“Excellent Budget Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ryad Mogador Hotel

Save Saved
You added Ryad Mogador Hotel to your Saves list
Ryad Mogador Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Angle Blvd 11 Janvier Blvd Prince Moulay Abdellah | Bab Doukkala, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #404 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Royston, United Kingdom
“Excellent Budget Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

I stayed a week. It is in an excellent central location opposite an entrance to the Medina and close to both old and new centres and all tourist attractions. You can easily walk to all of these but a local petite taxi is only 30DM to most places. Some of the rooms face the bus station which is lively 24x7 but the quad glazing cuts out almost all of the noise and the view over the town is fabulous. The quieter rooms at the back have a view over a petrol station. I wouldnt swap.. Previous reviews mention a smell in the corridor, in fact this hotel is part of an open plan complex and there is a suprmarket in the basement. This is handy for supplies but of course the smell of the spices and fish/meat counters do transmute to the hotel corridors. It's not a bad smell but it is a smell. I took the included breakfast and also used the restaurent for dinner. All food was well presented and very edible, some was excellent, nothning bad all week. And no funny tummies.... For a budget price in an excellent location you wont find better.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

470 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

The initial walk into reception and the bar area makes this hotel feel like the 4 - star hotel it is advertising to be. However, there is a lingering smell in the corridors, the reception and in the bedrooms. The rooms are extremely basic and very dated. we asked for a triple room as we were 3 female friends travelling and we were given a large room with 4 single beds and 2 bathrooms, however one of the 'bathrooms' had a toilet and sink and the other had the shower, the room with the toilet and sink had a toilet that kept running water so it felt like there was a tap running all night, but that didnt matter as by 5am you were up as the road noise is so loud, the noise from the cars and horns and the bus depot will be sure to keep you up.

The breakfast was extremely disappointing too, stale fruits and salads, and the only hot food is crepe/pancake type think which also tasted as though it had been pre-cooked and then heated up. On our last day we went down for breakfast at 8am and were told to wait 20 mins for the pancakes! breakfast started at 6am?!

and finally, the staff are rude and uncooperative. We had paid for 3 nights accomodation from the UK, for some reason their reservation company only sent through information for a 2 night stay. So having spent the whole day out in the Souks and sightseeing, we came back to find out that our room had not been cleaned, when we called down to the reception they informed us they were expecting us to check out that day so hadnt cleaned our room. We said we would go down with the paperwork and show them our booking and payment, whilst they cleaned our room.

When we spoke to the people at reception they said, it was not up to them to decide if we had paid or not they would have to wait to hear back from the reservation company. So we said please could you clean our room and give us fresh towels, and could we have a complimentary tea whilst we wait, so it was agreed we would wait, after an hour we went back to our rooms. Firstly, only to find nothing at all was done by way of cleaning our room and refreshing the towels, and secondly, the staff member who served us the tea came to our room to demand payment for the tea we had just drank!?

I immediately sent an email to our agent in the uk to sort out the problem for us but as it was a bank holiday we were unsure about what would be the outcome.

The next day we spoke to the manager and he said he would do everything he could to sort it out, we left our luggage with them for storage and went on a 2 day hike in the Atlas mountains, when we came back to get our luggage, not a single word was spoken about our booking payment ... and more importantly an apology!

I had a response from my agent in the uk to confirm it was sorted out for us, and the correct paperwork was passed over. My belief is that if I had not contacted the agent in the UK the hotel would have charged us twice for the 1 nights accomodation.

I would never recommend this place to anyone, it is a cheap and nasty hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesnt face the bus station
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

This hotel was chosen by my travelling companion and wouldn't have been my first choice (or even on my list if i'm honest). Anyway it wasn't all bad, just not my my style at all.

This is a cheap hotel, and you get what you pay for, but with the wide range of very reasonably priced accommodation in Marrakech I would advise looking around. On the plus side the hotel was mostly clean and the staff were efficient and helpful. There is free wifi in the lobby area and a nice small bar area (no alcohol served). They will also organise the basic excursions for you, but make sure to ask as they are not readily advertised.

On the negative side the rooms are tired and old (to be expected for the price though) and the breakfasts were really.. sparse. Fake orange juice, tomato, cucumber, olives, bread, pain au chocolat, boiled eggs and if you are lucky, someone will make pancakes (only 1 out of 4 mornings we were there though). The pool is small and in the shade, and next to a petrol station. We never saw anyone there.

My biggest issue though was the area - we had to walk across the busy road to get to the entrance to the medina, through an area which was not frequented by many tourists and we walked past a protest near the bus station one day as well. Its about a 20 minute walk to the Jemaa el fna from the entrance to the medina, again along a route not heavily used by tourists.

There is a restaurant at the hotel which serves an evening buffet, which at 120 dirhams was the biggest rip off we came across in marrakech! The food was really awful, but due to the hotels bad location was all we were willing to try on our first night after a late arrival.

This is a standard budget hotel really, but after spending a few days in Marrkech and seeing what else was on offer I can't help but feel we could have found much better value for money elsewhere.

london
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

This Marrakesh hotel is sub standard and certainly not a three star hotel by any standards. I have stayed in hotels of similar category in New York, Paris, New Delhi, Sydney, Singapore, Dubai etc and could feel the difference in standards. This Moroccan hotel is in urgent need of an update as are many others in Marrakech city. Even the air-conditioning didn't work properly in the rooms. The pool is the size of a king bed...and the breakfast composed of breads, eggs and weak tea / coffee with appaling service.We were on bed & breakfast (fortunately ) and had buffet dinner just the first night - fell sick after eating such disgusting luke warm food which was overpriced. There is a super market inside the same building making it even more smelly specially on lower floors. So in my opinion try and avoid this hotel & Marrakech city altogather if you want to have a nice holiday !! believe you me if you haven't seen, you haven't missed much!!

A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011 via mobile

This Hotel is the best way to ruin a wonderful holiday in Marrakech. The rooms are filthy and the cleaners like to come into your room while you are sleeping and whilst you have the do not disturb sign on the door. The staff are very rude and need to learn about service. If you cant speak French then they they are even more rude to you. Breakfast is terrible, terrible coffee with stale croissants, no fruit, come on people, and a women trying to cook pancakes for a long line of people. They should realise that they should have 2 people cooking those pancakes. I know it's cheap come on......Do not stay there you have been warned.

• Stayed April 2011
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011 via mobile

Stayed 7 nights there in mid march.
Staff were extremely helpful, rooms were clean, good breakfast.

Not many facilities, did have wi-fi 24 hour help majority of staff spoke english. Swimming pool is rubbish but who cares.
Location was great, located 10 min walk from djema al fenaa and 20 min walk from gueliz. I would highly recommend this place especially if your out enjoyin the city most of the day

• Stayed March 2011
blackburn
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

I stayed with my husband and 15 month old son.
The hotel was situated in a good location. Right next door is the supermarket which is cheap.
The room was fine, had a little balcony. Only thing i would have wanted was a fridge, a kettle and a hairdryer in the room but apart from that it was good.
The breakfast was nice: cakes, croissants, yogurt, pancakes, boiled eggs, tomatoes and olives. Also had nice orange juice
I paid roughly £13 each per night to stay here which included bed and breakfast, which was really good.
I did laugh when I saw the swimming pool as I think a queen size bed is probably bigger.
There was a lobby downstairs, where I purchase a capuccino every day, this was lovely

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Been to Ryad Mogador Hotel? Share your experiences!