“Excellent trekking in the Atlas mountains” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #103 of 475 Activities in Marrakech
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Come and experience the splendor of Morocco for yourself. We will take you to the greatest & most beautiful areas in Morocco Type: Walking Tours, One Day Camel Trek or Excusrion, Desert Expeditions Activities: Walking, Hiking, Mountain biking, Mountaineering, Deset Expeditions, Other Activities
London
8 attraction reviews
“Excellent trekking in the Atlas mountains”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

A really good way to see the Atlas. Moroccan Mountains will customise a tour for any size group into the mountains. I went solo with a guide and muleteer/cook (and a mule) and it was an excellent trip.

They will pick you up in Marrakech and take you to your starting point and then you set off into the mountains. They organise everything - itinerary, food and accommodation – and whole thing is very good value.

I hadn't been to the Atlas before and I found the going tougher than I imagined, primarily because you are often climbing up quite rough terrain. That said, I managed the whole trip except for the final 1,000m of Toubkal, which was beyond my ability. (The Inca Trail, for example, is a much easier trek. Here there are not many obvious paths and you are sometimes scrambling up scree or over big boulders).

Sturdy trainers are fine except for the final bit of Toubkal, for which you will need boots. It is very hot in the day (t-shirt weather) and cold at night, so take layers. You can rent walking poles at the start of the hike.

Accommodation is basic but clean. The food was great and in large quantities.

I had a great time. Very recommended.

• Polish first
Munich, Bayern, Germany
“Fantastic 5-day hike around berber villages!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I checked several companies and Trekking Morocco Mountains offered a great program for a good price. They took care of everything, picking me up in Marrakech and also arranging the food and accommodation for the whole hike. I would definitely recommend it and can guarantee that you will be taken care of for the whole trip.

Nairobi
“I had the best day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

After our week long conference in Marrakech, we decided that we wanted to do something different and outdoorsy before we left Morocco and after a little research I stumbled upon trekking Morrroco mountains on trip advisor.
While emailing Abdou I was very skeptical as it was a last minute enquiry but he replied to my emails immediately and within a few minutes we had everything planned out.
Our driver was on time to pick us up from the four seasons resort and he was the most delightful hound man I had the pleasure of meeting all my stay. We drove down to Imlil laughing all the way and he was extremely knowledgeable of the surroundings all the way and the great history of the North Africa. It's a pity I forgot his name but thank him for us if you can Abdou.
In Imlil we were received by Abdou who took time to discuss our trip over mint tea and eventually we decided on a route that was both reasonable for both of us and we had a lovely climb. After a short while my aunt was exhausted and decided she wanted a mule which Abdou Organized within record time. It was an incredible trip and it was nice to go to Abdou's (the tour guide) Home and the snacks he provided, and his son was a great joy to be around. Thank you so much for the hospitality.
We later went to the other Abdou's home where we had the most delicious lunch under the apple trees and played with his son and rested totally before we begun our journey back to Marrakech.
The two brothers' generosity is humbling and may God continue to bless you.
If you ever want to take a trip, these are the people to look for.
It was a trip filled with love and great memories.
I was completely enchanted.
Thank you!

Folkestone
“A fantastic day away from the hustle and bustle of Marrakech”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

My partner booked the day camel trek and trip to the Atlas Mountains, and we're really glad she did. We had an amazing time - Abdou is a brilliant guide, and to dine in his home was a real honour - his wife cooked an amazing meal, and his son was adorable.

The trek itself was beautiful, and really well organised. We were picked up first thing in the morning and driven to a small village an hour outside of Marrakech, where our Abdou (our guide) and our camels were waiting for us. The camels were very safe and secure feeling, and we enjoyed taking in the scenery on our 1hr30 ride through the farms, apple and walnut trees. We were then driven in Imlil where the view of the High Atlas mountains in the background was incredible. We walked around the villages before stopping for lunch, after which we were picked up and whisked back to our Riad in the city, safe and sound.

The whole day was a joy - from the camels, to lunch in the shade of Abdou's apple trees, and exploring some of the Berber villages in Imlil.

Abdou's other trips also sound great, and we'd like to do a longer one next time!

A day out on the tour was well worth it, and was a thoroughly enjoyable way to escape the city.

Copenhagen, Denmark
“Absolutely lovely day with Abdou”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Checked a lot of different companies that offers daytrips, but chose Trekking morocco mountains, because reviewers felt they were in very good hands, and everything went smoothly.
Within 15 min after sending first mail, everything was booked.
In marrakesh the driver picked us up at our riad on time, and drove us 45 min up in the mountains where Abdou was waiting with camels. We rode camels along applefields and a couple of villages for 1,5 hour ( remember sunscreen,hat and water) the driver waited for us where the cameltrek ended, and we drove to Imlil, where Abdou asked for how long we wanted to walk. We went for a smaller trip 1,5 hour through the mountain landscape. We arrived at the house of Abdou where a carpet and pillows had been layed out under appletrees, and we had lovely minttea, and a very good lunch, it was a priceless moment of the trip. Abdou is a really nice guy, who loves the mountains, and he adapts the trips so they fit you. We had a lovely day in the mountains in very good company, when we go to morocco next time we will certainly use Abdou as a guide again. A great experience, and as a mother travelling with daughter ,we felt safe and in good hands all along.