“Feeling like at a luxury friends' home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Farnatchi

You added Riad Farnatchi to your Saves list
Riad Farnatchi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Derb el Farnatchi, Rue Souk el Fassis | Qua'at Ben Ahid, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #32 of 480 Hotels in Marrakech
Geneva, Switzerland
“Feeling like at a luxury friends' home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

We just left Riad Farnatchi and we already miss the magical atmosphere, the warm and impeccable service, the smile of everyone who works there, the beauty of the rooms and the attention to very nice and unique handycraft works that you will find here and there in the Riad. The Riad is an oasi of peace in the crazy Medina. We loved the unique idea of the owner to make it as it was an home and not an hotel. And this is what makes it so special. From the moment you enter in the riad up to the moment in wich you leave it you feel you have been there since long time, that you have been knowing the owners and the personell since long time and you are looking forward to being back. There are no signs outside, you will ring the bell to get into (as an house), the riad is not open to others tourists, the owners (we met both James and his father) are such a perfect and so KIND hosts with whom you really enjoy talking about your plans for the day.
When we left this morning ,we had a feeling to spent our holidays at a friend house :) with the owner and the girl who assisted us during the full 4 days waving goodbye.
No more to add to what the others already wrote before us. Last thing would be to really trust their tips on restaurants, shops..we loved the places they recommended to us!

My daughter Azzurra (3 years old) has just asked me if tomorrow we will go back to Marrakech..well maybe not tomorrow... but for sure in the near future.
A big THANK you for this magic long w-end.
Valeria, Paolo and Azzurra

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

Having thoroughly enjoyed my last stay I rebooked a return visit with my parents. On arrival we discovered my parents had been upgraded to the top suite (number 9) and I was in an equally beautiful suite nearby. All the staff remembered me from my last visit with welcoming smiles and James Wix who has now taken over from his father was also there to greet us.

Though technically off season, the sun was shining and complimented by blue skies. Having sung the Riad’s praises to my parents their expectations were extremely high and they were not disappointed on any level.

My father arrived in some pain with a sporting shoulder injury (which had been giving him grief for the last week) and after 2 sessions with Ahmed (the masseur) and a hearty Moroccan dinner he woke up totally pain free – incredible.

We also ventured to Imlil that weekend with a fantastic guide that James arranged, who really brought the surroundings to life. The scenery was stunning with last night’s snow fall still on the tree branches and we even got invited into one of the local houses for some mint tea and delicious home grown olive oil, bread and freshly baked pastries – very spoiling. We took a different route back to Marrakech – off road, without another tourist in sight, through remote villages complete with dramatic views and the skilful driver made it a very comfortable and interesting journey. I think this is something that Riad Farnatchi have developed and is exclusive to them.

Then back to the Riad for some more pampering and wallowing in their oversized bath tubs before evening canapés were brought to our rooms, followed by cocktails in the courtyard and another fantastic meal in that ornate and unique dining room.

All in all another wonderful stay at Riad Farnatchi and I hope it will not be too long before I book in for another visit.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

An idyllic peaceful haven in the heart of the craziness of Marrakesh. Everything from the impeccable staff to the gorgeous food and drinks was first class. Farnatchi is beautifully decorated and so much attention is given to detail – a maid filled our bath with flower petals after finding it was our Honeymoon. You must have a massage whilst your there – unbelievable! We only had three nights sadly but we were so rested it felt like we’d been away for much longer. So looking forward to going back soon.

Room Tip: They are all fantastic (Being nosey I got a maid to take me to see a slection!)
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

Having stayed at a couple of other riads in the medina I was immediately impressed by the slick service. The staff all spoke excellent English, were speedy with any requests you may have, and very charming. Definitely make sure you have at least one dinner in the Riad as the women Berber chefs can cook up some serious home-cooked feasts. Try the Tangia - a local specialty slow-cooked in the nearby farnatchi (communal oven) for five hours and arrives as a kind of Moroccan hot pot.

Design is shabby chic but without the shabby. Everything from the furniture to the furnishings has been artfully placed and on closer inspection its obvious that the detailing has been lovingly created with high quality materials rather than jumbled together at some cheap workshop.

At night the place comes into its own with the smell of fires from the rooms and lanterns giving a gentle glow to the courtyard. The sound of the water trickling over the infinity edged pool is incredibly calming and worth sitting in one of the side covered areas soaking up the pure calm of the place knowing that you’re just footsteps away from the hubbub that is the medina – it is in one of the oldest parts and so excellently placed for all the action of the souk.

You may think you can find a cheaper riad but if you want somewhere that is impeccably run with beautifully finished interiors then you’ll be hard pushed to find anything that even remotely matches this little hideaway. The perfect long weekend and I will be making plans to book myself on the next eayJet flight out there!

Room Tip: My suite had a private terrace which got the morning sun (suite 6).
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

A truly magical place in the heart of Marrakesh. I will keep it simple and will just say that absolutely EVERYTHING was perfect. Location, Food, Massage (the best!), Style, Atmosphere and most importantly the Staff and Hotel Manager of Riad Farnatchi will make your stay unforgetable and magical. 10 out 10.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

On a long weekend visit at the end of January, we found Riad Farnatchi to be a magical, peaceful and comfortable hideaway in chaotically fascinating Marrakech. Its location is excellent, very close to the architecturally magnificent Medersa Ben Youssef and an entrance to the Souks.

The service was attentive while remaining both discreet and friendly - it would have shamed many a 5-star hotel. Staff appeared like genies from lamps – your every wish their command. From serving mint tea on the roof terrace with the Atlas Mountains as the backdrop, to lighting a roaring log fire in your suite, nothing seemed to be too much trouble.

Our stay was all too brief but James Wix and his team provided an experience that we wouldn’t have missed. Riad Farnatchi will definitely be our first choice when we return to Marrakech.

Room Tip: Photos of all the suites are on the Riad's website. Ours, number 3, was very luxurious and had...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

This is the most wonderful riad in Marrekech, From the location, decor, luxury, food, rooms......in fact, I cannot think of a single thing I would change. The service is perfect. Everything is possible. The staff is warm - never in your face, but always there. That is a testament to the manager who clearly loves the riad and what he does to make people feel right at home in all the magic and madness that is Marrakech.

In addition to the riad itself, on this trip I celebrated a milestone birthday and the staff arranged all outside activities for my friends and family. I had the good fortune to see each of the beautiful 9 rooms in the riad because we rented the entire riad for the weekend, Each room is unique. Each one is special. And all are fabulous!

The experienceI culminated with a fully catered party (complete with musicians, dancers, etc.) in one of the riad's spectacular courtyards - and I just cannot wipe the smile off of my face! The warm memories will be with me forever.

This is the place. Go.

Room Tip: All rooms are great, and I saw them all! Descriptions and photos on their website are accurate.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Farnatchi? Share your experiences!