“Not my idea of 5 star” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #266 of 467 Hotels in Marrakech
Hove, United Kingdom
“Not my idea of 5 star”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Our first impression was that of a complete building site and to add to it our bedroom was facing the complete demolition of the hotel opposite. The room was grubby and although our bed had been made it looked as though someone had had a lie down on it. We requested another room and were placed around corner with a busy road for a view. (best rooms face the pool).
The balcony was a risk with the fencing being thoroughly rotten and at danger at any given time of giving way. Definitely not a room to be in with children. The pillows were as hard as rock and gave us a dreadful neck ache and the bathroom was tired with grout missing and the bath stained.
There also was a very strange ritual of staff knocking on the door at 9 am asking for the towels and even though room had been cleaned at times the towels were not returned till very late afternoon.

Reception staff were unhelpful and quite grumpy. Drinks were extremely expensive and to add to our discontent the waiter took cash for our drinks and decided he would keep the change without even offering us our change. When challenged later in the evening he grudgingly agreed he had forgotten to give us our change.

On a kinder note the pool man was courteous and always helped to find a chair for us with a smile. The breakfast was also good with a good choice of cooked foods and pastries.

Finally make sure you are advised about the extra taxes the hotel charge you on a daily basis. Even though we had pre paid this hotel we were charged an extra tax every day. On our departure not knowing about this we happily took off in yet again an over priced taxi only to find that the hotel had gone to all the trouble of finding the cab drivers mobile number and phone him to demand he take an extra £6.00 from us for the last days taxes. Can you imagine our horror. Certainly not a destination we will re visit.

Room Tip: Rooms around the pool have a better outlook although just as tired as the rest.
Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights while on a tour. At first glance this hotel ticks all the boxes but on closer inspection it seems the owner does not realise a hotel needs renovation after 10 years in operation. It is quite tired in many areas, particularly the rooms and public areas. The first room I was given was a joke - the door wouldn't close (sagged on hinges) plaster was cracked, balustrading on balcony severely weather damaged. Was given other room which was better (still had to slam the door to get it to shut though). The bathroom had insufficient hooks and no clothesline. The wi-fi is free and worked fine in the room, but not so well by the pool. The lounge and bar area seemed nice although dominated by a big tv showing soccer matches. The pool area was good and the attendant prompt to remove towels and reposition pool chairs as soon as they were empty, even if one had left other belongings there! With all the hotels available in Marrakech I suspect there are better choices than this one, at least until it is fixed up a bit. If you do stay here insist on a room overlooking the pool, and if allocated 431 reject it out of hand!

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Five Star hotels in Africa often appears as one or two stars lower than what one would expect in Europe or the United States. But Atlas Medina SPA takes the back of the charm. For real!

This was the first time I stayed at the Atlas Median Spa But I like to live there again. Nice experience!

I was meet by very professional people who carry your luggage to the room with a smile. The room is large and had a view of the pool in the bird's height. The bed quite good, and the standard more than approved.

The mini bar was a bit slunk, but otherwise everything worked fine. The hotel is a bit worn, but this is cheap luxury when you consider what price they demand. 110 dollars a night for a double room is good value for monies.

The location was fine for me with a little walk from the Jamaa el Fna, but you probably feel a bit far for the elderly.

What impresses me is the incredibly fast room service. Good food and smiling boys who delivers your order in no time. And good food!

A tip is to put water in the gym, and towels. It should also be Internet in the gym and it feels annoying that the internet is down and to the room. BUT mainly were all very good.

The highlight is the hotel's SPA. It was the best I've ever been at.
Simply wonderful venue and the best massage I have ever had. FANTASTIC

This surprise on the positive side, and I recommend it to both couples, singles and families. A large swimming pool is perfect for kids. Enjoy Marrakech here.

Room Tip: 5th floor with view to pool
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I stayed here twice during my recent trip to Marrakech. It was the perfect distance from the medina, and walking distance from the train and supra tours bus station, where you can catch buses to Agadir and Essoaria. All the staff were incredibly pleasant and were there to help around the clock. The pool is lovely and quiet and has a nice pool bar and restaurant for lunch. The spa was amazing!!!!!! I got a hamman twice and also had a fully body massage and pedi. The lobby bar was great for a few drinks before going out, they even gave me some free tasty finger food :) The last night there I also got my hair done and the man was amazing! I will definitely return many times. Thank you to all the lovely staff.

• Stayed April 2013
Derwood, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I was placed here by a BMW motorcycle meeting and a following tour. My first impression of my room was ok, comfortable with a balcony. Good amenities and clean enough. I had a problem with my luggage from Royal Air Maroc, and the staff was very helpful in tracking this problem. I went to the bar and met some friendly locals watching soccer. A very nice time. In the morning, I was impressed with wonderful breakfast buffet and omelet chef! Very nice. Then I went on to my next venue; the Four Seasons. I came back to this hotel after my tour a week later. Again I had problems with a canceled flight and the staff was very helpful in communicating with the airlines. The people here were very nice and helpful. There was only one problem here; the wifi internet sucked! If not for that I would have stayed…. Please see my review for the Hotel la Renaissance.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Sisteron, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This hotel is horrible. I stayed 4 weeks there. The service was bad, the staff unfrendly, the room needs to be renovated, too expensive for the quality of the hotel, old and worn, the hotel is very noisy because of a discotheque, there was often no water, the bathroom was cleaned once a week, there was usually no internet access etc.

Room Tip: not possible
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed two nights in this lovely hotel. This is a large hotel with an outlook onto an extensive pool and outdoor cafe area. The lobby had fountains, waterfall and a good selection of artwork to view. The lobby also had a very interesting shop with a variety of Moroccan souvenirs and handicrafts including attractive leather goods.
Our room had a large balcony with an outdoor setting and a great view of the pool area. In the distance we could see the Atlas mountains with snow caps which was quite a contrast. Bathroom was good, separate toilet area and a shower/bath and hand basin area in the main part of the bathroom. Great toiletries - vivid blue soap that I wish I could buy at home - must have some argan oil in it, as it was very soft to the skin.
Breakfast buffet was very good and we tried the dinner buffet one night and it was excellent. Moroccans love their sweets and so do we!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Atlas Medina & Spa? Share your experiences!