“A Stunning Hotel with exceptional service..” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Sultana Marrakech

You added La Sultana Marrakech to your Saves list
La Sultana Marrakech
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   403 rue de la kasbah | Kasbah - Medina, Marrakech 40 000, Morocco   |
Ranked #30 of 464 Hotels in Marrakech
Manchester
“A Stunning Hotel with exceptional service..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

Just returned home after 4 days at this Hotel and from the moment we stepped foot inside to the moment we said goodbye we loved it. This hotel is made up of 4/5 Raids that have been decorated to the highest standard. Each Raid has a slightly different feel but all to a high standard. When you walk into the main reception area from the chaos on the street its like an oasis of beauty. We took the transfer from the airport, which I recommend as the hotel is not easy to find, its about 150 dhm more than a local taxis but worth it. When we arrived we were seated in a stunning room and given fresh mint team and local pastries while the front desk checked us in. We arrived at 10am and the room was not officially ready until 3pm, however after some drinks on the roof terrace, we were shown to our room at 11:45. The hotel had upgraded is to a suite deluxe with balcony overlooking the pool, the Giraffe room. A lovely room, everything you need and the balcony was great. We ate in the roof terrace most nights as the food and service was excellent. The sweets are the best, the chef specialism is great puddings. The service was excellent at all meal times, breakfast was simple but enough choice and the staff would more or less make anything for you. They often referred to the hotel as a home and guest should treat it that way, We had a complementary Hammam scrub in the SPA as we are SLH.com members, We loved it and regretted not going for more treatments as its was reasonably priced.

Overall this was a great break, a stunning hotel, and the service was first class. The management were always around helping and took a real interest to ensure the guests felt at home.

We plan to go back and maybe try the other hotel in the group.

Try the tasting menu and the Moroccan pancakes for breakfast. The rooftop plunge is great to cool off in and let me know if you ever see anyone in the gym, we did not... The free non-alcohol in the room is a nice touch as is the internet access and ipod dock.

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed good...upgrade if you want a balcony.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Polish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

This hotel is just superb. Very traditional with Moorish and Moroccan furnishings. The bathroom was large and well appointed in the finest marble. The breakfast was good with traditional moroccan mint tea. We ate traditional moroccan food in the evening which was excellent.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Grosse Pointe Far
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

My sixteen year old son and I stayed at La Sultana last December for a week and found it to be a beautiful and fascinating hotel, although a bit different than what we expected. It was quite difficult to get to, by car and by foot, because the entire area in front of the hotel had been reduced to impassible rubble by some kind of road construction. We had rented a car and literally spent hours just trying to find the place, then weren't able to get the car (and our luggage) anywhere near the hotel itself - THEN were told that we had better move our car or we would be getting a very expensive ticket. Ugh. Hardly the reception one expects at "The Small Luxury Hotels of World".

Each of the room is set up around a central square, "medina" style. I had booked a large room (not the cheapest room, not the most expensive as I recall). Well, when they put us in our room, it had shuttered windows that opened up onto the pool/restaurant area and was about 10 feet by 7 feet. People in the pool/restaurant smoke quite a bit, so there was constant smoke coming in the room through the shutters - not to mention that the room was dark (because it was either smoky and light and no privacy or dark and a bit smoky).
So, it was not a great situation.

By the second night they moved our room, but by then, I really felt like the whole trip was tainted by my complaining about this and that. And you know, the hotel is quite expensive, it should have just been great from the beginning.

There are so many awesome places in Marrakech, I think I stay somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second or third floor, away from the pool area.
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Patras, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Me and my husbannd travelled in August 2011 to Marrakech and we stayed for 4 nights at "La Sultana". Even outside is a lot of noise, as the hotel is into the Medina (old town of Marrakech), inside there is quiet and peacefully, a true oasis. The highlight is the swimming pool and the architecture of the whole place, as there have been used these colourful morrocan tiles everywhere and the hotel consists of 4 riads. We stayed at the "Morrocan style" riad and our room had an astonishing bathroom. The hotel also had spa (which we didn't use) and restaurant (which we only ate one evening and it was so and so). The breakfast is very good and we were served from a menu. Service is excellent. They cleaned our room twice a day!!! We've chosen it because we wanted good service and something traditional of Morroco.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Poperinge, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

Most beautiful hotel of Marrakech. Authenticity of a very high level - better than Mammounia. Rooms excellent, spa excellent.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

The beauty of the intimate riads in Morocco is that you so often feel like you are staying in someone's home rather than a faceless hotel. I have had the good fortune to stay in several riads in Morocco, and I do have an absolute favourite, but I still like to try other riads for a few nights before returning to my No1. On this trip I decided to start my trip with a stay at La Sultana as many people rate it the best riad in Marrakech - so, I had very high expectations. Upon making my reservation I noted a small detail - La Sultana
charge to collect you at the airport - no other riad has ever done so. Plus, La
Sultana is possibly the most expensive riad there is and take a 50% deposit up front.

Anyway, I went ahead with my booking - was collected at the airport - and without doubt upon arrival at the riad, and being shown around, it is a beautiful riad full of artisnal
handiwork (though I have stayed at riads more immaginativley and creatively decorated which I have been featured in books or magazines such as World of Interiors). But for me, there the experience ended. My suite certainly lacked any wow-factor and verged on the very ordinary and uninspiring.

The riad has a very nice enclosed pool area, but even in low season and with low occupancy there can easily be a race to get a sun lounger and it can feel claustrophobic - I absolutely hate to think what it would be like in high season (though in fairness that must be the same with most of the riads). Of course there are plenty of other places to sit, especially on the roof, but everyone wants to be by the pool. I have read some reviews which mention the wonderful roof top pool - let's tell the truth, it is the size of a large bathtub, but longer. It's unlikely you would want to share it with a stranger.
Sadly our relaxation by the pool - every day - was marred by one man who seemed to think it perfectly acceptable to have his music playing on his ipad and ruined the peace and tranquility. Further, due to the influx of rich Russians who are now travelling to all the hot spots, but have yet to learn any social etiquette, grace or respectful manners when in the company of others, they seem to think it acceptable to shout the whole day across the pool or courtyards to each other. Riads are supposed to be a place of tranquility NOT a theme park!

Over all I felt like La sultana was more like a hotel than an intimate riad. There were certainly none of the typical little luxuries of many other riads such as laying on a free afternoon tea (not even free Morrocan mint tea which you get just about everywhre) or a free laundry service. Plus housekeeping were very good at taking things away, but not replacing them. Certainly breakfast was an absolute shambles every morning - can we have napkins? butter? cutlery? preserves? And not one decent coffee or tea during our whole stay depite repeatedly asking for very hot water - plus, at this riad's prices I expect some good loose leaf tea in a pot, not an inferior brand tea bag on a saucer with a luke warm pot of water. So the bottom line is that I still have my No1 riad, and I wouldn't stay at La Sultana again, and I definitely wouldn't recommend it to any friends. The riad itself is beautiful (as is the spa) but the rest is just perfunctory and offers a very hit-or-miss service. But, credit where it's due, Mayumi and Khalib on reception are excellent, and a couple of the younger staff who serve dinner in the evenings on the terrace have that magic smile and twinkle which is found more in abundance in other riads, but that's about it.

Sadly, I suspect I shall remember La Sultana for the wrong reasons rather than the good ones, and I have to ask, why is this one of the most expensive riads in Marrakech which offers so little to justify the price? I am only left with one question when reading many of the posted reviews of La Sultana that speak of it in glowing terms, and that is, have you stayed at any other riads in Morrocco for comparison? If this had been my first riad stay, and I had nothing to compare with, then I probably would have been impressed. But I am only too aware there are other riads that give you a far better service, and treat you to a far better Morrocan experience and good hospitality, and are cheaper to stay at.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Felixstowe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

Have just arrived back from Morocco, and we treated ourselves to 2 nights in this fantastic hotel, After being pointed up a passage way by our taxi driver we had doubts about where we were staying but as soon as we opened the huge doors we entered another world. Everything about the hotel is 1st class staff,rooms, attention to detail such as little cakes and mint tea on arrival, Whilst not cheap it was worth every penny(Or dirham)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to La Sultana Marrakech? Share your experiences!