“I am a tough customer, and Riad Kniza exceeded my expectations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Kniza

Save Saved
You added Riad Kniza to your Saves list
Riad Kniza
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   34 Derb l'Hotel | Bab Doukkala, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Special Offer
1 FREE Night
Ranked #11 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Shaker Heights, Ohio
“I am a tough customer, and Riad Kniza exceeded my expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

This is a marvelous place in the old city of Marrakech. The guidebooks will tell you that you have 3 options for accomodations in Marrakech: the old city; the new city; or the Palmerie. If you want the full experience of Marrakech, stay in the old city.
Riad Kniza is a family owned and run riad in the old city. Many hotel operations could go to school on the standard of service offered here. My husband, 16-year old daughter, and I spent 5 days in Marrakech, 4 of which we stayed at Riad Kniza. Riad Kniza was fully booked the first night. When our plane and train were late and our first hotel had no record of our reservation, knowing no one, I called Kemal, the director of the Riad Kniza. He helped us find a place to stay the first night and arranged for transportation from the train station (and we weren't even staying at his hotel that night). When the driver arranged for us could not be at the station at the appointed time, Kemal, himself, came to pick us up. This level of service was a constant throughout our stay.

Riad Kniza is impeccably clean, the staff is gracious, and the rooms are very large and beautifully appointed. The common rooms in the house are open and available for guest use, making the experience at Riad Kniza a cross between a beautiful hotel and your wealthy aunt's castle. The family owns a high quality antique store in the new city that guests should be sure to visit. Many antiques are appropriately placed throughout the Riad. The hotel arranged for a car with guide to take us into the Atlas mountains (well worth the trip). The breakfast included with room is plentiful and changes each day. The roof top outdoor lounge is perfect for the afternoon sun. I have stayed in some very nice places in my life, and the Riad Kniza is one of them.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family

987 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2009

Well there's not much I can say here that hasn't already been said in all the wonderful reviews.

My parents booked this place for my boyfriend and I as a xmas present.
I had never been to morocco and it was my boyfriends first time overseas, so it was great to have someone pick us up from the airport and show us to the riad. We would have had a hard time finding it otherwise.

From the moment we arrived we were well looked after, the staff are the most sincere and friendly I have ever come across and have impeccable manners.
There is always someone there to make sure you have everything you need and are very helpful and always available to give you advise and arrange day trips if needed.
I recommend going to the atlas mountains, they arranged a driver to take us there one day and it was definitely the best experience we had in Morocco.

We had booked a room and were even upgraded to a suite on arrival which was fantastic.
The suite was so beautiful! The bed was enormous and so comfortable. We had a hard time getting up in the morning! After spending the day walking around Marrakesh with the crowds, heat and dirt it is a dream to come back to this place.

Some days we just wanted to lie up on the terrace and look out across the city to the atlas mountains away from all the hustle and bustle. It is so peaceful up there its hard to imagine that you are right in the centre of Marrakesh.

I have to admit Marrakesh wasn't exactly the city for us, we found it pretty overwhelming at times, I felt I was risking my life every time I stepped outside, bikes and motorbikes darting all over the place and people constantly harassing you. I lost count of the time we were scammed and ripped off! But its all part of the experience and I wouldn't change a thing.
I loved being woken up at the crack of dawn to the prayers that can be heard all over the city, it was a sound I have never heard before and there is something so soothing about it. You feel like you are somewhere so exotic, so far far from home...

The food though was AMAZING and so cheap. Its the one thing you don't get ripped off with! I still dream about tangines, harissa soup and the pastries and breads ahhhhh.

I would definitely recommend this hotel, you can't beat the location (inside the medina walls) and is one of a small number of riads left in Marrakesh still owned by a Moroccan family.
Staying here made our holiday one to remember, you feel like royalty in a palace, and even though it is luxurious you still feel like you are having a truly Moroccan experience..

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2009

Stayed here with my wife for our first anniversary. Very pleased with Kamal and his staff. This place is tucked away on a narrow side street off the main medina. From the outside you could not tell what a gem this place is. As soon as the front doors open, its like a portal to story from Arabian Nights. The food was so delicous i can still taste the tangine chicken today if i close my eyes and remember my stay. Kind of like a "Bounty moment" without the palm trees and coconuts!!! The rooms were large and very well decorated. All of the staff were very helpfull and would love the chance to stay here again

• Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

We stayed in the duplex Ambar Suite for four nights and loved every minute. Kamal and his staff could not have been more accomodating. They went out of their way to fulfill every wish we has during our stay. This included having snaps installed on a leather bag, searching for the correct memory stick, "whatever you want" menu at mealtimes, arranging top notch guides and drivers and on and on. They have just received the Trip Advisor award for best service.

We could not fault our two floor suite with 1 1/2 baths and fireplaces. A huge dome was over the bed. There was no refrigerator, but we could have soft drinks and bottled water at any time at no charge. The wine was reasonable. We did not use the Spa or outdoor courtyard pool, but both looked great.

Riad Kniza is close to the edge of the Medina. It is no more than 20 or 30 minutes walk to any sight and close to car streets with available parking and taxis.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Halifax,Nova Scotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2009

A truely remarkable 4-night stay.It surpassed all expectations.We stayed in the Royal Bahia Suite and it was HUGE.Pictures do not capture its true size.The Riad is spotless and tastefully decorate with antiques.Each piece exquisite.
We had one dinner and it was great.Do eat here at least once.
The staff is fantastic and make you feel at home and part of their family.Nothing is too much to ask for.They go out of their way to make your stay comfortable.Loved having the fireplace lit every night,having coffee on the rooftop terrace every afternoon,breakfast in our room etc.Had a hamam and massage which we enjoyed-first time.Enjoyed the trip up the Atlas mountains and through the Ourika valley.Great driver-Rasheed- and brilliant scenery.
Great recommendations for restaurants.We ate at Le Tobsil,Dar Marjana and Dar Moha.All fantastic and loads of tasty food.We couldnt finish our meals.The most romantic restaurants!!
Thanks Samira,Hanane and the rest of Kamal's staff who helped make our trip to Morocco an excellent experience.The poeple in general are warm and giving and the country very safe.
Keep in mind you have to pay to take someone's photo.Tip well.Barter well-shop around.If you are willing to walk away the price may lower significantly.Carpet sellers amy be a bit aggressive unlike the rest of the vendors.
Buy a drink on the rooftop cafe around Jamaa al Fn and enjoy the sights between 5-8pm.
Enjoy.You wont regret staying here.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

We enjoyed a splendid 3 days at Riad Kniza and would return without question. The food is excellent, the service is impeccable, and they offer to take care of any needs at all--sightseeing, massage and steam bath, restaurant recommendations. Kamal is an impeccable host. Highly, highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

Spent 3 nights at Riad Kniza celebrating a major birthday.
Kamal and his staff are so accomodating,nothing was too much trouble ,we were made to feel really special,even down to the free hammam for my birthday!! It was wonderful and the massage afterwards was soooooo relaxing,I almost fell asleep.
The hotel food was some of the best I have eaten, tasty ,hot,plentiful and well presented and served .Breakfasts were served in our room ,varied menus and huge portions ,so beware of your waistline!
All the little touches ,like fresh fruit and bottled water in room and mint tea and pastries on arrival ,made this holiday one I shall never forget and look forward to returning soon with our family.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Kniza? Share your experiences!