“Affordable luxury and elegance” 5 of 5 stars

Riad Hikaya
252 Rue Sidi Mansour | Kasbah, Medina, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #18 of 465 Hotels in Marrakech
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Affordable luxury and elegance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

As you can see from the photos, Riad Hikaya looks amazing, thanks to John's (the owner) attention to detail. He has spent an incredible amount of time perfecting every part of the Riad and it has really paid off - it all feels very authentically Moroccan and luxurious.

The Riad is in Kasbah, which is about 1 mile from the main square and the Souks. Kasbah is within the city walls and is an ideal place to stay because there's quite a bit to do in the local area and good cafes and restaurants are very nearby.

I think we had the smallest room in the Riad, but it was still plenty big enough. The bed was very comfortable and the separate tumbler shower room was great. There were all of the facilities that you would expect.

So I would definitely recommend to friends and family and if I come back I will stay here again for sure.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We were looking for a short break outside of our usual "eurozone" destinations which we could travel to easily with no fuss and get straight into the serious business of enjoying our adventure.
Way before arriving at Riad Hikaya, our needs were already being met by our hosts John and Jane.
Rooms were selected, transfers arranged and excursions were all organised.

The real surprise of Marrakech is what lies behind the old wooden doors of the hot and dusty streets. This is exactly what lies in store at Riad Hikaya. From inside the historic and brilliantly central position of the Kasbah, you walk through a fairly anonymous door and find yourself in another world of Moroccan luxury. There's a fine line between Disneyfication and something really authentic. Riad Hikaya is without doubt the latter. To try to describe the attention to detail in the stunningly beautiful decor would need more words than I have available here!

Big enough not to be lacking in amenities but small enough to feel exotically intimate, our every need was met by John and his staff. John is always on hand to give advice, tips and directions which especially when you are on a short break are invaluable. Taxis, restaurants and trips, some of which just aren't in the guide books can all be booked.
Amazingly all this comes at a price on a par with the average chain hotel!
Go and see for yourself, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: You really can't go wrong.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I had no idea what to expect and we could not have been more pleasantly greeted. The Riad is perfectly placed for walking to the Soukh but also far enough away to be an Oasis of tranquility. It's amazing how safe and comfortable you can feel from the moment you step through the unassuming front door.
John the owner is very accommodating and his staff are fabulous. John can arrange and help you chose the right restaurant and the right tours for you to get the most out of your stay a truly personal service.
There is always someone on hand to open the door and give you a smile - from breakfast to the turning down of the bed with petals prettily placed the whole experience is superb and makes you feel very privileged.
As to the great pictures on the website, my room by the pool was even better in real life. The Riad has been lovingly restored and is very comfortable. Nothing is too much trouble and certainly makes a nice change from the homogenous hotel chain with their plastic key cards and identical carpeting!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

As we arrived at Riad Hikaya after a long days travelling I immediately felt at ease. It can be overwhelming arriving in a new country and different culture but John and staff did a great job of making us feel welcome.

Never anywhere I have travelled before have I received such a personalised welcome. We were greeted with a traditional mint tea and miniature (and delicious!) pastries. John took the time to tell us both about the riad itself and marrakech. We were given a map and all our needs and questions were addressed  not only then but throughout our stay. It made a world of difference to our trip to be assisted by an English speaking riad owner who knows the city and the language. From taxis, reservations, bookings, recommendations,  even sourcing local items - nothing was too much trouble. I had been emailing John's wife Jane for weeks before arrival and every question I had was answered quickly and fully.

On that note, Jane contacted us prior to our arrival suggesting we could pick and have our dinner there on the first evening.  That was a good choice as we didn't fancy venturing out so soon after travelling. It was also worthwhile arranging the airport transfer in advance through the riad as I would not have fancied my chances trying to get myself a taxi there right off the plane! That was worth the expense - one less worry.

It pains me to say it as I love the riad and my experience there, but we were left a bit disappointed by our dinner (you have to order dinner before 11am as they go out and buy the ingredients fresh). It was our first meal in Marrakech, having read all about the amazing food for months before we arrived. I skipped starter but my partner had the Harira soup which is a traditional dish but it was lacking in flavour (that could just be how it was meant to be - we didn't try this elsewhere). It could have been helped by seasoning but we had no salt or pepper on the table.  We were eating on the (gorgeous) roof terrace but it's a long way up and down for the staff so they aren't always around to ask for what you need. The mains were better - I had the seafood pastilla which was lovely and my partner had the chicken tagine which was also nice, but nothing spectacular...we had better elsewhere throughout our trip. I had been excited for dessert all day. I'm a healthy eater so first night of holiday was a treat. Moroccan celebration mocha cake was my dish of choice. My face fell when it arrived. It was a donut shaped sponge cake (dry), a little drizzle of sauce and a few nuts. Quite honestly I couldn't even taste chocolate never mind coffee. Waste of calories I'm afraid! My partners orange treacle tart was much the same - lacking in size and flavour. The bottle of rosé was lovely and quite reasonably priced (not good value by the glass). Only one beer available and not cheap but this problem is Marrakech wide. All in all, if we had gotten this meal back home and paid what we did, we wouldn't have been impressed.

Breakfast is a different matter. It is included in your room rate. Served on the amazing roof terrace in the sunshine amongst the fruit trees....heaven! A peaceful start to the day. Fresh orange juice, tea or coffee, fruit salad and a generous selection of pastries etc. Omelette if you wish. It was perfect. Generally starts from 8.30 but days when we needed it earlier due to excursions etc it was no issue at all. Leave yourself enough time as everything is very laid back so service can be slow. This isn't a criticism in any way it is just worth keeping in mind! One morning we moved a chair to a different part of the table due to the sun and every day after that it was laid that way which made me smile.

The room was lovely. Air conditioned. Comfy bed. On the first night there was a bowl of fruit, mineral water (which was great having no currency yet and not wanting to brave the streets at night for this!) and fresh flowers. A nice touch would be for these to be replaced daily for all it would cost. Each night there is a turndown service and petals are left on your bed which is sweet. In terms of cleanliness, which is of the upmost importance to me - the place was spotless. Never had a cleaner hotel room.

Noise really travels within the riad which wasn't generally a problem as it's a very quiet place. However, one evening we were trying to have an early night as we going on an excursion the following morning. At around 11.30pm other guests returned and began a very loud chat downstairs in a communal area in the middle of the rooms to the extent that it woke us both up. This was allowed to continue for almost an hour. This is something that with a bit of thought could have been easily managed by staff as there were other more appropriate places for them to chat to avoid the disturbance.

One of the many reasons we picked this riad out of the hundreds available was the pool and hot tub. The pool is small and is located inside the middle of the riad so it is fairly public. Was a bit shy about using it at first but there aren't many rooms/people so it wasn't too bad. As for the rooftub hot tub, it was just too hot to use during the day. Staff did try to put cold water into it for us but it didn't really work. We weren't able to use it at night due to noise. It is away in the corner of the rooftop and is nice and private so perfect if it's cool enough for you to use it!

There is also wifi which is a huge advantage. Can do research, check out reviews and screenshot Google maps. This really was a necessity. There was a problem with the tv and Internet when we arrived but John had it rectified really quickly which surprised me in a country like Morocco.

The riad itself is amazing. The attention to detail is unreal and I have to commend the thought and hard work which has clearly gone into the decor. Incense burns and tea lights line the stairs and pool area. It felt magical when stepping through the door for the first time. It was everything I imagined it would be and so much more. It wasn't one of those places where the pictures online have misrepresented the reality! I loved the shaded seating on the roof and there are nice loungers for you sun worshipers out there!

Location was perfect for us. Close enough to the action (within the city walls and 15 min walk to square) but far enough away for peace and to experience of a real Marrakech neighbourhood.

We had a fabulous time in Marrakech and much of it was down to choosing this hidden gem of a riad. The staff are pleasant and accommodating. City breaks can be manic, and Marrakech certainly is, but Riad Hikaya was a haven providing a serene escape from the world outside. I would not hesitate in recommending Riad Hikaya to anyone I knew travelling to Marrakech and I would certainly return here in a heartbeat. A few very minor changes and it would have been 5 stars from me. The service was second to none and that is what matters most.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Just spent four days at the Riad, and experienced a truly amazing holiday!
John the owner was most helpful and attentive for all our needs, his knowledge of the local area is second to none, he provided a map and even we didn't get lost using it (Which was a surprise) The Riad is superbly decorated and absolutely nothing is to much trouble for the staff, its very traditional attention to detail is simply wonderful. The whole experience was so laid back, and we captured a side of Morocco we never thought possible.

If you are looking for a place to stay this is certainly the best, great location to see the soux, the square,the tombs and the palace, which are all within walking distance.

As an extra special treat you must have a spa treatment in the Riad Hikaya, i had a massage and Hammam treatment, and was one of the best and most relaxing spa treatments I've ever experienced... I recommend this whilst staying at the Riad.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

The Riad is a beautiful building, exquisitely and authentically restored by John (the owner). Each day you see and learn more about the local craftsmanship that has been used. John with his local knowledge, language skills and his lovely staff provide a tranquil haven in the centre of the Kasbah area (very convenient and with direct access for taxis etc). Please read all the other comments from previous guests –I agree 100%. This was our first visit to Morocco and we hope to be back soon. Dinning on the roof terrace at sunset and hearing the call to prayer is a wonderful way to round off the day before retiring to the most comfortable bed you are likely to find.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

We arrived here after six nights much further south in another Fleewinter location so this was very different. Just off the bustling, vibrant, exciting Rue de Kasbah, you step through the door to the most beautiful Riad. John gave us a great welcome before we settled in with a swim and rooftop lunch. It was hard to pluck up the courage to open that door and step back into the hustle and bustle of the city. When we did we visited the souks :- ( and ate at the Kosybar, which was good. A lovely quiet night in a gorgeous bed, delicious breakfast before a day exploring the Atlas mountains - highly recommend. With all of Marrakech to dine in, we chose to eat on the Riad's rooftop, so lovely and peaceful up there. We had the Moroccan salad starter and to be honest it is probably the nicest thing I have ever eaten. My caramelised orange tart pudding was probably the second nicest thing. Truly delicious. Stayed with three children 17, 15 and 10 - we swam lots and nothing was ever a problem. Highly, highly recommend this brilliant Riad.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Been to Riad Hikaya? Share your experiences!