This Riad has a great location, very nice rooms and a lovely set-up but the thing you remember long after leaving is the warmth of the service...it really feels like home in the best possible way - the entire team who look after you - all the ladies who clean, Ishmail, JAmal, Azizz (apologies for spelling...!), Nadia in the kitchen go out of their way to make your stay memorable. Its a totally different experience to staying in a hotel. We were there with our 10 month old son - they even bought a high chair to make it easier to feed him!...and there were so many other little touches. Honestly, the best service I have ever experienced in a hotel/guesthouse - something you really appreciate travelling with a child.
A few more practical points:
- People say it is expensive - I must say I disagree. The room rates are consistent with other Riads of similar quality, it is in the nicest part of the medina and I thought prices of drinks reasonable in comparison to other bars and restaurants. Hot drinks (great coffee and mint tea) are free.
- The location is excellent (Moussadine) - its in the thick of things and near the main square but much less hassle than other parts of town and surrounded by nice restaurants (special shout to Terrace Des Epices)
- Rooms are nice - we were in Coriander. They are very traditional - you know you are in Morrocco and not in an international hotel chain - I enjoyed being away from TV. Wifi was supplied throughout.
- There is a lovely guest lounge with an open fire (and AC in summer!) to chill out in and eat. A really nice room.
- We dined on 2 nights and on both occasions had great food - lovely Moroccan home cooking. Breakfast too are good - in particular fresh fruit purees andf home made yoghurt
- The booking process was very personalised - Cyril responded to emails so quickly and was incredibly helpful/accomodating to individual requests and questions.
In summary, the place was excellent.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Restored to its previous grandeur by a passionate team, this ancient Marrakech residence has been transformed into a Riad with a delightful ambiance. The seven spicy bedrooms, warm and colourful like their name, open onto two patios. The garden patio, where you can enjoy the flowers and aromatic plants while the fountain trickles in the background and the pool patio, an invitation to the art of relaxation, beside the sky blue mosaic pool. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Riad De l`Orangeraie Hotel Marrakech