“The wedding of my dreams” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Kniza

You added Riad Kniza to your Saves list
Riad Kniza
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   34 Derb l'Hotel | Bab Doukkala, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #16 of 473 Hotels in Marrakech
A TripAdvisor Member
“The wedding of my dreams”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2006

I always wanted to get married in Marrakech, so my husband and I decided to go there few months before our big day to choose a riad that we would rent exclusively for the event.
After spending days looking for the perfect place, we found Riad Kniza, a gem in the heart of the medina, a real tastfully decorated moroccan riad, the decor is traditional, the rooms were amazingly beautiful, there was a roof terrace where we could have a candle light dinner for the wedding. The place was so charming and so romantic, there was no way we would have had our party anywhere else.
There are millions of riads in Marrakech, most of them are decorated with a european or a modern touch but riad Kniza is the real thing.
The Director Kamal made us feel at home straight away, he was so helpful and assured us that they would take care of every little detail about the wedding. Actually as it is a family run hotel, everybody was helping.
The staff was excellent, so polite and helpful with our 60 guests who came from Morocco, France, the UK and even Japan.
Kamal is very knownledgeable about his city which was very helpful, he organised to book a Hammam for us, we had a lady coming to do my hair and do some henna. He organised the musicians, the belly dancer, the food which was excellent.
At the end of the night he even organised horse carriges to take back our guests to their hotels.
It was an unforgettable evening for my husband and I of course, both our families and of course our guests who absolutly loved it.
I can't describe in words how fantastic Riad Kniza is, you have to experience it.
The personalized service which makes it better than in a 5 star hotel and the attention to detail put in every corner of the riad just shows how much love and effort the owners put into it.
I have been many times in Marrakech and stayed in many boutique hotels and riads before but if you want to experience the best of this magical city, stay at Riad Kniza.
Mehdia Eldridge, London UK.e a

• Stayed July 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2006

The Riad Kniza is much more than a home from home. The attention to detail and personal service are second to none. Nothing is too much trouble there and my fiance and I are very proud and extremely honoured to be able to call everyone at the Riad, especially Mohammmed, Kamal, Samira and Hannen, our friends.
The decor is exquisite, the roof terrace and its views over the rooftops and minarets of the medina absolutely stunning. The peace and quiet at the Kniza is a welcome contrast to the bustling city itself. In fact, it is so serene, you sometimes wonder how you can possibly be in the middle of Marrakech! The food at the Riad is a veritable gourmet experience every time. All in all, a beautiful place to stay.
We have seen other riads in the medina, albeit only from their respective entrances, and, to be honest, I am not sure I would feel totally at ease there, especially as my latest visit was with a girlfriend. At the Kniza, I know I will always be well looked after. Just by way of example, my friend and I had a day trip to the Atlas mountains and a Berber market. Everything was arranged by the Kniza and they regularly rang our driver throughout the day to make sure that all was OK. You can't get much better than that! My fiance knew that my friend and I would be in good hands.
My fiance and I travel as much as we can and are always keen to see new places. We do, however, always manage to return to Marrakech (this last visit was my tenth time!) and wouldn't dream of staying anywhere other than the Riad Kniza. And of all the places we have been, we have chosen this as the venue for our wedding in September 2007. We know that Mohammed and Kamal, and everyone else, will make it a very special and unforgettable occasion for us.
In the meantime, we have already booked to go back in September of this year, and there will no doubt be a few more trips prior to the Big Day. Not that WE need any excuses to return! I could go on forever, but I shall stop there and hope that my review will encourage readers to experience for themselves the beauty and serenity of the Riad Kniza.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2006

We read the reviews on Trip advisor about this Riad before we booked and we were not disappointed, our expectations were exceeded. We had the most wonderful stay. Kamal picked us up from the airport (our plane was delayed, it was 1o'clock in the morning) and took us to the Riad. The Riad is in a very convenient location and is like an oasis amongst the medina. The staff at the Riad were lovely and very helpful. Breakfast on the roof was one of the high lights of our day. As beautiful and relaxing as our rooms were our trip was made by Mohammmed (the owner of the riad) who went out of his way to make our trip unforgettable. Our first day he took us on tour, which is included in the price of the accommodation. We saw a side of the fascinating city that we would never of seen on our own. Mohammed looked after us as if we were family visiting. One night we were there they cooked dinner for our whole family (there was 9 of us) it was arguably the best meal while we were in Marrakesh. We can't say enough good things about this Riad and highly recommend it without hesitation. We are planning to return.

Perdita Brown

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2006

After reading all of the extraordinary reviews on Riad Kniza, there was no way we were going to stay anywhere else but there. A couple of e-mails later, we were surely going to embark on an adventure whilst staying in opulent luxury.

The adventure was there for sure, but what about all these positive reviews? Riad Kniza is very beautiful, but not the most gorgeous, nor practical, nor spectacular riad by far (it looks a bit dated and tacky). The ‘superior service’ is no better than we have experienced in any four or five star hotel across the globe, and frankly, a bit on the slow side (orders get forgotten, or something else arrives instead).

Our biggest shock however was when we returned from yet another stroll through the souks. As the weather started to get cooler in the evening, my wife wanted to wear her pair of trousers. To our surprise, we could not find them (she wore them on the plane) and turned the place upside down, only to come to the painful conclusion that besides her (designer label) trousers, her (designer label) dress and pullover were also gone. As a matter of fact, her three most expensive items of clothing (remarkably all designer labels) were gone. I know what some of you might be thinking: maybe they didn’t take them with them. Oh yes we did. We even double checked our pictures from the days before to make sure we weren’t imagining things. Riad Kniza does not believe in locks on the door (they are one happy family after all, and the riad is your home when you stay there – or so it is proclaimed), so your room is open all the time whilst people walk in and out the riad, and your room, throughout day and night. Get my drift?

Off course we immediately notified the riad of our clothes gone ‘missing’ (we did not even mention the word stolen as it might all be a misunderstanding after all). Their reaction? Well, not too interested really. After another two hours of no progress (they tried the ‘be really quiet and hide’ strategy), I kindly inquired for the location of the nearest police station so I could get a statement drafted up for insurance purposes. All of sudden, the manager was mysteriously going to be in the next five minutes to ‘sort these things personally’. About thirty minutes later, the man himself arrived to give us the grilling of a lifetime. ‘Are you sure your clothes are missing?’ … ‘Are you sure you lost them in the riad?’ … After a while, this game got boring, so I asked him to please stop asking the same questions. The clothes were gone, we had them with us, it happened in their riad, where the doors have no locks, and I wanted a police statement.
Next phase was a string of apologies and a plea for not involving any police. The riad would ‘have a word’ with the staff and pay us the clothes back (via a reduction in the rate). Well, I do not know if that ‘talk with the staff’ ever happened, and we never saw our clothes again, but we did get refunded in the end. Needless to say the rest of our stay was rather awkward, and the riad owners acted strangely. When asked on a status update, no progress. When going for another visit of town the next day, our room was ‘searched’ by the time we got back. They could have at least pretended it was being cleaned, but it was simply ‘searched’ (probably to see if we really didn’t lose our clothes).

All in all, Riad Kniza is a nice place to stay. It is not the prettiest of Riads. The service is not the best in Marrakech either. But for those who like a family hotel feeling, go for it. We will most likely not go back, it is not worth its value for that price.

Just remember to take a padlock with you.

, Director at Riad Kniza, responded to this review, June 23, 2006
As a reply to the review posted by the guests who lost three items of clothing, it is important to add that these guests stayed at Riad Kniza for few nights and moved to another Riad before they came back to finish the rest of their stay in Marrakech with us. The guests took with them some of their belongings to the other Riad and left the rest in ours. It was after their return from the other accommodation that they have signalled the missing items. At first the guests said that they were a 100% certain that they left their missing cloths in a bag in our Riad, after checking the bag they changed their statement and said that they were now a 100% sure that they forgot their clothes in a cupboard.

Even if we are certain that nothing was stolen in our Riad, we were happy to refund the value of the cloths that our guests lost at the price they would cost if bought new (around 150 British Pounds for all the items lost) since we knew that this would ease their frustration because having happy and satisfied guests is what matters most for us.

It is also important to add that all our employees are very trustworthy and that we never had before a guest complaining about such a thing. Furthermore, most of our guests bring with them very valuable items including jewelry, PDAs, laptops, credit cards, cash… and that it would make much more sense for a thief to go after this items rather than two used pairs of trousers.

The wellbeing and safety of our guests and their belongings is extremely important to us.

Kamal Bouskri
Director

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2006

I don't even know where to begin. My sister-in law and I stayed at the Riad Kniza at the beginning of a 3 week trip around Africa. Once I discovered this Riad on the Internet, I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else. Kamal was extremely helpful in making all arrangments for our stay. We were in need of 5 nights accomadations, but he only had availability for the 1st and last two nights of our stay. He arranged for us to be transported to La Roseraie (a resort in the Atlas Mountains) for the middle night. He assured us that it would be an enjoyable excursion...and it was.

From the moment we arrived at the airport, we received incredible service. Kamal greeted us at the airport and encouraged us to exchange money while he waited. Provided umbrella's and took care of all our bags. Escorted us to the beautiful Riad where we were greeted by a pleasant staff. We arrived around 8pm (after travelling for 16 hours) We were immediately offered dinner in the dining room. Every meal we ate at the Riad was wonderful. We looked forward to the fresh squeezed orange juice every morning (it was the best we ever had).

I can't say enough about this Riad. I would agree that it is a calm oasis in an extremely chaotic city. We definately received 5 star service from everyone we encountered; from the staff (Engligh speaking), to our tour guide (Aziz), to the taxi drivers (who had been hired to transport us to the mountains)

The location is great (a short 5 minute walk to the heart of the Medina) and a one to two minute walk from the entrance to the Medina (where the Taxi's drop you off). We were apprehensive prior to our arrival (you never know if a hotel just has a really good web-designer) I assure you that every picture and comment on the web site for Riad Kniza is accurate. After our return, I reviewed the website for this Riad and several others we had considered. I know we made the right decision in choosing this Riad, I can't imagine staying anywhere else in Marrakech. I will definately return to this Riad.

• Stayed May 2006
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2006

The TripAdvisor reviews don't even begin to do this wonderful residence justice. Kamal and his staff were so helpful in planning our trip. The emails flew back and forth, and every question was answered and attended to. We were met at the airport by Kamal himself. After a quick drive around the city, we were taken to the lovely Riad Kniza. The pictures don't tell half the story. Everything is impeccable - the decor, the atmosphere, the food, and the staff. We felt as if we were guests in Kamal's house. Everyone treated us like family. We ate two dinners (one on the roof, one in one of the living rooms) - amazing. The best meals in Marrakech. And the breakfasts were a tasty and wonderful way to start each day.

The staff arranged for several excursions - a horseback riding trip in the Atlas Mountains w/lunch at a resort (not to be missed), a trip to a hammam/spa (incredibly relaxing), and a tour of the city (truly magical). At the end of our short (4 day) visit, we did not want to leave our new friends. The Riad Kniza was, to us, the heart and soul of Marrakech. An oasis of calm in this bustling ancient city, it is the perfect place to experience the hospitality and warmth of Kamal, his family, and staff. We are already planning our return.

• Stayed May 2006
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2006

My friend and I stayed at Riad Kniza for three nights in May. The hotel is very welcoming and the room was lovely. Unlike all the other riads we looked at it was the only one that offered twin beds. Travelling as a single person either alone or with a friend can be really difficult and frustratingly expensive. This was not the case with this charming family run riad.

The first night we had a meal on the delightful roof terrace, which was excellent. The riad is also well located and yet blissfully quiet. The doors and stoen work in the hotel are fabulous. Some small touches one would expect in a luxury hotel were missing , such as the fact that trays on which tea and nibbles had arrived were not removed from our room because there is no evening room check. However this did not detract from our very pleasant expereince at Riad Kniza, even though it hit 42 degrees in temperature!

Been to Riad Kniza? Share your experiences!