“I wouldn't have wanted to stay anywhere else” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Kniza

Save Saved
You added Riad Kniza to your Saves list
Riad Kniza
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   34 Derb l'Hotel | Bab Doukkala, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Special Offer
1 FREE Night
Ranked #8 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“I wouldn't have wanted to stay anywhere else”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I took the advice of other reviewers and chose to stay at Riad Kniza. This was my first visit to Marrakech so I wanted to stay somewhere that was a little more cultural and not one of the international chain hotels. I must say, my Marrakech experience wouldn't have been the same without Riad Kniza. I travel a lot for work so I often stay in hotels and Riad Kniza is the best accommodation experience I have ever had. Aside from being a stunningly beautiful riad, filled with interesting artefacts, what made my time so special was the caring service. Nothing was ever a problem, the team were always one step ahead of me and because the riad only has a small number of rooms, the service is attentive in every detail but you never feel like someone is there watching you. I don't know how they do it! Amazing! I found paradise! They organised everything, hotel transfers, tours, I even had an hour to spare between check-out and the driver pick up to take me to the airport. Within 10 minutes a masseur was called in and I had a massage while I waited. I just wanted to say thank you to Samira and the team at Riad Kniza for an exceptional experience I will remember for years to come.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

1,000 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Northern NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at this Riad during the last night of our two week vacation in Morocco. We certainly saved the best for last! From the initial emails, to our check-in, to our meals and check-out the staff at this place know the meaning of "taking pride in one's work". The riad is very well maintained, the decor is impeccable, the staff is friendly and attentive, I could go on and on. I am a seasoned traveler, having traveled internationally since the age of 1 :) I have never been so struck with awe at the attentiveness of a hotel staff. Since the place was a little hard to find, Samira (one of the front desk managers) sent someone out to the main street to guide us home. They carried our luggage for us to the riad. As soon as we got there, we were invited to sit down in an air conditioned room and offered water and tea with cookies. We got a free room upgrade upon arrival I'm guessing because it was low season. The room was magnificent and beautifully decorated. Samira gave us a map, pointed out places of interest and told us to call if we needed anything. When I asked about getting Henna done she offered to set up a private session for me on the terrace - she got a woman who had been doing Henna for 30 years. It was wonderful. They also gave us a discounted price on dinner for that night. When we came back from walking around Marrakech, we went to use the swimming pool which I might say could benefit from being temperature controlled. Towels were laid out for us and we have plenty of reading material to choose from if we so desired. The owner himself offered us some tea while we relaxed by the pool. I then went to get my henna done on the terrace and more tea was offered. Later that evening we had a private dinner on the rooftop where Mustafa was just about the best waiter I have ever had. To be fair, I must say that at a little under $400/night you would expect a lot. This price included our room and one dinner and is more than I've ever paid for a room in my life but it was our one splurge on the vacation.

From beginning to end our experience at this riad was 5 stars. I'd go again in a hearbeat but this time I'd stay a week.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Beautiful property renovated in local style with a real air of luxury - an unexpected island of calm in the general chaos of the medina. Small enough to create a personal atmosphere, without feeling claustrophobic. Comfortable and spacious room kept immaculately clean and (thankfully) equipped with efficient aircon. Pool in the central courtyard provides a focal point and the chance to cool off after battling through the heat, careering mopeds and live chicken sellers outside. Huge delicious breakfasts served on demand. Unrivalled service - Samira and her team are constantly on hand to deal with every need (a small example: I broke my finger on a trip to the Atlas mountains, and the Riad staff took it in turns to stay with me while I was patched up in the hospital). In short, everything a boutique hotel should be. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We loved everything about this riad. We stayed for 7 nights with two teenagers in august. The riad is an oasis of cool and calm in a very exciting (and at times stressful!) city. It was lovely to return from getting lost in the souks, again, hot and tired, to be greeted with similes, enquiries about our day and offers of drinks. Bottled water, freshly squeezed orange or soft drinks (if they didn't have what we wanted, they would run out the the shop to get them) would be delivered in minutes. Our two rooms were beautiful, we had no problems with noise from other rooms or guests and, yes we did hear the call to prayer sometimes, but that is part of the experience of being in morocco. Beds and pillows very comfortable, air conditioning very effective - it was very hot - and bathrooms had everything we could want. We loved the local style breakfasts, which we usually had on the roof terrace.

We took one excursion arranged by the riad, a day to the atlas mountains and cascades, which was great fun. A rather strenuous walk/climb of about 30 mins to get up to the waterfall, but felt totally safe with our 'mountain guide' - 100Dh extra and essential. Afterwards we had lunch at a table set IN the shallow river which was wonderful after the hot walk. An amazing day and one we would recommend.

The riad is in a bustling part of town, and we did have a bit of culture shock when we arrived - especially over the butcher's stalls - but we always felt safe. We also did get really lost in the souks a couple of times, and had to get someone to lead us out again, which they did happily for about 20Dh! We found the town exciting, stressful, colourful, friendly and vibrant - but do be careful which of the barbecue stalls you eat from in the main square! Highly recommend a meal or at least a drink from the roof top terraces at night overlooking Jemaa el Fna square, the views are amazing!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Daughter, granddaughter and I were delighted with every aspect of our Riad Kniza six night stay in June. From the moment we arrived we found the finest, charming staff and beautiful luxury surroundings. This family owned haven reflects the highest standard of service, attention to detail, and every need and request is met.
We stayed in the Johara and Loubana suites and our last night in the splendid Royal suite. Thank you Riad Kniza for a memorable stay as well as all the generous extras offered at no cost including dinner, tours , hamman and massage treatments.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights in July 2012. The Riad itself is very beautiful but the area surrounding it is true Marrakech. It is just off a local market which you have no choice but to walk through to get to the Riad. The locals do not bother you whatsoever although I must admit I felt extremely uncomfortable walking through this area especially at night. Be careful of the mopeds coming at you on both sides and also from behind I constantly felt like I was dicing with death! As you walk further the streets widen out and you can relax more. So back to the accommodation. We had the room overlooking the pool and the decor was beautiful very ornate and intricate. Many reviews say this place is immaculate but I have stayed in cleaner places. There were hairs in the bath the throws and pillows on the bed and cushions on the lounge were a little grubby. The rug had definitely seen better days. Marrakech broke its own heat record while we were there 49.6 degrees Celsius (120.4F) and as you can imagine it was extremely uncomfortable.The air con unit is situated im a recess above the door and didn't do much as it seemed just to seep right out of the gaps between the door and the wall! I'm not an engineer but think it could have been better placed so you could actually get benefit from it. The bed itself was comfy and pillows just right. There was plenty of space in the room and fresh fruit and water provided for when we arrived. Breakfast is ok
The staff are extremely courteous and helpful bordering on servants really, bowing their heads and not looking you in the eye which I found a bit uncomfortable. The 2 members of staff on the reception desk were very good and informative,couldn't fault them at all.
Riad Kniza is about a 15 minute walk to Jemaa el fna. There's not much in between the Riad and the market so you're stuck for food etc unless you can afford the €45 pp meal in the hotel.

If you want to experience true Marrakech then this is right in the heart of it all and im sure many people will love it,unfortunately I was out of my comfort zone and couldnt really enjoy my holiday here maybe I'm just being fussy ......
We moved on to Essaouira after here and found it to be much more suited to our needs/likes, horses for courses!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

My lovely husband treated me for my birthday to four nights away in Marrakech, and as we wanted to experience the old world city, we felt it was important to stay in a Moroccan owned and managed Riad in the old city of the Medina. Where do you begin when there are hundreds of recommended Riads to choose from. All our researches on the internet took us to Riad Kniza... and now we know why.

Words fail me for it's luxury, charm, food, gracious and courteous service and warm hospitality. No request is too much trouble and no question about the city, tours, local customs etc... is a bother.

We only had the option of a ground floor room due to availability and although we would have preferred an upstairs room, our accommodation was sumptuous, spotless and beautiful.

We ate dinner in the riad twice. The menu is limited but this is because the riad caters for the ultimate in flavours of their local cuisine. Melt in the mouth lamb beautifully blended with their spices as well as plentiful equally tasty side dishes. Our second meal there was after we had a cooking lesson with their chef in the riad Kitchen and learned how to prepare Chicken tagine with preserved lemons.

We also ate dinner twice in the Djemaa el Fna which can be very hit or miss, so we recommend you walk through the stalls first before choosing where to eat. Our first meal there was very pleasant and inexpensive.

We had breakfast on the roof top of the Riad Kniza as it was pleasantly warm in the mornings and we enjoyed this Moroccan experience each day.

We would love to return to Marrackech one day and will not look further than Riad Kniza. Apart from its beauty and service, it is located near to the city gates and only a 10 minute walk to the souks and 20 minutes to the Djemaa el Fna square. You will be amazed at how you enter the tranquility and sublime beauty of Riad Kniza from a narrow alley just meters from the noise of the bustling street with its markets and vendors.

A family owned business which prides itself on the ultimate in first class service and hospitality. Hundreds of very similar reviews on Tripadvisor can't all be wrong. Thank You Riad Kniza.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor near reception are more prone to noise but non the less gorgeous. If you...