“An Oasis” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Farnatchi

Save Saved
You added Riad Farnatchi to your Saves list
Riad Farnatchi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Derb el Farnatchi, Rue Souk el Fassis | Qua'at Ben Ahid, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #31 of 460 Hotels in Marrakech
“An Oasis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Behind a beautiful wood door after being led along some busy streets and wonderful little alleys lies the most peaceful and beautiful place to call home for a couple of nights. The service was wonderful from the minute we stepped from our taxi to the second we got back in it. Our two rooms were amazing, we argued over who got which one as they were both unique yet equally wonderful. Our breakfast and dinner were as good as any other meals we had through out Morocco. My favourite moment was sitting at sunset on the roof top terrace of one of our rooms and listening to the call to prayers resonate across the city, it was a very memorable experience. We will be returning without a doubt.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

If you're coming to Marrakech, you must, must, must stay at Riad Farnatchi! I came with a group of friends for 4 nights to celebrate a birthday - James and his team made for one of the most amazingly memorable trips I've had. And I've had the luxury of going on some pretty incredible trips! The service and overall atmosphere are flawless - 16 of us arrived and were greeted by friendly staff with refreshing towels and mint tea all around. We were then taken to each room so we could see where we were staying as well as what each room looked like. They were ALL stunning. I stayed in room 9...wish I could have taken the bathtub and furnishings back home with me! We had an amazing lunch on the roof terrace organised with no prior notice, cocktail hour with snacks that made you almost want to skip dinner they were so good, and a pool that completed the setting beautifully. Oh - and they also organised an amazing party complete with dancers, drummers, fantastic food and drink, arranged for a hike in the atlas mountains, took us through the souks including a mad last minute dash pre-flight to find the perfect jewelry store and were always there with refreshing towels when we arrived back at the oasis of the Riad. I could go on for pages - the hammam is great, the decorations beautiful, and there's even wifi for everyone. What more could a person ask for? Other than more time to spend at Riad Farnatchi, not much!

Weston, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

If in Marrakech don't miss out by not staying at Farnatchi! James,who has taken over the Riad from his well respected hotelier father, is quite knowledgable as well as charming. The rooms are decorated in a tasteful Moroccan style.There is no doubt you will covet items you see and James will be there to help you obtain your desires.He even treked out w/us on a rug shopping adventure.The food is up to Euro standards but with true Moroccan tastes.I say this as a well traveled foodie! I don't recall ever seeing a single staff member without a smile! Even after carrying breakfast up to the bucolic rooftop each morning. You know your in the right place when the staff speaks highly of the owner.YES,we ask. The Hammam is beautiful.The pool is lovely. My ONLY complaint would be that they pour light on the Black Label, inside joke. Just ask for a double and remember you are in a Muslim country:) I will say,the cocktail hour hors d'oeuvres were quite welcome and tasty.All in all, I would be thrilled to return again and again.

Room Tip: Ask for the room w/the balcony over the pool.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I have never before written a review on this or any other website, but my experience at Riad Farnatchi made me want to. I had a heavy week of paperwork ahead and thought the task would be lighter under brighter skies than England had to offer. I was lucky that a telephone call to the Riad late on Sunday evening found a room available and I flew out early the next day for 5 nights. I was met by a driver and taken to this wonderful hideaway in Medina, the old part of Marrakech. A refreshing mint tea was followed by a tour around the Riad and an introduction to my delightful room (suite 9) which consisted of salon with desk, large bedroom, wardrobe/ dressing area, bathroom with enormous bath and walk in shower plus a private little courtyard open to the sky - with a divan to lie on and gaze at the stars at night. The Wi-fi functioned perfectly throughout my stay and was fast enough for all of my needs including Skype. All of the staff I met were genuinely friendly, humorous and without being either fussy or stuffy, could not do enough to make my stay exactly as I wanted it to be. As one example only, on my last day I needed to get some local currency from a cash point machine and get back to the Riad in a hurry, so the front of house manager sent me off with the Riad's doorman on a rapid march through the bedlam of souks and alleyways to the cashpoint and back. Exactly what I needed at that moment in time and I was very grateful for their help. And that is the big point of this article really, we all want something a little different from our holiday, we do not have the same wants and desires and Riad Farnatchi is small enough and personal enough and frankly good enough to deliver those slightly different experiences that we all want but which bigger hotels simply cannot deliver with the same alacrity or at all. James Wix, the owner, is to my mind the perfect hotelier; unobtrusive yet there when you want him to be, disarmingly honest in conversation and imperious in his local knowledge. He together, with his father has produced some excellent written reviews of local restaurants, wines and customs for guests. I usually stay in 5 star hotels but over the years have become tired of the sterility of most of them. My stay at Riad Farnatchi has left me wondering why on earth I have not before sought out the personal service that places like this delightful Riad can offer. I felt ultimately sad to leave the Riad, something I had never felt before when leaving any hotel, no matter how grand. I enjoyed my stay thoroughly, enjoyed meeting my fellow guests who were both interesting and charming, enjoyed meeting the staff whom I grew fond of, miss the wonderful breakfasts already. The bold assertion on the Riad's website that this is the perfect venue for a party is correct. It is also an antidote for the pan European depression that the media force us to endure daily. I will be returning in March for a birthday party if they will have me, but before that, I will return with my children to experience the madness of Marrakech and for my daughter to learn some Arabic and my son to improve his French. When I asked whether the Riad could provide French and Arabic tutors and guides for them, the answer was "But of course?" as if the question was superfluous. Cannot wait to return. Like other reviewers, I am disappointed that the tripadvisor's algorithms have this Riad at about #15. Something is seriously wrong. It should be #1.

Room Tip: Suite 9 is large, quiet and convenient on the ground floor, has a desk and good wifi reception.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We come to Marrakech 4-5 times a year and always try to stay at Farnatchi. Over the years it has achieved the unimaginable - to actually get better. I didn't think perfection could better itself bu Riad Farnatchi has achieved it! From the seamless service to the exceptional suites, this is truly where heaven and earth meet. Book as soon as possible to ensure you can stay at this jewel in the crown of Marrakech! Words don't do it justice!

Room Tip: Every room is so perfect. Ask the management as they will suggest the one best suited to you!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Beautiful property in the Medina (old town part of Marrakech) managed by James and his excellent staff. 9 rooms - each uniquely decorated. The combination of excellent, personalized service and small hotel makes it ideal for family gatherings and private parties.

There is a small cold water pool and one table poolside. The terrace also has tables and there are two small dining rooms on either side of the pool. All perfect for family parties / gathering of a group of friends / couples who all know each other. The place is small - so if you are going as a couple then it is important that you get along with the others in the Riad.

There is also a hammam and a masseur on the premises - an excellent bonus - the masseur Ahmad is world class!

There is chef on the premises who is decent. Breakfast spread is good - and can be served anywhere - but the same everyday - variety would be great - especially for guests staying for a few nights.

James has a tie up with guides, restaurants, drivers etc. such that he and his staff can literally take care of every request. Service is a real differentiator.

Room Tip: Each room is uniquely decorated with unique features - so do look at all of them and pick what works...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

What a lovely place. Tucked away in the medina, being close enough to the action of the souks yet able to escape to this quiet and tranquil riad was a joy! I have never stayed anywhere where the standard of room is so high not to mention beautiful, felt so spoilt the entire time. The food is also delicious with wonderful views over the Medina from the roof top dining area, which is also a great place to lay out in the sun. The facilites of the riad are great from the cool towel handed to you as soon as you step in from the street, to the riad's spa, to taking a dip, it really offers everything we wanted in a holiday. The riad staff were also lovely and anything we needed help with they were happy to sort which really took the stress out of finding the best spots to eat and site see, all arranged and booked by the riad which was great.
Cannot recommend enough, would love to get a group of friends to book out all 9 suites, but failing that will definitely be back with family or friends.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Farnatchi? Share your experiences!