“Oasis in the hustle and bustle” 4 of 5 stars

Diwane Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   24 rue Yougoslavie | Guéliz, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #248 of 460 hotels in Marrakech
Bishops Stortford, England, United Kingdom
“Oasis in the hustle and bustle”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

What a lovely hotel. Perfect base for experiencing Marrakech. The tourist bus stops right outside and was great fun, as well as informative. The rooms were spotless, with fresh towels every day and the staff generally very helpful.

On our first day we fell a little foul of the trickery used to get you to visit a friends shop. One of the concierges from the hotel spotted us on the way to the souk and told us it was closed then was very determined to get us to go to particular places. We initially thought he was being helpful but soon realised the direction he was sending us in wasn't right and when he kept appearing on his scooter and shouting us directions realised it was a ploy. We politely continued back to the right road, but he wasn't impressed.

The hotel has a cash machine in the foyer, which caused much amusement when we discovered on our last day that the reason we hadn't been able to use it was that the english options were displayed on the wrong sides of the screen. There is an exchange at reception, so it wasn't really a problem.

On arrival we opted not to queue in the airport to exchange currency and this caused a few problems with tipping, paying the local taxes and getting a safety deposit box, but the receptionist was very helpful.

The pool is great, if a bit cold after an hour or two of sunbathing, and pool towels are provided by the obliging pool boy. As with many european resorts, competition for loungers in a prime position is stiff, with many paying the pool boy in advance to place towels and sun cream on beds before breakfast then appearing mid morning or early afternoon to take their positions.

We usually went exploring in the mornings then just took whichever were free when we came back in the afternoon, hence returning not much more tanned than when we left.

The spa was nice and not as expensive as we'd expected. The massage was definately invigorating. The hotel does have special offers advertised at the desk.

We were half board and had no complaints whatsoever with the food. The choices at breakfast were quite good, loads of pastries, breads, toast etc, as well as cooked to order omelettes and pancakes. You have to try the pancakes, delicious, as was the freshly squeezed orange juice.

You can choose to have either lunch or dinner. Dinner was nice, always a meat, poultry, vegetable and fish option. I like couscous so was quite happy, although my sister craved potatoes. The dessert pastries were fantastic. Lunch is served from a small menu and was even better than dinner.

The only down side was the length of time you had to wait if ordering lunch, dinner or drinks outside of the half board allocation. This may have simply been that I wasn't a good tipper, I never quite got to the bottom of how others ensured faster service, or whether 10% wasn't enough in Morrocco. Although convenient, in hindsight, and now knowing a bit more about the city, I would simply go to one of the cleaner looking cafes in the surrounding streets.

Marrakech itself is quite hectic, but you get used to it after a few days and it's far less intimidating. Be prepared for the attentions of shopkeepers, hawkers and taxi touts, we found that poilite but firm usually worked. The souks are an assault on the senses and really vibrant, expect to get lost and that you will emerge eventually. Taxis from the hotel to the souks were only around 30 dirham, less than £3 and well worth it when laden down and so hot. If you get a chance, take a pitstop in one of the few roof terrace cafes above the crowds.

The night market is spectacular and we enjoyed watching the bedlam from a front row seat in one of the main cafes.

We will be returning to Marrakech and Hotel Diwane.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

499 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

What can I saw about Diwane Hotel? Well first impression was that of disappointment. I thought I should have spent a bit more and gotten something better. The hotel still uses a key for the door. I mean a key that you would use at your home. Then the lock didn't even worked correctly; I wasn't even sure if my door was secured when I left.

The hotel has the feel of an apartment, not a hotel room. It's kind of oldish looking, and there was a grey hair on my bed, which means that they probably didn't even changed the bed sheet from the previous guest. Yuck.

The view from my hotel room was that of an abandoned empty house lot with lots of trash in it. The neighborhood was decent, some high end restaurants close by. It is located in what is an upper class area in Marrakech. Well according to their standards.

There is no iron in the room, but you can borrow one from the reception desk. Speaking of reception, I didn't find them to be incredibly nice. One of the female ones get very frustrated when I asked for the telephone number for an airline. Then she gives me the number of someone's home!!

It seems everyone at the hotel (and everyone in Marrakech) is trying to take your money. They all inflate their prices. The hotel staff are making deals with the tour guides and taxi drivers to split your money. I went to one guy at the reception desk to inquire about a tour to the Atlas Mountains. He immediately go on the phone and told me $700 dirhams. Then I beat down the price to $600. I told him I want an English guide. What he got me was a taxi driver who spoke just a few words of English and didn't even get out of the car to show me anywhere. Then he asked me for money for gas. I only had $200 dirham bills, so I gave him a 200. He gave me back no change. After our "tour" I gave him the remaining $400, to which he replied, "more dirham." 200 + 400 =600, but he didn't want to consider the 200 I gave him for gas. Everyone is just after your money at the hotel and everywhere there. It's sad.

Wifi at the hotel is only in the lobby. What is so difficult to install some routers on the upper floors to get wifi connection? I don't get it.

While in the lobby one day, about 4 guys checked in with lots of luggages. I noticed the luggages stacked on a rolling cart. One of the men who usually rushes to the guests as they're checking in/out to help with their luggage in hopes of a tip, flatly told the guys that they have to take their luggages off the cart and take them up themselves. No customer service etiquette whatsoever. Maybe the guys didn't want to tip as much as he wanted, I don't know.

I would say if you aren't going to be too reliant on the staff for any service then it's an OK hotel to stay at because it's cheaper that the other hotels in the area. But if you're not familiar with the area and going to be at their mercy, then choose another hotel.

Room Tip: I listed to the fairly high ratings the other reviewers gave this hotel and was disappointed. And my...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Staff did not speak English, although I found the same every where in Morocco. It was quite difficult to order food in the restaurant because of the language barrier.

Food was ok. Hotel full of British people, so the catering was accordingly. Would have hoped for more authentic spicier food.

Rooms were clean and pool and location were nice. The pool was not as big as it looks in the photos.

It was very difficult to book ourselves on the trips, because they did not speak English. In the end we didnt know what we had booked (after trying to talk to the staff for 1h). No body on the trip really knew what the program was.

Sauna and spa were very nice, but the spa receptionist was inredibly rude.

Wifi only in hotel reception. Not pool or rooms.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Luton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Its a grand hotel nicely tucked away from the main street of Guliz (i think it was Avenue Mohammed V) the price was pretty decent and what you got in return was worth the money.
The pool, the rooms were clean.

The downside was the receptionist were fussy about taking your own drinks to you own room which i thought was a let down especially when you charge 22 dirhams for a bottle of water when the newagent 30 seconds away charges 5 dirhams.
The wifi only ever worked in the lobby so you see a lot of people their hogging the seats.
My room was given 30 minutes late as the cleaners didnt start till 1300.

10 minutes tops to Medina by taxi or 25minutes walk or take the bus for 4 dirhams, about 3-4 clubs on the road. Two Mcdonalds litrally 5-10minutes walk with out high street retailers near by. Very clean area.

Overall it is a good price if you paid £54.00 a night that is.

Room Tip: Ask for pool side with balcony!
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

1 week break with friends. A little hidden gem about 5 minute taxi ride to the Medina or about 30 minute stroll. Tourist information office within 2 minute walk from the hotel.

All staff whether it be from reception, restaurant or pool were very helpful and friendly and spoke English which is was good as my French is limited.

The rooms were imaculately clean and comfortable, fresh sheets and towels daily. Pool area was great a mini oasis away from the hussle and bussle outside. Clean and fresh towels were given daily. Hotel also has spa, although we didn't use but friends made around by the pool said the hamman was the best they ever had!

Stayed at the hotel on half board basis, breakfast had plenty of fresh bread, pastries, cooked eggs how you like and pancakes. Delightful fresh orange juice. Evening meals always a choice of 2 meat, & 1 fish dish, vegetable cous cous and many variations of salads.

All in all, its a great hotel in a fantastic location, we thoroughly enjoyed our time here and would certainly recomend and return again.

Room Tip: And yes, I would agree that Rooms overlooking the pool are the best!!
Teignmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We have just returned from a short stay at the Diwane. The traditional Moroccan decor in the hotel was lovely and everywhere was very clean.The pool was fine and there were always enough sun beds.The hotel location is good -just off one of the main shopping streets ,and a 10 minute walk from Majorelle gardens.The No.1 bus near the hotel takes you almost to the Djemma for 4 dirhams,or a taxi is about 20 dirhams.
The food was good , -the first hotel I've stayed at for a long time to have real orange juice at breakfast,and not that awful sweetened stuff.If you like chips,you'll be disappointed ,but there is a Mc Donalds ab
out 10 minutes walk away !

Room Tip: ask for pool side room.
Geneva
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Standard clean hotel with non-spacious rooms. Rooms not particularly quiet. Swimming pool side is quite to have a drink, isolated from the noise of the street. It is a little far from the Medina, taxi costs 30 dirham to go there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Diwane Hotel? Share your experiences!