“A lovely, lovely riad with charming staff” 5 of 5 stars

Riad le Perroquet Bleu
86 Aarst El Baraka, Bab Ghemat, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #384 of 1,080 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“A lovely, lovely riad with charming staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

I stayed here with my daughter for seven nights during the first week of August and I have to say, we had a lovely time. I had initially booked a standard room as I booked through a third party and the other rooms (junior and superior suites) were not advertised. The standard room is nicely appointed but it is very small and quite hot (though the air con is efficient if somewhat noisy). However, the next day I asked for an upgrade to a junior suite and it was definitely worth it. It was much larger and cooler, as the junior suites tend to face on to the courtyards, and beautifully decorated. The riads (3 linked together) are beautiful and a real haven from the hot, dusty streets. The location, as others have pointed out, is not great but it is a quiet neighbourhood and the riad staff are happy to call for a taxi (do not pay more than 30-40 dirham for a ride into Jamaa el Fna). Others have commented that the call to prayer at around 5am was disturbing, but I must say, I only heard it myself once or twice and didn't personally find it an issue. I think it must be remembered that as a Muslim country, nowhere within the city is going to be entirely cut off from the call of the Muezzine, and that is the point after all!
There are one or two little things that could improve the hotel and these are, having a reception desk (it was often difficult to locate staff) and perhaps fresh fruit for breakfast. We tended to buy our own though, and it is very cheap. However, apart from these little niggles, breakfast was good, dinner (if your order it) is good, the beds were comfortable, the atmosphere is very relaxed but to top it all, the staff are lovely and couldn't be more helpful - Omar especially, though Rashid and others were also charming and attentive. My daughter can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Definitely go for at least the junior suite
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Darwen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

I Stayed here with my partner after 2 weeks of volunteering with orphaned children. What a contrast . Luxury is a understatement . My friends joined me for 2 nights and they were in heaven. The staff are wonderful and although is exudes opulence it does not lose it quirky personal touch . It is located right next to a mosque so beware if you are there through ramadan you may want to take ear plugs . Defo going back there .

Room Tip: we had a junior suite and it was amazing
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Lima, Peru
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

Positives:
Beautiful hotel, great staff! Great service, nice breakfast

Negatives:
Location, it is within the medina in an area where if you want to walk to the main square you will see yourself inside the chaos of the market, if you stay there you are better taking taxis to the square if you don’t want to stress in those walk.
I had a very small room but I met some people there that had a larger room.
the wifi didn’t work in the room, but if I stepped right outside of the the door it did, it works good in the whole first floor too.
They have the birds with the light switched on till late, I feel sorry for them as birds natural clock is with the light, I wonder how they manage to rest, I hope the owner reads it and puts some clothes on those cages so the birds can sleep in the dark and without the cat scaring them.
We booked what I thought was a tour (as that was the price for private tours in the area) to go to Ouazarzate, yet it was more of a transport we got as we did not have any guide at all for the price we paid that was even more than in the tours in the area. The driver though was very very good and friendly.

Overall a nice cosy Riad

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

Have just spent an amazing 5 days at this beautiful riad - or rather 3 riads linked together and each with a different character. My husband and I plus our 3 daughters loved the whole experience and in particular the birds, the rose petals in the fountain and the lovely people. I spoke to the manageress about having some signs in english which would be useful giving information about dinner, breakfast, drinks etc. but otherwise a great experience. I agree with the previous review about the distance to the main square - a walk not for the feint hearted but all part of the experience. Have to say a big thank you to Rocky who collected us from the airport and took us on two wonderful days of exploration around marrakech and up to the atlas mountains. He really is an asset to the hotel and speaks french and english.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Riad Le Perroquet Bleu is truly an amazing place and very well maintained, with beautiful furnishings & decorations throughout. It is actually 3 Riads merged into one. It is incredibly cool inside when you come in from the scorching Marrakesh sun. There are three separate roof terrace areas for you to relax on and a small pool on the ground floor which unfortunately isn’t heated, and because of the cool interior of the Riad it is ICE cold, so it’s more for decorative purposes than anything else I would say. (maybe the pool warms up later in the year though?) The Riad staff were absolutely wonderful, friendly, warm and caring people. Simmar who seems to work night and day was there to tend to our every need.

We booked dinner at the Riad on our first night and I can honestly say that we were served the best food that I have ever eaten in Morocco! It was absolutely delicious and I would highly recommend it. Marrakesh has many high class restaurants that cost an absolute fortune, but none of the food was as good as the meal we ate at the Riad. Thank you once again to the lovely female chef whom we also thanked in person.

A couple of negative points are that the Riad is in a very busy/noisy neighbourhood and right beside a Mosque – the 5 am morning prayers are the loudest I have ever heard in my life! This is of course absolutely to be expected in a Muslim country, it’s just a point to take into consideration when booking Le Perroquet Bleu. I've never stayed at a Riad right beside a Mosque before, so I'd no idea how loud the prayers would sound. The prayers wake up a neighbours cock at 5 am who is in big competition every morning with the Mouaddine (the prayer reciter) – the prayers stop but the cock continues for hours!

Unfortunately we didn’t experience the “Wow Factor” breakfasts mentioned in some of the previous reviews. Although breakfast is served until 10h30, there was never anything left at 9h30 when we arrived. We were of course brought orange juice (fresh one morning, processed the next), coffee and Moroccan pancakes if we wanted them, but when we asked for the cheese plate & bread to be replenished, we were told both mornings (at 9h30) that there was none left. If something is provided for breakfast, surely there should be enough for whom ever wanted it, instead of a small daily quota? (To answer your comment to my previous review Anissa - all of our group arrived for breakfast each morning by 9:30, so you were misinformed about our tariff arrival for breakfast. We bumped into you one morning at 10:30 when we had all finished breakfast & we were meeting downstairs to leave the Riad for the day).

The Riad is also a good distance away from Place Jemaa El Fna – a fast pace 20-30 mins walk once you negotiate the busy streets. Those who wrote 15 mins walk in a previous review must have ran the entire way! ;-)

One point which unfortunately left a bad taste in our mouths is on the last day when we were all paying our bills, as we had an early start the next day – the manageress was extremely interested (obsessed even) with whom we tipped in the Riad. She asked our group who they had given tips to and how much! She said that it’s better if we give our tips to her and she would distribute them, as we don’t see the people behind the scenes. Even if this were true, it is entirely your own business whom you choose to tip. We found this totally unprofessional and not to mention impolite & it naturally came across as dishonesty to our entire group of 12 people. In all my extensive travels, I have NEVER been asked to discuss whom I tipped with an establishments manager. We are an extremely generous group when it comes to tipping, I know so many people who never tip a penny when travelling. We made sure that we tipped the amazing & gracious chef & other behind the scenes kitchen/cleaning staff with euro & bags of chocolate. What you tip the staff is none of the managements business & they have absolutely no right to quiz guests about whom they tip! So please make sure that you DO tip the VERY deserving staff personally & discretely, and never give it to a Riads manager to distribute! I would be very happy to discuss this point further (& privately) with the Riads owner, as this episode unfortunately very much tainted our experience at Le Perroquet Bleu.

Having said the above, this is a truly beautiful Riad and well worth a visit – pay extra for a suite, as some of the standard rooms are a bit small, ask for a room not on the road side and bring some ear plugs with you! ;-)

If you’re looking for airport transfers, taxi journeys, excursions etc. for small or big groups, look no further than my good friend Nejjari Mohamed aka “Simmo” whom I hire every time I go to Marrakesh. Simmo provides a wonderful, reliable, trust worthy service at very reasonable prices. Simmo goes the extra mile every time to ensure that you are looked after like royalty! Simmo can be contacted by e-mail: excursionamarrakech@gmail.com

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Granite Bay, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

This is a gorgeous property that would be an amazing place to stay if only the management provided just a tiny bit of information. Instead, we felt very uncomfortable, as we were given absolutely NO information about the services. Want dinner? Sorry, you have to make a reservation the day before - not an issue if anyone had told us. Want to know what is for dinner and how much it costs? Too bad. Can you get laundry done? Roam around and find a worker, hand them your clothes and hope they come back sometime. Of course, no idea on the price. Want a bottle of wine? Your choice of Rose or Red (except when they run out) - again no idea what the wine is or how much. We felt like we were in a Saturday Nite Live skit. Thank god for Abdul who tried very hard to be helpful.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
RiadShama, Gérant at Riad le Perroquet Bleu, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your comments on TRIP ADVISOR.

On your arrival around 5 to 6 P.M, you have ordered a dinner for the evening and you said to the waiter you really enjoyed it
On the second day, there was a misunderstanding with the guide of the agency with which you have booked. He said you were dining at the riad, which was not the case.
So, we prepared your complete meal and we do not charge it to you ( starters, main meal, desserts).

Then, on the last day, at the very last minute in the evening, you wanted to have a dinner, we need to prepare in advance, at least we have to be advised on the morning for the same evening.

Last thing is the laundry service: we do not offer this service, that’s why we did not have a price list.

The waiter did’nt presents you the price list of the drinks and we do apologize for this.

Best Regards,

Anissa, Director Riad
Derby, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I consider myself to be fairly well travelled. I don't mind the odd cob web or lack of hot water, But I can honestly say I have never been spoken to in such a rude, accusing manner as I have by the manager of this Riad.

Numerous slight niggles that could have been overlooked: not replying to our emails prior to travel, eventually doing so but without answering all the queries (not many!). Failing to show us around upon arrival despite saying she would the next day. Not providing us with basic information about our stay.

So what caused the manager to come knocking at our door at 11.30pm shouting and accusing us of not paying or intending to leave without paying? A misunderstanding on her behalf, maybe if she had paid attention she would have remembered we were leaving the next day at 5pm not 5am, with every intention of paying.

So benefit of the doubt she got the time wrong & might have been concerned, rather than politely ask, lacking in any customer service skills, she thought it fine to shout and accuse. My friend tried her best to calmly try and find out the problem, the manager wasn't interested, preferring to carry on shouting at us. Also accusing us of not paying the airport transfer, we had paid the driver, it turns out he said he we said it was a tip. Moaning for paying the airport transfer in euros despite the email telling us the price in euros.

This terrible experience will be my lasting memory of the Riad. I urge caution when thinking of staying here, given how rude this woman was. The Riad itself is nice enough, clean. A worker there, Abdul was so very friendly and went out his way to help us, the manager could learn a lot from him.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
RiadShama, Responsable commercial at Riad le Perroquet Bleu, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Dear guest,
We are so sorry for all these misunderstandings ..
Indeed, we usually have our own driver, whose French is nearly fluent and few english basics. Unfortunately, he was off, so we had to take a company with a driver we didn’t know so well,
and that knew only french basics, and no english. That ‘s why, when you gave him money, he naturally thought it was a tip.
We appologize for that, of course.
Concerning the manager, indeed, she had others informations that lead her to this error of time departure, and I apologize again.

Best Regards
Béatrice TIPP
Sales Manager.

Been to Riad le Perroquet Bleu? Share your experiences!