“Don't be scared but don't get lost!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 71 Shopping in Marrakech
Type: Shopping
Barton on Sea
23 attraction reviews
“Don't be scared but don't get lost!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

The locals are mostly fine, not as pushy as other countries and happy to do a deal. The Souks are a warren of alleyways and so you really need to keep you bearings or get a guide.

Visited September 2013

Glasgow
3 attraction reviews
“Marrakesh Souks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We spent an entire morning in the souks at the beginning of our trip to Marrakesh. We hired a guide to take us around which cost 100 DHM (about £8) - this was definitely worth it. The souks are a complete maze and there is so much more to see than you would expect, so hiring a guide so you can see everything is advisable.

Make sure you haggle! We ended up spending a small fortune in a chemist shop in the souks buying Argan oil and spices. We did ask our guide once we left the shop if we should have bargained and he said not so much in the proper shops in the souks, but always at the market stalls.

You will be asked by almost every single stall owner you pass to have a look at what they're offering, which can get a bit of a pain, but they don't take offense if you just ignore them and walk past.

If you are a woman, I would strongly suggest covering your arms and at least down to your knees. I had long trousers on and a vest top with a shirt underneath (it wasn't overwhelmingly hot as most of the souks are in the shade) but a lot of other tourists were wearing inappropriately short shorts and low cut strappy tops. This offends a lot of the older Moroccan men, and it will attract unwanted attention from the younger ones - they make no effort to hide the fact they're staring at your chest and I often felt uncomfortable.

However long you are in Marrakesh for, you should definitely visit the souks - you won't have experienced Morocco until you have, and there are some really nice items to buy!

Visited September 2013
Ingolstadt, Germany
3 attraction reviews
“Negotiating is fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I was in the Marrakech souks, on our tour with our tour operator Desert Dream4x4.
I really wanted to try my skills in bargaining.
In Germany, this is not possible, nobody does it in the shops - but in Marrakech, you can negotiate as much as you like, and it´s fun for both sides! I took extra money with me, just for this, and could get some very nice items for (as I suppose) good prices. It was fun, and I left every shop with a good feeling, and a handshake and smile for the shop-owner.
They were all nice fellows, and happy about my enthusiastic way of bargaining.
We not always found a solution, but that was okay for both. That´s what the souk is like.

Visited June 2013
“The begging is draining!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

What can I say you are robbed cheated begged and all in the sweltering heat. However it's got lots of nice little souvenirs and lots of keepsakes at a good price once u haggle it down. Be warned... Offer at least a 1/3 o what they ask for, if they say no walk away! They'll gladly accept what u offer once they see your serious!!! Would recommend a quick visit for something to do.

Visited June 2013
London, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
“Cheeky souks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Good fun at the souks! Be careful that you don't get ripped off but all the negotiating is fun and you can get some lovely items if you look in the right places and try a little of their language.

Visited September 2012