“Perfect Service - and we haven't even arrived yet! Above and Beyond.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Kniza

You added Riad Kniza to your Saves list
Riad Kniza
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   34 Derb l'Hotel | Bab Doukkala, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Special Offer
Free Inclusions
Ranked #12 of 464 Hotels in Marrakech
New York, New York, United States
“Perfect Service - and we haven't even arrived yet! Above and Beyond.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I am staying in Riad Kniza next week. I've never been to Morocco before, so I've had so many questions (literally - I've exchanged 22 emails with the wonderful staff at Riad Kniza) and they've already gone above and beyond to help me plan my stay.

We'll be spending 4 nights at the Riad Kniza, and got a wonderful package including a half day trip to the Atlas Mountains, pick up from Casablanca airport, half-hour massage in the spa, dinner one night in the riad, half-day tour of the souk, etc. The staff at Riad Kniza has even booked our Merzouga/ Sahara desert trek for us!! I have had a million questions about the desert trek, and they patiently answered all of my questions, providing tons of detail. They've arranged a driver/tour guide and booked the hotels for the two nights we'll be on the trek.

All of this in such a GREAT package deal! They've already gone above and beyond in terms of service, and I cannot wait to get to Marrakech!

Thank you to the very kind staff at Riad Kniza who have helped me plan every little detail of our upcoming trip!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have recently come back after spending 8 nights at the Riad Kniza. From the subtle aroma of jasmine that permeates the communal areas on the ground floor to the exquisite furniture and soft furnishing, to the beautifully engraved ceilings, we can't fault this beautiful place. The staff was absolutely brilliant, looking after all our needs (including preparing the bed for the night and sprinkling rose petals on our table at dinner). The gentlemen at the reception even went the extra length and arranged daily excursions on our behalf.
I won't even start praising their food: we dined at the Riad almost every night!
We felt completely relaxed, comfortable, and looked after - Thank you all at the Riad Kniza for making our holiday a dream one!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I brought my husband here for his 50th last September and have been meaning to write a review ever since. We stayed on a 4 night break booked direct with the Riad. The service was faultless with attentive staff but not obtrusive and yes it was like being privileged guests in someones home but that made it all the more unique. We had a suite which was beautiful with stunning decor and wonderful touches. The mint tea and pastries after a long day of exploring are delicious and very addictive! It is true the location is down a small alleyway directly from a local market area but this just leads to the charm of it. Marrakech is not England and part of a holiday for us is to see and experience how other people in the world live. We had a day trip to the Atlas mountains and went out with a local guide. The mountains are fresh and we enjoyed seeing another side to the area. We stopped for a late lunch at Richard Bransons hotel whch was also wonderful and very good value. The guided walk around the city was informative and felt very personal. For me the Hammam and massage were the perfect end to the stay followed by a superb meal on the roof terrace to celebrate my husbands birthday with a surprise ice cream cake from the staff - magical. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place to anyone and whilst it is not cheap you certainly get what you pay for and for me it was worth every penny to see my husbands face from the moment we stepped through the door from the dusty street to the last night of lavish splendour on that terrace.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My husband and I and three other couples were guests of Riad Kniza from April 26- 29. Everything was perfect. All of our rooms were beautiful. The staff are amazing. The food sublime.
It deserves every bit of praise it has received .

Karen Cole

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed in Riad Kniza from May 1-4 and loved it - this Riad was one of the highlights of our 10-day trip to Morocco. We walked through the souk to get to the Riad - it's very overwhelming for a first-timer - turned down a tiny winding Derb (dead-end) and arrived at the front door. From the first moment we were inside, we were impressed by the staff and the beauty of the property. The Riad (11 sleeping rooms) feels big - it was full when we were there, but it's easy to feel like you have the whole place to yourself because of the way the rooms are laid out. Because it was full, our first night was spent in an interior courtyard room (#6), which was lovely. The bathroom is well-appointed, the bedroom is large and comfortable.

For the remainder of the stay, we moved to suite #8, which was spectacular. In the ceiling over the bed is a beautifully carved plaster dome, which makes you feel like you are sleeping in a palace. This suite was a bit quieter than room #6 - it was up a separate staircase over the pool (which is "indoors" insomuch as it's surrounded by walls, but "outdoors" in that there is no roof above it - note, it's not heated) and felt very secluded. We had breakfast every morning on the roof terrace and wine there most evenings. The staff bend over backwards to make guests feel welcome - we were repeatedly told "this is your home."

We took a private cooking class with Amina, one of the cooks at Riad Kniza. This was a great experience - definitely worth doing! Together, we walked out into the souk, chose our meat from a local butcher, selected our vegetables and spices and then cooked in a beautiful private Western-style kitchen on the ground floor of the Riad before having lunch on the roof. Amina was lovely, and we had a great time.

The Riad is about a 15-20 minute walk from Jemma el-Fna; I felt perfectly safe walking to and from the square both during the day and at night. There are (at least) two ways to get there - once you're in the main walkway, stay left when the road splits and just keep walking. If you stay to the right, it's a less-scenic, more heavily (car) trafficked street. It was great to be walking distance from the square; I had originally looked at other luxury hotels in Marrakech (Four Seasons, etc.) - am so glad we chose Riad Kniza instead. It was absolutely perfect.

Room Tip: We loved suite #8 best out of the 5 hotel rooms we stayed in during our trip to Morocco.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

I feel terribly guilty writing about the location of riad kniza as it is not something the owners have a say in but I as an animal lover I wish someone had included it in their review before I stayed. It is situated just off a street another guest nicknamed 'bomb alley'. It is not the tourist face of Marrakech but perhaps more authentic. Apart from the butchers with their huge headless animal carcuses hanging outside there were also numerous chicken stalls with caged chickens brought out at the shoppers request and beheaded right there in front of them!!!! There were also surly local traders who waved us on before we even touched our cameras and people selling whole chopped off cows legs with skin stood up without the body! It was shocking and I thank god my daughter wasn't with me.
If you do have an incredibly strong stomache and can live with the location, Riad Kniza is the most amazing place. Behind the door hidden in the wall lay a palace that has previously hosted the likes of Brad Pitt, Richard Branson and Ronald Regan! Every single one of the staff were helpful, nothing at all was too much trouble.
Kind of strange having no menus or price lists but the riad is run like a private residence and whatever you want to eat, they'll cook it!
Breakfast was lavish and delicious. Unbelievably, there was no charge for either bottled water or named brand soft drinks like coke. There was also no charge for mint tea and biscuits at any time of day.
The haman was not cheap and I felt the massages were on the costly side compared with other places I've stayed. Unfortunately the pool was simply too cold to use and only the young or very brave ventured in.
Everything in the riad was spotless. The kitchen was perhaps the cleanest I've ever seen. We heard some great cookery lessons taking place.
We were upgraded to the royal suite which was amazing. As beautifully finished as all the other suites but with the square footage of my house in the uk! If you can afford it, book it! You will not regret it!
I spent most days undisturbed on the roof sunbathing, anything I wanted was a mere push button phone away. The terraces are laid out so that you can spend an entire day not seeing a single soul and feeling as though the whole Riad belonged to you. Wonderful......

• Stayed April 2013
Luton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

We came here after our trek in the Atlas Mountains purely to rest for four nights. Riad Kniza, a beautiful, traditional riad with the bonus of a small indoor swimming pool, was an excellent choice. What made our stay so very memorable, however, was its superb staff. While always managing to remain unobtrusive, they seemed to have a sixth sense about everything that we would need, so often inexplicably offering us service before we were even able to request it. Their kindness and attention to detail merit the fullest commendation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Kniza? Share your experiences!