“A wonderful place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad l'Orangeraie

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Riad l'Orangeraie
Save Saved
You added Riad l'Orangeraie to your Saves list
61 rue Sidi Yamani | Medina, Marrakech 44000, Morocco   |
Ranked #6 of 1,054 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Cirencester, United Kingdom
“A wonderful place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a 5 night stay here. It was everything we hoped it would be. A pocket of peace in the midst of the Medina. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff from the arrangement of transfers to and from the airport, to a driver to take us into the mountains (Imlil) one day. Complimentary coffee/tea can be brought to your room in the morning on request, a generous breakfast is served each with freshly baked bread/pancakes/cake, fresh homemade yoghurt and fruit puree sitting on the roof terrace overlooking the Medina. Lunch and dinner is also available if you let them know in the morning. The staff were a delight - helpful, polite, always smiling and with a good sense of humour (so very different from England where invariably everything is too much trouble and the answer is usually no!). Cyril, one of the owners, is an incredibly charming host who has put a great deal of time, care and attention to detail into beautifully and tastefully restoring this riad with his brother. They have created a chic, quiet and very laid back sanctuary less than five minutes walk from the main square (Djma El Fna). The riad has appeal for all - we came for a long overdue break together, but would just as happily have brought our 13 year old son or come for a holiday with friends. Excellent.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Paprika room which was very spacious with a lovely bathroom.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
orange64, Owner at Riad l'Orangeraie, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your visit to l'Orangeraie and your really nice review about your stay.

We are really happy that you had a good time at the riad and that you enjoyed breakfasts and dinners prepared by Nadia and Laila and more generally the warmth of all our staff members.

We really hope to have you stay with us again, next time with your son.

Cyril and the whole team at l'Orangeraie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Forresters Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

I haven't as yet had the pleasure of staying at this beautifully appointed riad, but recently made enquiries for a trip, which unfortunately, has not been possible at this time. But in saying this, all my correspondence with this riad were excellent.
Cyril could not have been more helpful, and I hope I can make it to Marakech on my next trip. I would definitely recommend this riad, and know I have missed out on a truly exceptional experience.
Thanks again.

Stayed February 2013
Dear future Guest,

Thank you so much for your review although you did not come to the riad yet!!

We are doing our best to respond quickly by e-mail and are really pleased that you enjoyed the way we handle your enquiry and our correspondence.

We really hope to have you stay with us in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

The staff and traditional architecture and location of this riad are exceptional. From start to finish of our 5 days stay it was a joy to be there. After three days in the desert our mint tea welcome followed by a delicious dinner by the open fire in the sumptuous lounge room was just the start . Lazing in our giant Moroccan bath, coffee or tea when ever we wanted it, breakfast on the rooftop.
Everyday a different combination of wonderful food. One of the staff even ran the Marrakech half marathon with my husband.
There are many beautiful riads in Marrakech but this one radiates Moroccan charm,authentic cooking lovely architecture and warm wonderful staff who made our stay in Marrakech very special. So if you are reading this review and feeling a little overwhelmed by the choice of riads as I did I recommend you book Riad de L'Orangerie for a very special and rare holiday experience.

Room Tip: We stayed in Ginger on the ground floor - great bathroom
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very nice review about your stay at l'Orangeraie.

It is true that the choice of a riad in Marrakech can be a bit overwhelming. For the last ten years, we have tried to constantly give the maximum of attention to our guests and we are really happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

By the way Aziz hope that he will make a better time than your husband at the marathon next year...-)!!

Once again thank you for your visit, we all really hope to have you stay with us again.

Aylesbury
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Our first visit to Marrakesch. Early February - 25 degrees, cloudless skies, excellent breakfast on the roof terrace. The accommodation in old traditional style is dressed in silk and brocades around an internal garden courtyard off which there is a plunge pool. So much to see and do. The staff could not be more attentive, helpful and friendly. We are now trying to find a retailer of the mattress in our suite. We have never slept so well! On arrival the Manager greeted us and explained the layout of the city and the whereabouts of the best places to visit. He also arranged an unforgettable trip to the Atlas Mountains, a visit to a Berber market followed by a two hour mule trekking experience. We have already recommended the Riad to our friends.

Room Tip: We had a suite.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your visit and your nice review on your stay at l'Orangeraie.

We are particularly happy that you enjoyed the quality of your sleep (as we put a special effort in choosing the best quality of mattress available in Marrakech).

Once again thank you for your visit, we all hope to have you stay again at the riad.

London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

This Riad has a great location, very nice rooms and a lovely set-up but the thing you remember long after leaving is the warmth of the service...it really feels like home in the best possible way - the entire team who look after you - all the ladies who clean, Ishmail, JAmal, Azizz (apologies for spelling...!), Nadia in the kitchen go out of their way to make your stay memorable. Its a totally different experience to staying in a hotel. We were there with our 10 month old son - they even bought a high chair to make it easier to feed him!...and there were so many other little touches. Honestly, the best service I have ever experienced in a hotel/guesthouse - something you really appreciate travelling with a child.

A few more practical points:

- People say it is expensive - I must say I disagree. The room rates are consistent with other Riads of similar quality, it is in the nicest part of the medina and I thought prices of drinks reasonable in comparison to other bars and restaurants. Hot drinks (great coffee and mint tea) are free.

- The location is excellent (Moussadine) - its in the thick of things and near the main square but much less hassle than other parts of town and surrounded by nice restaurants (special shout to Terrace Des Epices)

- Rooms are nice - we were in Coriander. They are very traditional - you know you are in Morrocco and not in an international hotel chain - I enjoyed being away from TV. Wifi was supplied throughout.

- There is a lovely guest lounge with an open fire (and AC in summer!) to chill out in and eat. A really nice room.

- We dined on 2 nights and on both occasions had great food - lovely Moroccan home cooking. Breakfast too are good - in particular fresh fruit purees andf home made yoghurt

- The booking process was very personalised - Cyril responded to emails so quickly and was incredibly helpful/accomodating to individual requests and questions.

In summary, the place was excellent.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
orange64, Owner at Riad l'Orangeraie, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your time to write a review on your stay with us.

We are really happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed the riad. We think that you are right to mention that it is a totally different experience to staying in a hotel (not only at our riad but in most of the riads in the medina).

Once again thank you for all your nice comments about the service, the food and the location of l'Orangeraie.

We really hope to have you stay with us again in the near future.

Nowhere
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I travelled alone to Morocco in September. This is a very nice riad- they had a ton of communication before hand, but it was a little confusing upon arrival not to see a Frenchman, since that is who I had been talking to. It is very clean and cool-compared to the heat! They were very helpful, but I would not go here as a solo traveller- I felt very awkward, as it was mostly couples. I would also say that it is very, very, expensive! I had a great time, but I wouldn't stay there alone again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
orange64, Owner at Riad l'Orangeraie, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay. We are happy that you liked the riad and the services provided by all the staff. As per all the recent reviews, we always pay a particular attention to the well being of all our guests and always do our best to make their stay as comfortable as possible. We are sorry that you felt a bit awkward to be a solo traveler at the riad amongst couples staying at the riad at the same time as you. As you can understand, we have no control on who is staying at the riad and we are sincerely sorry that you felt uneasy although we have quite a lot of guests staying on their own which never seems to be a problem.

Regarding your comments on the prices being expensive, our prices are per room where two people can stay and although we can understand that for a single person traveler it can seem expensive, we really believe that considering the level of the riad (high quality service, top location, and quality of our accommodations) we provide a very good value for money compared to other riads in the same price range.

Once again, we wanted to thank you for your feedback and your visit at the riad. The whole staff at l’Orangeraie would be really happy to have you stay with us again in the future.

Cyril
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Riad Orangerie is truly exceptional. My husband and I just returned from a two-week trip to Morocco and our stay at this riad was a highlight of our trip. Other TA reviewers have spoken to the riad’s great location (smack in the middle of the medina) and the lovely physical space (we especially loved the rooftop deck for reading in the warm January sun, listening to the call to prayer at the mosques). So I will focus my comments on the service provided by Cyril Bernard and his team.

The extraordinary service began when I made my reservations several months prior. I asked (via email) about several things beyond the accommodations: e.g. a transfer from Casablanca, how to plan a 4-day overland trip to through the High Atlas Mountains and on to Fez. Cyril responded quickly, graciously, and with excellent ideas. The transfer went perfectly, and the tour company he connected us with planned and delivered a memorable trip. At the riad itself, his staff went out of their way to be welcoming and attentive. We interacted quite a bit with Azizz who was friendly, professional, and very helpful and with the young lady in the kitchen always had a huge smile on her face.

But this was not the end of the service! When I returned home to the US, I discovered that I had left my favorite sweater somewhere. I checked our photos and traced my last wearing to the Riad Orangerie. I wrote a note to Cyril asking if they had happened to come across it. Next thing I knew he was phoning me in the US to get more details and then, phoning me again to tell me they had found it and he would bring it to France where he would ship it back to me. Unbelievable! I can’t ever remember – in 4 decades of traveling – this level of personal service.

All in all, I think it would be hard to top the Riad Orangerie in location, physical space, and especially service…anywhere. Thank you, everyone, for a memorable stay!

Room Tip: Paprika Room was lovely and spacious
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
orange64, Owner at Riad l'Orangeraie, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your wonderful comments on the level of service that you experimented at the riad. We are really happy to hear that you enjoyed your time in Marrakech and the trip that has been organised for you.

We really hope to have you stay with us again for your next visit to Marrakech!

Once again thank you for your time.

Cyril and the whole team at l'Orangeraie

Been to Riad l'Orangeraie? Share your experiences!