“Potentially great hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sahara Palace Marrakech

You added Sahara Palace Marrakech to your Saves list
Sahara Palace Marrakech
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bp 12440 | P.O Box 12440 Annakhil, Palmeraie, Marrakech 40016, Morocco   |
Ranked #169 of 465 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Potentially great hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Stayed for 5 nights in July, we got a good deal and booked knowing that Ramadan would be a quiet period, however this hotel was like a ghost town. We only saw 2 other parties (couples) and we were a group of 6.
Location - The hotel is situated around 25 minutes from everything and the shuttle to the medina although good only goes around 4 times, which means you have to book taxis in advance of everything.
The resort is beautiful but some things just weren't right. The main thing being that no common parts of the hotel have air con and are decorated in thick rugs to make you feel even more hot. The gym and spa are also not sufficiently air conditioned either, and my sister who had a facial there, said it was more like torture than relaxation, as she was so hot.
The pool is lovely but the service by the pool is atrocious. I had to ask for a bottle of water 3 times and still didn't get it, also the hotel was half empty yet it took around 40 minutes to receive drinks (if you actually received them at all). The lunch service was also awful and there are also no fans in the shaded lunch area meaning there is no respite from the heat. Although the food for lunch was great.
The breakfast and dinner I could not fault apart from that the restaurant is the same for both and have no aircon or atmosphere. However the food is lovely and the staff/service great too.
It was a member of our party's birthday and the hotel made a good fuss they presented us with a cake at dinner and the waiters came out singing happy birthday which was a really nice touch. It was also made known to the staff that it was her birthday and many staff wished her a happy birthday.
The front desk staff and the concierge were faultless and really helpful with booking restaurants and information on things to do.
The rooms were decorated beautifully and extremely large but once again there was no air-conditioning in the bathroom or the dressing area, so getting ready was not comfortable at all. The power also went off and on every morning around 8am which meant the aircon turned off and the tv on and off around 5 times.
If I could sum up the stay I would say it is hit and miss, the hotel has the potential to be an amazing hotel, calm in the crazy of Marrakech however it is lacking a lot in terms of finishing touches and pool service.

Room Tip: rooms are nicer which face the pool area
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Angela M, Guest Relations Manager at Sahara Palace Marrakech, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your honest reflection of your recent visit to Taj Palace Marrakech. I sincerely apologize that we let you down in many aspects of your stay, especially the poolside service and technical issues. As much as it pains us to read it, your constructive feedback is most helpful in recognizing which areas we need to improve.

Despite our shortcomings in this instance, we are delighted to hear that your sister's birthday was an enjoyable event. We do hope that you may one day return to give us a second chance.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Doha, Qatar
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

If I would have my 10 years old niece with me she would love it. A goldfish pink room full of mirrors and heavy curtains evoke the feeling that you have walked in into on of the Disney movies. But it finishes there. I have stayed there for about 3 nights and was glad we were leaving. Bathroom window could benefit from not being transparent considering the safety guard I saw walking up and down. The private Terrace would benefit from washing the mattress on the bed outside and not talking about the staff that have no idea what customer service is. Seeing a women dragging her suitcases at the end of the world one could think that if staff is staring at you they would at least say hello and not just look at you how u r struggling to get to your room, the same at breakfast which I though had quite poor choice. Gym quite limited.
The place has a beautiful setting with amazing view of atlas mountain and I could see few year ago it had it's good days but now it felt a bit abandoned and struggled. I wish the owner would invest into the manager who could explain the staff what customer service is and maybe invest a bit more love into the place that has so much potential. Oh yeah electricity power cut doesn't help if u have to go to work and have to take cold shower and can not see a thing in your room. Maybe it was time of the year....but the unprofessional manner how the situation was handle with was not nice at all and just the cherry on the cake to tell me....no, thank you for another time.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Angela M, Guest Relations Manager at Sahara Palace Marrakech, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear Ms. Anna,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay on Trip Advisor.

We are disappointed that you did not find Taj Palace Marrakech to your tastes, but have taken on board your constructive feedback so that we may better meet and exceed the expectations of our guests.

Taipei, Taiwan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

My family and I traveled to Marrakech and stayed in the two bedroom suite in Taj Palace for two nights. The service and safety of the hotel was horrendous and unbelievably ridiculous. I filed the complaint twice before we checked out and once again via email after I got back to my home country, but was constantly told "we will get back to you"...

FIRST: At 9am in the morning, a member of the hotel staff barged into our room, without knocking. We had the "red tassel" hung on the door knob, which we were told meant "do not disturb". At 9am in the morning, my entire family was still sleeping and was awakened by the vigorous noise which the staff made when trying to open the door. When confronted, he said he needed to "check the mini bar", then left without any apologies or further explanation.

SECOND: The same morning, on our way to breakfast, my mum fell into a hole on the lawn which I believe was for the sprinklers. The lid was not covered properly, it scratched and bruised her feet and her new shoes were also destroyed. (See attached photos)

During breakfast, we raised the above issues to the restaurant manager and asked to speak to the hotel manager directly. After a few minutes, we were told that the hotel manager had just left for a meeting (how convenient...). The restaurant manager suggested that I leave my room number and email, he will ask the hotel manager to get back to me, and I did.

There was a two hour gap between the time I filed the complaint to the time we checked out... NO ONE came to ask if my mum was ok.

Before we left the hotel, I finally managed to speak to someone who said that she was the manager on duty. When I raised the issues to her again, she said she was aware of the complaints that I have filed, but couldn't find where we were...

I know "Taj Palace" is big, but it is not THAT big. There wasn't that many hotel guests and we were the only Asian guests in the entire hotel. What I find even more ridiculous was that both the restaurant manager and the duty manager knew our room number! So I find it hard to believe when the duty manager said she "could not locate us".

The room cost was NOT cheap, and I did NOT pay that amount of money to have some random male staff walk in and out of our suite whenever he feels like it, especially when my parents and both my sisters were still sleeping. Or to have my mum injured during our family vacation.

Following my email to Taj Palace and the Taj Hotel Group, I got a reply from Mr. Dino Van Eeckhaut, GM of Taj Palace Marrakech saying that he will get back to me within 24hrs...that email was sent on the 19th June, 2014...and I haven't received any relevant reply from any of their staff yet.

The rooms and facilities were also poorly managed and maintained. Dusty sofas and pillows, cracked marble in bathroom. Both our en-suite bathroom smelled a little funny, and our guest bathroom was leaking, which no one came to fix.

Obviously, since the management of the hotel doesn't care about their customers, why should their staff? I will NEVER recommend anyone to stay in this hotel, with the price you're paying, probably better off at the Aman or the Four Seasons.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Angela M, Guest Relations Manager at Sahara Palace Marrakech, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear Guest,

Once again, please accept our sincerest apologies for your experience at Taj Palace Marrakech. This is truly an unfortunate accident, which by no means reflects our normal levels of service and standards upon which we pride ourselves.

Both our General Manager and Front Office Manager have been in contact with you, and I hope you are satisfied with the recovery that has been offered. Despite our shortcomings in this regard, we hope to welcome you back to Taj Palace Marrakech.

Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Me and my Fiancée stayed at this hotel for 7 nights, and It was everything I had expected and more! The property was absolutely beautiful, just like a fairytale palace, making me feel like a true Princess, haha. The rooms are even BETTER than the pictures! We were both so in love with our suite and I think I took about a couple of dozen pictures of it.

The hotel is located around 20 min from central, but we rented a car and it was much easier to find the way, than we originally thought it would be. It is basically just a straight road, all the way to town (Giliz) from the hotel.

The staff were super friendly and accommodating and the concierge Adil, was one of the sweetest and most helpful persons we have ever met! He handled all our daily "challenges", as they indeed were, wholeheartedly. Everyday we wanted him to book us table reservations and other tour reservations, we would always give him a late notice - not on purpose! - but he always managed to find us exactly what we wanted. We could call him whenever we wanted, even on his days OFF, we would call him to help us with something, and he was more than honored to help! What a terrific human being!

We highly recommend this hotel, if you are looking for a luxurious, relaxing vacation. We cannot wait to be back and especially to see our friend Adil!

FUN FACT:
This is the hotel where Sex & the City 2 was filmed!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Angela M, Guest Relations Manager at Sahara Palace Marrakech, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear Princess Gabriela,

Thank you for posting your review about your recent visit to Taj Palace Marrakech. The fact that you spent a week feeling like a fairytale princess is ever so rewarding and satisfying for us.

Sometimes one particular person / element / anecdote can truly make a vacation; providing you happy memories to look back on for years to come. In your case, this was Adil, who I must concur is a true gem of a person, colleague and Concierge all rolled into one. I will be sure to share your kind words with him, knowing that he will be honoured and humbled to receive them.

Adil and the rest of the team at Taj Palace Marrakech eagerly await your return!

Mumbai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

My wife and myself stayed here for two nights between the 24th to the 26th of June 2014. From the beginning to the end of our stay, nothing was too much for the team at Taj to handle. Everything was very professional and very efficient.

Hotel description: Amazing location, superb rooms, we stayed in the Palace Atlas Room overlooking the pool and the atlas mountains and it was incredible. The property is huge and well managed.

Food: We are vegetarian jains and this is one area where the Taj Group and Team have an expertise. They got us in touch with the chefs directly and we were able to co-ordinate with them for whatever food we required. Breakfast, Lunch and dinner were a feast and an amzing experience. They sent a special cake to our room to commemorate our anniversary. Again a very special feeling and great touch by the Taj group.

Team and management: Angela Mcguire, thank you for everything. A big shout out to you for making our stay very special. Any request made to you was not only fulfilled but exceeded our expectation. You have managed to add the Taj Palace Marrakech back on our bucket list. Hope to see you again real soon.

Other kudos to, Mr. Khalid at reception, Mr. jaffar Ali in reservations, Mr. Mohammed at Mantra, Mr. Dolphy the chef at mantra, Mr. David the Head chef(the walnut tart was fabulous).
I apologize if I have forgotten anyone in my review but my memory is not what is used to be;@).

Thank you for an incredible stay and experience, we look forward to staying with you again soon.

Rushabh and Miral Parikh

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr. and Mrs. Parikh,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on Trip Advisor.

Your praise is truly humbling, and I have already passed along your kind words to the team, who were indeed highly encouraged by your remarks. We are thrilled that your anniversary was memorable, and that we were able to meet your dietary requirements.

You are always welcome at Taj Palace Marrakech!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

I'm currently staying at the Taj Palace Marrakech for four nights until the 14th of June 2014. It is a stunning property with the worst service except Abdil at the concierge who is brilliant and else everything is horrible. I've stayed at all the leading and luxury hotels and resorts from Maldives to Bora Bora but nothing as bad as this. Our room was stunning as we took a 1 bedroom Atlas Suite at the palace and I personally informed the hotel 1 month prior to my coming at the hotel via email of my preferences as I'm a Taj Innercircle Gold member as well. But nothing was ensured one bit to what was promised. The rooms and bathrooms are full of Mosquitos and water pressure is pathetic no privacy through the bathroom window as I could see people taking bath in the riads opposite butt as naked, cracked marble flooring. Any requests for anything takes between 30-45 mins and sometimes an hour. The Spa is the worst I spent nearly 2000 Moroccan dirhams on 3 treatments for me and my wife but it was as if we paid someone to drop oil on us. Without courtesies to offer towels water cover your eyes while getting a massage or even English speaking staff. I have 3 more days yet to go and I'm debating what to do. On top of that you will pay top dollar which one doesn't mind where you get service and personalisation often across top resorts of the world but not here. Go to Four Seasons or any random Riad it will be much better. You can't even see Atlas Mountains which they mention for their rod nowhere to be seen. No people to serve at the pool no life guards absolutely deserted waited for 45 mins for someone to come to us big in despair. Walked across the hotel to he reception to get a bill cancelled for which I signed to be served prior to getting the food as it never showed up. Pathetic!!'

• Stayed June 2014
Angela M, Guest Relations Manager at Sahara Palace Marrakech, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear Mr. Raghu,

Thank you for your constructive feedback.

It was a pleasure meeting with you to discuss your concerns, and I can only apologize that your stay did not get off to a positive start. I do hope that you enjoy the rest of your time with us and here in Morocco, and remain at your disposal should you require any further assistance.

Guest Relations
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

We recently hired out one of the restaurants at this hotel for a wedding brunch. The food was of the highest standard. We are used to world-class buffets and the brunch that the Taj hotel in Marrakech put on for us in May 2014 was certainly ranked in our top 3. The food was immaculately presented, tasted fantastic, and was constantly replenished. Moreover, the quality of the food was outstanding - oysters, bresaola, sushi, fois gras, truffled eggs, etc.

Kamil Ennadifi, the hotel F&B manager for our brunch provided service of the highest quality, accommodating our every need inlcuding a live violinist (all we said is that we like classical music. We thought they would play a classical mix, but instead organized a wonderful live violinist). The planning and execution world class and all at very affordable prices. Thank you again!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Taj Palace Marrakech as the venue for your wedding brunch, and for taking the time to share your experience with other Trip Advisor users.

We are delighted that the day was memorable, and that you enjoyed the food, quality, service and entertainment. I will be sure to pass along your words of thanks to Mr. Kamil.

Wishing you a long life of love and happiness together.

Guest Relations Manager

Been to Sahara Palace Marrakech? Share your experiences!