“A nice break from Moroccan food, but not memorable” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #59 of 507 restaurants in Marrakech
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: In the medina of marrakech, in the chaos of tangled alleys, suddenly, over a carved wooden door, a world unexpected. The patio shaded by lemon trees, a music descends from the sunny terraces and the scent of the best italian cuisine. The Restaurant & Cafe I Limoni offer a relaxing corner in a vintage flavor with a touch of modern design. You can listen to selections of the best music of the past and present while enjoying the traditional tuscan dishes of fish and meat, or just a club sandwich of crispy fries. We are open from 11.30 am to 15.30 and 18.30 to re-open for drinks with dinner and to continue until after midnight with music and cocktails.
Chicago, Illinois
“A nice break from Moroccan food, but not memorable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

After one night in Marrakech, we were sick of the typical Moroccan meal so ate Italian almost for the rest of our trip in Morocco. Our first choice, Pepe Nero was closed on Monday's so we settled for I Limoni. We took a cab from the Mellah, we could have walked but it would probably take about 30 minutes.

The atmosphere was nice, we sat in the courtyard surrounded by lemon trees and there was a tranquil fountain in the middle. To start we had the grilled vegetables and omelet/quiche- finally some fresh vegetables that I had been craving! We shared the lemon chicken- I would skip this next time- chicken was kind of slimy and the lemon sauce was a bit strange. We also had the duck ragu with tagliatelle which was just pasta with meat sauce. Overall, I would say the meal was ok, it wasn't amazing and I am not sure I would want to eat it again. It was just a nice break from Moroccan food.

The waiter was overly annoying asking us for our order. It took us awhile to translate the French menu on our iTranslate app (thank goodness they had wi-fi!) The owners didn't pay any attention to us at all, rather I felt like they were pushing our server to be quicker with taking our order. The owners seemed more interested in the Italian party that was sitting next to us.

I would recommend I Limoni just to get away from Moroccan food, to have something fresh and of average quality to eat that you know is probably safe, but not to have something that is overly enjoyable.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

86% Recommend
Davie, FL USA
“creative twist on Italian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Had a fantastic meal at I Limoni. It was frustrating to find but then so are many other restaurants in the Old Town. After walking down a somewhat deserted alley, you enter through a low door and walk into a very eclectic atmosphere where the tables are in an open courtyard with real lemon trees. Recommend you take a taxi to save time and frustration.

I had linguine with Tomato and Basil. I use this dish I use as a measuring stick in my review of an Italian restaurant. It must be very simple yet delicious and it definitely was here. For main course I took a risk and ordered the Seppie with roasted peppers. I say risky because I have never seen these two ingredients combined before. The combo worked perfectly and the dish was delicious. My wife had the Tagliatelle with a ground duck ragu which was also very different but tasty. She had the lemon chicken which was very good but not great.

Another nice touch were two of the Italian owners who visited our table to make sure we were happy and welcomed our comments. The owners touch made this feel more Italian than another very good restaurant we dined in called Pepe Nero which lacked that. I highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited June 2013
marrakech
“When you are tired of tagines.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

An interesting menu served quickly in an attractive courtyard setting makes for a very pleasant change from Moroccan fare. Mostly Italian, the menu is varied and both my friend and I enjoyed our meals very much. Prices are reasonable and the waiting staff attentive but not overly so. The decor is ecclectic and pleasing to relax in with four shady orange trees.. The owner came over to check everything was fine. A fine addition to the Marrakech restaurant scene. No alcohol but lovely fruit panaches.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, England, United Kingdom
“Best place in Marrakech?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

This was top quality stuff. A lot of places say they cook Italian food in Marrakech but I doubt anywhere does it like here.

Fresh foccacia, hand made ravioli and gnocchi and carefully made delicious dishes all round. The antipasti was brilliant, and the dug ragu with tagliatelle was as good as you'll find anywhere in or outside of Italy. Service was friendly and attentive and the courtyard is picture perfect but with a bubbly atmosphere. Quiet, pretty and peaceful, right in the thick of the Northern part of the Medina. Prices were very reasonable given the standard of cooking - 200dh per person for shared starter and a main with non alcoholic drinks and tip.

Can't recommend enough - worth spending some time looking for, the only sign giving directions is on the wall of one of the main streets in the area. Good luck...

Cambridgeshire
“Quirky with great atmosphere and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

Well worth trying to find, this is a great little place. The decor and the food were quirky (the obligatory bread came in a cute paper bag rather than the usual dull basket) and the chips were hand made crisps. Quality was great too and a reasonable choice for my veggie friend... especially compared to other Moroccan restaurants. Like another reviewer, we stumbled upon this whilst trying to find our way back to our Riad from the Souks. It had a lovely colourful doorway, which is what attracted us to it.
Highly recommended anyway!