“Luxury riad in heart of medina ” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Sultana Marrakech

Save Saved
You added La Sultana Marrakech to your Saves list
La Sultana Marrakech
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   403 rue de la kasbah | Kasbah - Medina, Marrakech 40 000, Morocco   |
Ranked #30 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Kent
“Luxury riad in heart of medina ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We have only been here two days but this place is magical. The 15 yr old and 12 yr old would have preferred a bland American hotel but for us adults this is something quite different and special . We came with Virgin hip hotels and stayed in the Lion apartment. Mint tea and pastries and cold towels on arrival . Complimentary tagine and bottle of champagne in our room along with another tray of pastries. We ate in the rooftop restaurant on our first night and the service and food were impeccable. We had the tasting menu for approx £46 each and it was London dining standard which was a wonderful surprise. Tonight we are trying the international tasting menu and it is just as good. The local wine well priced and actually much better than anticipated. The levels of service at this hotel are excellent and you feel they really do care and know your name( benefit of a riad as opposed to large hotel) the apartment was very unique and we had a wonderful marble jacuzzi in our room. My only minor complaint would be re the water pressure in the shower but this is a small point and something that many hotels suffer around the world. The pool was a welcome relief and felt chilled. Staff here really care especially the manager and the concierge. I would come back here again minus unappreciative children as this road is very well located. Do not miss the rooftop dining experience. Yet to try the spa but may add to my review later.

Stayed July 2014

609 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

When I think of Morocco, I think of tale of adventures like Arabian Nights, Aladdin and his Lamp, Ali Baba and the 40 thieves. These stories center on a hero and his adventures in the markets of Marrakech saving the damsel in distress or searching for hidden treasure. I found such a treasure in the heart the medina of Marrakech in La Sultana, a grand dame of Marrakech’s riads.

My adventure began with my entrance into the Medina, which is a UNESCO World Heritage site with a thousand years of history and an amazing true open-air. It is a bustling market even at night, as I passed through the winding streets of vendors selling their wares. A sense of adventure quickly sets in as I enter the long corridor with Moroccan lamps along the carpeted walkway leading to La Sultana Marrakech. It is a grand and fitting entrance.
The doorman gives me a friendly greeting, welcoming me to La Sultana. It is a bit late when I arrive, but the staff has been waiting and provides me with attentive and personalized service making me feel welcomed.

La Sultana is actually comprised of five connecting buildings and has 28 unique and special accommodations from rooms to grand suites to accommodate a family. The five buildings are riads which are traditional Moroccan houses with a central patio and all the windows overlooking the interior rather than the outdoors as in European houses.

The tile, wood, and metal work in each building are nothing less than functional pieces of art with every inch of this property being a celebration of Moroccan craftsmanship. Each of the five buildings is different, so there is a new level of amazement as you explore and enter each building and room.

The buildings are designed with Moorish or Andalusian architectural influences with high vaulted ceilings. The spaces are decorated with precious woods, marble and copper and littered with paintings and objets d’arts.

I was in the Pelican suite on the first floor, which opened into a beautiful courtyard. I felt that I was staying in someone’s home and not a hotel. Inside my room was absolutely remarkable. It was blue with vaulted ceiling and Moroccan details. What I love about Morocco is the artistic craftsmanship and detail that you find here is like nowhere else in the world. The bed was on an elevated platform and below there was a comfortable sitting area around a fireplace and mantel. The bathroom was elaborate with an artesian shower and deep sunken bath.

Every corner was tastefully decorated with design surprises such as the stained glass window that opened into the courtyard. All of the modern conveniences of a five star hotel were there from the flat screen TV, complimentary high speed internet, and complimentary soft drinks. After my long trip I was pleased to be greeted with the snack tray and a selection of fruits.

My favorite feature at the property was the rooftop terrace which connects the five roofs of the building into a massive outdoor space with spectacular views of the snow capped Atlas Mountains, the vibrant markets below as well as the nearby Royal Palace, Koutoubia Mosque and other landmarks. There were large palms and orange trees, an outdoor bar and restaurant, and trellised patios with places to sit or sunbathe.

Indoors, there is a beautiful pool in a garden of palm trees, bougainvillea bushes, and large art pieces surrounded by red brick walls and an arched walkway. It is the place for breakfast where a friendly and attentive staff brings you fresh croissants, fruits and juices to start your day. The dining experience is as perfect as the lodging and combines Moroccan and Mediterranean cuisine in are fined ambience. The restaurant of La Sultana offers a traditional Moroccan cuisine to reflect the flavors of the season with the Tasting Menu, the Traditional Lamb Couscous with Seven Vegetables. Dinner is served either in the cozy atmosphere of the patio in the winter or on the rooftop overlooking the vibrant city and the Atlas mountains in the summer. A favorite experience for guests is that La Sultana delivers the secrets of popular Moroccan cuisine with daily cooking classes.

The spa at La Sultana evokes the sensuous world of the harem with ancient doors opening onto an interior of crimson marble, illuminated by wrought-iron lanterns, with a vaulted ceiling suspended on pillars rising up from a turquoise pool. The Sultana Spa offers two superb hammams, a Jacuzzi, sauna, beauty centre, hairdresser, balneotherapy baths, massage cabins in the open air. It is in the heart of the Sultana, the hammam serves as a temple of body relaxation and spirit massage.

My adventure from this sanctuary called La Sultana lead me to explore the Medina just beyond the entrance. In the souk you’ll find a fascinating array of handicrafts from rugs and spices to hammered copper and brass goods and colorful fabrics. You can also take a horse drawn carriage to take in the sights.

La Sultana is in the district Quarter of the Imperial Kasbah which was a citadel and has been continuously occupied by the Sultans of Morocco since the twelfth century. Consequently this area focuses within the vicinity of the splendid palaces and magnificent monuments built by the Sultans. The Bab Agnaou is the most beautiful and impressive of the gates in the entire city ramparts; it was constructed in the twelfth century using local stone as the ceremonial entrance of the Sultans into the Kasbah. The gardens and pavilions of the Royal Palace dominate the view to the East from roof terraces.

After some touring and exploring I return back to my temporary sanctuary, La Sultana, for a few more days of rest and rejuvenation. La Sultana is a treasure of the Medina, a remarkable and special hotel that will provide you with a not-to-be-missed experience in an exciting location.

Room Tip: Make sure you take advantage of the spa and restaurant there. After that, go on an adventure beyond...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Staying at La Sultana was an experience of a lifetime. I felt like a Marrakech princess walking down their intricately textured, decorated and lighted hallways. I stayed in the camel suite, and I can honestly say I've never stayed in a hotel room quite like this before. The bathroom was fit for a king, beautiful, intricate doors, a bathtub with beautiful pillars surrounding it (it was a little small to fit 2), but best of all was the service. Upon checking in, we were warmly and graciously welcomed. It was the perfect place to end my trip.

Stayed July 2014
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

After taking a little magazine in a store in the new town of Marrakech - Madame a Marrakech - we have read a nice review and decided to have a dinner on the rooftop. The way to the Riad was quite an adventure, since it was Ramadan and it was after eight o'clock. The Riad is right behind the mosque so there was quite some crowd in rue de Kasbah.
There was a strong wind this evening, the staff inmediately gave us a nice fleece blanket. The dinner was sublime, we started off with an amuse bouche and for starters the best pastilla I ever had. After I had a stuffed young hen which not even just looked good, it tasted fantastic!

Room Tip: You might get a bit bored by the local musician
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Basel, Basel-Stadt, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We thank al the stuff at la sultana for the great weekend escape and the great experience at la sultana. It was a great weekend and we will sone come back. Everything was great and all the people in La sultana make our stay to a great experience

Room Tip: try it and you will get also a great experience Sabine and Rolf
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I booked the Beldi experience package for me and my boyfriend and it was amazing.
The package includes the Hammam ritual, a body massage and a facial treatment. My skin was soooo soft after the treatment! It was a good experience.
I recommend this Spa.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

My wife and I loved our stay at this fantastic riad which gives you quality 5 star service of any international chain in an authentic moroccan style! The staff make you feel like royalty, extremely accomodating and service impeccable! Could not recommend more! Also great location for all the tourist attractions and new town within a short taxi ride.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to La Sultana Marrakech? Share your experiences!