“Brilliant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad l'Orangeraie

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Riad l'Orangeraie
You added Riad l'Orangeraie to your Saves list
61 rue Sidi Yamani | Medina, Marrakech 44000, Morocco   |
Ranked #12 of 1,080 Marrakech B&B and Inns
London, UK
“Brilliant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

This Riad has a great location, very nice rooms and a lovely set-up but the thing you remember long after leaving is the warmth of the service...it really feels like home in the best possible way - the entire team who look after you - all the ladies who clean, Ishmail, JAmal, Azizz (apologies for spelling...!), Nadia in the kitchen go out of their way to make your stay memorable. Its a totally different experience to staying in a hotel. We were there with our 10 month old son - they even bought a high chair to make it easier to feed him!...and there were so many other little touches. Honestly, the best service I have ever experienced in a hotel/guesthouse - something you really appreciate travelling with a child.

A few more practical points:

- People say it is expensive - I must say I disagree. The room rates are consistent with other Riads of similar quality, it is in the nicest part of the medina and I thought prices of drinks reasonable in comparison to other bars and restaurants. Hot drinks (great coffee and mint tea) are free.

- The location is excellent (Moussadine) - its in the thick of things and near the main square but much less hassle than other parts of town and surrounded by nice restaurants (special shout to Terrace Des Epices)

- Rooms are nice - we were in Coriander. They are very traditional - you know you are in Morrocco and not in an international hotel chain - I enjoyed being away from TV. Wifi was supplied throughout.

- There is a lovely guest lounge with an open fire (and AC in summer!) to chill out in and eat. A really nice room.

- We dined on 2 nights and on both occasions had great food - lovely Moroccan home cooking. Breakfast too are good - in particular fresh fruit purees andf home made yoghurt

- The booking process was very personalised - Cyril responded to emails so quickly and was incredibly helpful/accomodating to individual requests and questions.

In summary, the place was excellent.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
orange64, Owner at Riad l'Orangeraie, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your time to write a review on your stay with us.

We are really happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed the riad. We think that you are right to mention that it is a totally different experience to staying in a hotel (not only at our riad but in most of the riads in the medina).

Once again thank you for all your nice comments about the service, the food and the location of l'Orangeraie.

We really hope to have you stay with us again in the near future.

Cyril and the whole team at l'Orangeraie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Nowhere
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I travelled alone to Morocco in September. This is a very nice riad- they had a ton of communication before hand, but it was a little confusing upon arrival not to see a Frenchman, since that is who I had been talking to. It is very clean and cool-compared to the heat! They were very helpful, but I would not go here as a solo traveller- I felt very awkward, as it was mostly couples. I would also say that it is very, very, expensive! I had a great time, but I wouldn't stay there alone again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
orange64, Owner at Riad l'Orangeraie, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay. We are happy that you liked the riad and the services provided by all the staff. As per all the recent reviews, we always pay a particular attention to the well being of all our guests and always do our best to make their stay as comfortable as possible. We are sorry that you felt a bit awkward to be a solo traveler at the riad amongst couples staying at the riad at the same time as you. As you can understand, we have no control on who is staying at the riad and we are sincerely sorry that you felt uneasy although we have quite a lot of guests staying on their own which never seems to be a problem.

Regarding your comments on the prices being expensive, our prices are per room where two people can stay and although we can understand that for a single person traveler it can seem expensive, we really believe that considering the level of the riad (high quality service, top location, and quality of our accommodations) we provide a very good value for money compared to other riads in the same price range.

Once again, we wanted to thank you for your feedback and your visit at the riad. The whole staff at l’Orangeraie would be really happy to have you stay with us again in the future.

Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Riad Orangerie is truly exceptional. My husband and I just returned from a two-week trip to Morocco and our stay at this riad was a highlight of our trip. Other TA reviewers have spoken to the riad’s great location (smack in the middle of the medina) and the lovely physical space (we especially loved the rooftop deck for reading in the warm January sun, listening to the call to prayer at the mosques). So I will focus my comments on the service provided by Cyril Bernard and his team.

The extraordinary service began when I made my reservations several months prior. I asked (via email) about several things beyond the accommodations: e.g. a transfer from Casablanca, how to plan a 4-day overland trip to through the High Atlas Mountains and on to Fez. Cyril responded quickly, graciously, and with excellent ideas. The transfer went perfectly, and the tour company he connected us with planned and delivered a memorable trip. At the riad itself, his staff went out of their way to be welcoming and attentive. We interacted quite a bit with Azizz who was friendly, professional, and very helpful and with the young lady in the kitchen always had a huge smile on her face.

But this was not the end of the service! When I returned home to the US, I discovered that I had left my favorite sweater somewhere. I checked our photos and traced my last wearing to the Riad Orangerie. I wrote a note to Cyril asking if they had happened to come across it. Next thing I knew he was phoning me in the US to get more details and then, phoning me again to tell me they had found it and he would bring it to France where he would ship it back to me. Unbelievable! I can’t ever remember – in 4 decades of traveling – this level of personal service.

All in all, I think it would be hard to top the Riad Orangerie in location, physical space, and especially service…anywhere. Thank you, everyone, for a memorable stay!

Room Tip: Paprika Room was lovely and spacious
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
orange64, Owner at Riad l'Orangeraie, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your wonderful comments on the level of service that you experimented at the riad. We are really happy to hear that you enjoyed your time in Marrakech and the trip that has been organised for you.

We really hope to have you stay with us again for your next visit to Marrakech!

Once again thank you for your time.

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Having arrived and our luggage being misplaced by the airline, the treatment we received from Ishmail and his team was excellent. Very clean, hospitable, very good accommodation and food with very thoughtful people Jamail and Aziz.
I would go back again and have recommended the Riad to many friends back in Australia.

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your visist at the riad and your review on Trip Advisor.

We all hope that you had a nice trip back to Australia without any problems with your luggage and wish to have you stay with us for your next visist to Marrakech.

london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I can only agree with the other recent reviews. I can't recommend this Riad enough. I went with my grown-up daughters and one of their boyfriend's for a short-break over the new year. We all loved the riad - beautifully done out and a wonderfulhaven from the hustle and bustle outside the door. The staff - Ishmail, Aziz and Jamail were delightful - they were welcoming, charming and informative. We had a wonderful trip to Marrakech and if I went again would definitely choose the Riad l'Organerie as my base.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your vist at the riad and your nice feedback about your stay.

The whole staff at l'Orangeraie will be very happy to have you and your family stay with us again.

Once again thank you for your time.

Cyril, Ismail, Aziz, Jamal, Nadia, Khadija and the whole team
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed 4 nights and had the best stay. The location is great and the staff are so friendly and welcoming. The breakfasts served on the roof terrace were delicious and fresh. We would certainly come back to this riad.

Room Tip: We stayed in the cinnamon room which was nice and had good value. Every night the staff lit candles...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
orange64, Owner at Riad l'Orangeraie, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your visit and your nice feedback on your stay with us.

We look forward to have you again at the riad.

Palm Springs, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Our first time in Marrakech will not be our last, largely to the accommodations and staff at Riad L’Orangearie. We were greeted at the airport with a taxi ride to the Medina. Once we arrived to the narrow streets, we were met with a porter who carried our luggage to the Riad. The gorgeous sights, sounds and smells of the Medina made it difficult to keep an eye on our guide who swiftly led the way through the labyrinth of streets. Before we knew it, we were in front of the large door to L’Orangearie. Inside, we found an oasis of calm, serenity and beauty. Our room was beyond beautiful in its simplicity. The staff eager to share all that they know of their beloved home and city. Opt for dinner in one night. Served by the fire, it is the homemade meal we all wish our mothers had in their repertoire. Comfort, beauty and four star service will be found at Riad L’Orangeraie. We felt like family, and we were treated like kings! Take if from this well traveled explorer, Marrakech and Riad L’Orangeraie will exceed your expectations with the beauty and cultural experience you have been waiting your whole life for.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
orange64, Owner at Riad l'Orangeraie, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your stay with us and your lovely feedback about your time at the riad.

The whole team at l'Orangeraie look forward to have you stay again.

Cyril

Been to Riad l'Orangeraie? Share your experiences!