well worth it when laden down and so hot. If you get a chance, take a pitstop in one of the few roof terrace cafes above the crowds.

The night market is spectacular and we enjoyed watching the bedlam from a front row seat in one of the main cafes.

We will be returning to Marrakech and Hotel Diwane.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Diwane Hotel? Share your experiences!