“A wonderful find.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #269 of 467 Hotels in Marrakech
Andover, Hampshire, United Kingdom
“A wonderful find.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Well located for bus trips. Walk to the main square and souq took us 25mins. Ethnic- style yet clean and modern hotel. Very helpful, attentive staff. My room was on the top (5th) floor - large, with a lovely clean bathroom, and balcony overlooking the pool. Fast lift! The rest of my family had to ask for balcony rooms. Rooms cleaned every day. Buffet dinners consisted of exotic vatieties of salads, mains and desserts, different every evening. Lots of fresh fruit and freshly squeezed orange juice. Get down early (8'ish) for cooked breakfast otherwise there's a queue. Convenient and well-equiped spar in the basement. Don't forget to bargain for everything, including the tours and spar! It pays off. Overall, a delightful experience and really good value.

Room Tip: Ask for balcony room if you want one.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed in Morocco before but stayed in an all inclusive resort which had everything in it and didnt really need to go out for anything and it was in middle of nowhere.

We decided to go this year but no luck getting the same holiday. After reading reviews and few research we decided to pick Diwane Hotel instead of another hotel which had quite a lot of bad reviews as soon as we were about to book it.

If you want to experience Morocco then I would recommend Diwane Hotel as its in centre of Marakesh and most things that you would probably want to go are just walking distance apart from the Market and obviously the mountains, etc..

The area is really westenised with all the bars - you need to go to sky bar, its absolutely amazing. You can see whole Marakesh. 2 Mcdonalds, KFC and Pizza Hut are just 5-10 min away from the hotel if you not a fan of Moroccan food but why wouldn't you be, as its amazing. Shops are just nearby including supermarkets and little shops for drinks and other confectionery - good luck buying chocolate though they will melt straight away as its very hot as soon you walk outside (no complain with the weather.)

The hotel itself is not bad at all. Managed to get wifi in our room on top floor - depends on phone you got but my girlfriend managed to get it if she sits by the door. Also, depends where abouts your room is in the hotel. The staff are absolutely amazing, one particular young waiter helped us a lot when my girlfriend wasn't feeling very well, he brings her food upstairs and he even runs off before I even have time to give him tip.

The food is amazing and always got choices depends of what you feel like eating but they got fascination about potatoes for some reason but other than that food is great and you just cant stop eating the deserts - they just yummy!

If you want to sunbath, theres always a bed free but the problem is most of the sunbeds area can only get sun different time of the day or limited time because of the hotel walls but either way you will still get sun - just move around or get a bed early. They even give you towels and if feeling hot just ask for an umbrella and the guy that works by the pool will be happy to help you.

Overall, we had a great time and enjoyed our stay in Diwane Hotel and thought it's perfect location if you want to wonder around.

• Stayed June 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My room facing the swimming pool was without a balcony but there was construction work going on that caused alot of noise & i could also see from my room, plot of land with rubbish dumped on it which was not a nice view to see from my bedroom window i.e tips given by other reviews were wrong to suggest getting a room facing swimming pool.The breakfast was not good, the omlette was tasteless & very oily(Chef cooking omlettes was putting his fingers in his nose etc etc & was not washing his hands-omlette was not cooked in hygenic way, Chef kept touching the omlette & other things with his fingers) The bread,french breads, pastries etc etc were hard as a rock(many days old) and orange was not real orange juice but tasted disgusting(it was water that had a slight orange flavour)-I had stomach upset and felt sick for rest of my stay in marrakesh due to eating their breakfast(I am sure as i had not eat anything the night before as i arrived from UK that night & everything was fine with my stomach until i had their breakfast). Their receptionist and all other staff were very rude & aggressive. The person who helps with luggage pushed me aggressively when i refused to give him a tip when i was checking out of the hotel(I did not need his help with my luggage as i only had 1 light weight hand luggage)-I complained to the manager but he did nothing about it. I would never stay in this hotel again as my holiday/vacation was ruined due to this hotel. I stayed in last week of June 2013

Room Tip: I avoid this hotel as there are so many hotels and so much choice- Do not ruin your holiday/vacation...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed here a week ago when we arrived we were shown to our room which was overlooking a dump across the road with no actual sit down balcony didn't like it one bit, the bathroom wasn't very clean either. We asked for our room to be changed which was luckily done immediately, the new room was a lot nicer overlooking the pool with a nice balcony.

The decor is a bit dated and tired however the Moroccan tiles are very nice. The food was ok not great the best meal was breakfast with the pancakes and omelettes. The food was cold/lukewarm on some nights, Morocco in general seems quite keen on potatoes that's all you get with your meals although their Tagine is very nice there's only so much of that you can eat. The rice at the hotel at dinner is in the cold section with the salads not really sure who eats cold rice.

We were half board and drinks were only included at Breakfast if you had any other meal you had to purchase the drinks which to me is a rip off!.

The customer service was good we had no problems with a language barrier as all of the reception staff spoke good English, we booked our trips at reception and one of the staff members gave us a map and pin pointed points of interest which was very helpful. We went on the Orika Valley trip be aware that this does not include lunch and if you want to see the waterfall you have to pay a guide (20 Dirhams depending on the size of your group) to take you up there.

The location of the hotel is very convenient the number 1 bus goes to the Medina for 4 Dirhams it's 10 mins away, we got a taxi back from the Medina as we were unsure about which bus stop to use to return to the hotel.

I thought that the Hamman and 45 min massage that we got was a rip off. We booked our treatments for a certain time one day in advance, when we got there the next day at the time that we booked we were told that it was 1 hour ago we looked in the appointment book and someone had moved our time slot without telling us. The guy looked flustered at first and then said it was ok and gave us a very rushed 15 minute Hamman this was meant to be 30 mins. The massage was merely rubbing your body as opposed to a proper massage again this was not 45 mins our total time for this was meant to be 1hr 15 mins we went at 4pm and left at 5pm that is far from 1hr 15 mins people should get what they have paid for. I was very disappointed about this as I was looking forward to it and it was a let down even though it was relaxing.

I'd definitely recommend visiting Marrakech however, beware of the points above if you wish to stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a sit down balcony/pool view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bishops Stortford, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

What a lovely hotel. Perfect base for experiencing Marrakech. The tourist bus stops right outside and was great fun, as well as informative. The rooms were spotless, with fresh towels every day and the staff generally very helpful.

On our first day we fell a little foul of the trickery used to get you to visit a friends shop. One of the concierges from the hotel spotted us on the way to the souk and told us it was closed then was very determined to get us to go to particular places. We initially thought he was being helpful but soon realised the direction he was sending us in wasn't right and when he kept appearing on his scooter and shouting us directions realised it was a ploy. We politely continued back to the right road, but he wasn't impressed.

The hotel has a cash machine in the foyer, which caused much amusement when we discovered on our last day that the reason we hadn't been able to use it was that the english options were displayed on the wrong sides of the screen. There is an exchange at reception, so it wasn't really a problem.

On arrival we opted not to queue in the airport to exchange currency and this caused a few problems with tipping, paying the local taxes and getting a safety deposit box, but the receptionist was very helpful.

The pool is great, if a bit cold after an hour or two of sunbathing, and pool towels are provided by the obliging pool boy. As with many european resorts, competition for loungers in a prime position is stiff, with many paying the pool boy in advance to place towels and sun cream on beds before breakfast then appearing mid morning or early afternoon to take their positions.

We usually went exploring in the mornings then just took whichever were free when we came back in the afternoon, hence returning not much more tanned than when we left.

The spa was nice and not as expensive as we'd expected. The massage was definately invigorating. The hotel does have special offers advertised at the desk.

We were half board and had no complaints whatsoever with the food. The choices at breakfast were quite good, loads of pastries, breads, toast etc, as well as cooked to order omelettes and pancakes. You have to try the pancakes, delicious, as was the freshly squeezed orange juice.

You can choose to have either lunch or dinner. Dinner was nice, always a meat, poultry, vegetable and fish option. I like couscous so was quite happy, although my sister craved potatoes. The dessert pastries were fantastic. Lunch is served from a small menu and was even better than dinner.

The only down side was the length of time you had to wait if ordering lunch, dinner or drinks outside of the half board allocation. This may have simply been that I wasn't a good tipper, I never quite got to the bottom of how others ensured faster service, or whether 10% wasn't enough in Morrocco. Although convenient, in hindsight, and now knowing a bit more about the city, I would simply go to one of the cleaner looking cafes in the surrounding streets.

Marrakech itself is quite hectic, but you get used to it after a few days and it's far less intimidating. Be prepared for the attentions of shopkeepers, hawkers and taxi touts, we found that poilite but firm usually worked. The souks are an assault on the senses and really vibrant, expect to get lost and that you will emerge eventually. Taxis from the hotel to the souks were only around 30 dirham, less than £3 and well worth it when laden down and so hot. If you get a chance, take a pitstop in one of the few roof terrace cafes above the crowds.

The night market is spectacular and we enjoyed watching the bedlam from a front row seat in one of the main cafes.

We will be returning to Marrakech and Hotel Diwane.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

What can I saw about Diwane Hotel? Well first impression was that of disappointment. I thought I should have spent a bit more and gotten something better. The hotel still uses a key for the door. I mean a key that you would use at your home. Then the lock didn't even worked correctly; I wasn't even sure if my door was secured when I left.

The hotel has the feel of an apartment, not a hotel room. It's kind of oldish looking, and there was a grey hair on my bed, which means that they probably didn't even changed the bed sheet from the previous guest. Yuck.

The view from my hotel room was that of an abandoned empty house lot with lots of trash in it. The neighborhood was decent, some high end restaurants close by. It is located in what is an upper class area in Marrakech. Well according to their standards.

There is no iron in the room, but you can borrow one from the reception desk. Speaking of reception, I didn't find them to be incredibly nice. One of the female ones get very frustrated when I asked for the telephone number for an airline. Then she gives me the number of someone's home!!

It seems everyone at the hotel (and everyone in Marrakech) is trying to take your money. They all inflate their prices. The hotel staff are making deals with the tour guides and taxi drivers to split your money. I went to one guy at the reception desk to inquire about a tour to the Atlas Mountains. He immediately go on the phone and told me $700 dirhams. Then I beat down the price to $600. I told him I want an English guide. What he got me was a taxi driver who spoke just a few words of English and didn't even get out of the car to show me anywhere. Then he asked me for money for gas. I only had $200 dirham bills, so I gave him a 200. He gave me back no change. After our "tour" I gave him the remaining $400, to which he replied, "more dirham." 200 + 400 =600, but he didn't want to consider the 200 I gave him for gas. Everyone is just after your money at the hotel and everywhere there. It's sad.

Wifi at the hotel is only in the lobby. What is so difficult to install some routers on the upper floors to get wifi connection? I don't get it.

While in the lobby one day, about 4 guys checked in with lots of luggages. I noticed the luggages stacked on a rolling cart. One of the men who usually rushes to the guests as they're checking in/out to help with their luggage in hopes of a tip, flatly told the guys that they have to take their luggages off the cart and take them up themselves. No customer service etiquette whatsoever. Maybe the guys didn't want to tip as much as he wanted, I don't know.

I would say if you aren't going to be too reliant on the staff for any service then it's an OK hotel to stay at because it's cheaper that the other hotels in the area. But if you're not familiar with the area and going to be at their mercy, then choose another hotel.

Room Tip: I listed to the fairly high ratings the other reviewers gave this hotel and was disappointed. And my...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Staff did not speak English, although I found the same every where in Morocco. It was quite difficult to order food in the restaurant because of the language barrier.

Food was ok. Hotel full of British people, so the catering was accordingly. Would have hoped for more authentic spicier food.

Rooms were clean and pool and location were nice. The pool was not as big as it looks in the photos.

It was very difficult to book ourselves on the trips, because they did not speak English. In the end we didnt know what we had booked (after trying to talk to the staff for 1h). No body on the trip really knew what the program was.

Sauna and spa were very nice, but the spa receptionist was inredibly rude.

Wifi only in hotel reception. Not pool or rooms.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Diwane Hotel? Share your experiences!