“Wow - Fantastic” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sahara Palace Marrakech

You added Sahara Palace Marrakech to your Saves list
Sahara Palace Marrakech
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bp 12440 | P.O Box 12440 Annakhil, Palmeraie, Marrakech 40016, Morocco   |
Ranked #168 of 464 Hotels in Marrakech
Dublin, Ireland
“Wow - Fantastic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

We went on honeymoon to the Taj Palace in June. The flight was delayed so unfortunately we arrived really late and were escorted straight to the room late so probably didn't get the complete welcome that everyone talks about.

When we arrived at the room and all I can say is WOW - the entrance, it really is the best room we've been in, big time. The size of the bedroom, the dressing room and the huge bathroom just fabulous. The high ceilings and the colours - just fantastic. The size of the bed also - it feels like you could just get lost in it...

The hotel was very quiet which was the only problem, which was such a pity as it was fabulous place, but they did say it was out of season. Staff were great and we even got to have a look at the suite they used in Sex and the City which is completely knock-out. Staff are very welcoming and pleasant. The guys in the breakfast room were very attentive.

The only problem as I see it and its always the same with 5* hotels, is the food. We only ate in one night and it was nice but nothing special, had the indian. I have read some of the other reviews saying how good it was - so maybe it was because it was quiet. Had a gin & tonic which was excessively expensive - I think it worked out at about £14. Had a cocktail in bar later on which was also very expensive, now I do accept its a 5* hotel and you expect high prices but its still a bit pricy for Morocco.

The last day we were there we decided to splash out and go to the spa (wow it was totally amazing) well worth the cost. We had the Hamman - out of this world. They wash you down completely and then the man giving my new husband the wash down bent and twisted him in all directions - it was soooo funny, but he said it was incredible. I was let off lightly - just having a good scrub. Your skin is amazing afterwards, so soft - then you get the massage - ohhh really lovely - I felt like a piece of putty. This is well worth the expense.

It was a lovely place to go on honeymoon and probably suited us being quiet but I felt for them.

Room Tip: I don't think there's anything in particular - all the rooms seem to be excellent. If you w...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
TajPalaceMarrakech, Guest Relations Manager at Sahara Palace Marrakech, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Taj Palace Marrakech, and are thrilled that your honeymoon was a memorable occsion.

I will share your feedback with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. Thank you for your observations about our restaurant menus and prices - such comments help us to grow and improve in order to better serve our guests.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we look forward to serving you in the future. Wishing you a lifetime of love and happiness together!

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Marrakech, Morocco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

For my 30 th birthday , we booked a table in The Pan Asian Restaurant Mantra , At the Taj palace Marrakech, From the begining we were taken in charge by the Agent at the reception, who offered us an amizing tour Of the property.
We had few drinks at the Bambay Bar , which is beautifully decorated than we were escorted to our table . the whole staff were amazing the service at dinner was just perfect, the food exquisite, and for this matter i would like to congratulate all the Taj palace team for the excellent and memorable moment the was offer to myself and my friends

Thank you again !!! we will come back for sure

Room Tip: Try the Pan asian restaurant you wont regret it :)
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
TajPalaceMarrakech, Guest Relations Manager at Sahara Palace Marrakech, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Mr. Anas,

We appreciate your feedback about your recent experience at Taj Palace Marrakech, and are thrilled to learn that your 30th Birthday dinner was an enjoyable and memorable occasion for you and your guests.

We hope you will dine with us again next year for your 31st Birthday!

Terceira, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

I am the owner of a travel agency since 18 years, and I travelled a lot - always to the best and poshest places around the globe. Therefore I am able to compare objectively and professionally what hotels are offering to their clients. What I can say about the Taj are superlatives! I loved this hotel from the bottom of my heart! It is an oasis of luxury, it is so quiet, so chic, so posh, so colourful! The staff is marvellous, they do everything to make your stay an unforgettable one. They do care a lot about you, they smile at you, and unlike in many other hotels in Marrakech, they are not snobby at all here at the Taj.
The building itself is palatial and very, very beautiful.
The lobby is breathtakingly magnificent in its opulence.
The gardens and pool area are too beautiful to be true - just marvellous.
There is a huge pool (40x40 meters)!
The rooms are very spacious, but there are no words to describe their beauty and their orgy of colours. 100 points for those rooms and suites!
The bathrooms are fabulous.
There is nothing that I could criticize, because those little things which did not earn a 100% from my side were compensated by others which earn 150%!
Quality of food was excellent. Service was excellent as well. The menu selection is sort of limited if you do not like Indian or Moroccan food. Breakfast is below expectations, and it is too expensive for what you find on the buffet. There could be really made improvements, if I may suggest so to the cooks. Have a look at the breakfast at the Delano and you will understand why I was disappointed about the Taj breakfast.
All in all I can only recommend this magnificent fairy tale hotel. The reason of my trip to Marrakech was to look at the 25 best hotels in and around town. If I could choose one of those 25 I would turn to the Taj. I loved it most. I felt super happy there. It is stylish but not snobby. And it is stunningly beautiful without being cool. The staff is superb and it is "my" beloved hotel in Marrakech. The rooms are 100% my taste, and in all Marrakech I did not find someone as smiling, friendly, helpful and professional as Mrs. Angela (front desk). Everything was superb here, and I allow myself to add that people who criticized things at this hotel on tripadvisor might have forgotten that Morocco is not Miami Beach or Hong Kong. The charming thing about the place is that things do not have to be as efficient and supersonic as in highly civilized places. Marrakech means 1001 nights. You have to bring along time, patience and comprehension for a different way of acting, as well as a different religion and mentality. Four Seasons might offer more perfect services, but I prefer 100 times the Taj because it is not overdone, not untouchable and not so perfect as everywhere else. But the Taj is my beloved place in Marrakech. It is perfect for me. It goes underneath your skin and you will never forget about it! Thanks to all the staff for everything you did for Gregory and myself. We loved every single minute, and all of you are great!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the swimming pool and Atlas mountains are much nicer than the onesto the back. There a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Travel Maniac,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay with us at Taj Palace Marrakech, and we are delighted to hear that you consider us "your beloved hotel in the city".

We have taken on board your feedback about our breakfast and dinner options, are are currently working to improve and extend our Food & Beverage offerings.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Epsom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

The opportunity to visit Morocco came up recently. We were offered a five night for four break at this hotel by a travel company and as we like to stay in Taj hotels where possible we grabbed it. I'd read a report by Sanka Guha in the Telegraph which was favourable so we were full of expectation. The hotel lives up to its name with iots palatial ambience and accommodation. Our room was the largest, most palatial and most comfortable we have stayed in to date. Our welcome was very warm and as we had to wait for our room we were served complimentary coffee and croisssants while we waited. Staff were extremely courteous and helpful, if at times a little amateurish. These were the positive points.
Now for the negatives. Complimentary beverages consisted of three Nespresso capsules, and if we needed more we would have to pay for them. A pricey option. There was no tea available despite the card on the tray saying that it was. If we wanted some, we would have to purchase tea bags. Once more over priced. Dining choices extremely limited. Moroccan restaurant serving local dishes did not come up to our expectations.
The Pan-Asian restaurant served Indian and Japanese only. I dislike Japanese, and had to stick to the Indian, which was acceptable. The menu at the poolside restaurant was very limited.
In-room breakfast not too great and overpriced. Breakfast buffet in the restaurant excellent, made even better by the excellent service.
The hotel's position outside Marrakech in the Palmeraie was quiet and peaceful. Bliss! A shuttle service to the town centre was on offer and was excellent, so the distance from the Medina was not a problem.
We would go back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
TajPalaceMarrakech, Guest Relations Manager at Sahara Palace Marrakech, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay with us at Taj Palace Marrakech.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We have taken on board your feedback about our Food & Beverage offerings, and will address your points with the Departments concerned.

If you would like to discuss your comments in further detail, please do not hesitate to contact me at angela.mcguire@tajhotels.com

Newport Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

My best friend and I stayed at the Taj for 5 days earlier this month - we were anticipating that this would be the highlight of the trip, and the hotel's impressive structure and decor did not disappoint. It is magnificent. Our room was the most beautiful hotel room I'd ever stayed in, and I travel quite a lot and have very high expectations. We were upgraded upon check-in to a Palace room, and had an incredible view of the pool. The opportunities are slight, but they're definitely there. Every employee that we encountered was incredibly kind (our favorite was Khalid, he was amazing, and gave true, 5-star service. I became very ill at the hotel, and he kept checking in on me, sending up hot tea, etc. - he is a gem! This help endeared us to the hotel, and made up for many of the opportunities.). The bigger issue is that the hotel seems to be both under-filled and under-staffed. We were 2 of 6 people at the huge hotel all day. Not complaining, but kind of bizarre. I've listed the Pros and Cons below - although there are many opportunities, this is truly an amazing hotel and the Pros carry a lot of weight with me.

Pros:
Seriously Impressive Structure: The photos explain this.
Phenomenal Room Decor: I'm not expecting to witness anything more incredible, ever.
Beautiful Pool: Absolutely beautiful and huge. A welcome refuge from the craziness of Marrakech's city center.
Warm Welcome: The reception staff and bellmen were lovely and helpful.
Thoughtful Concierge & Reception: See comments about Khalid, above.
Great Indian Food: Expected at the Taj, but very, very good nonetheless.
Love the Fresh Flowers in Room: This is a nice touch that was very appreciated!
Nice Breakfast on Patio: We had room service out on our patio. It was dreamlike!
Lovely Spa: Beautiful spa, and although we didn't manage to carve out time to experience it, other guests spoke of how great it was.
Housekeeping: Extremely thorough.
Stunning Grounds, Flowers, Garden Areas: Everything is enchanting!
Toiletries: Hermes, and as a result, the only hotel I've considered stealing the small bottles from.

Cons:
Under-Staffed (in general): There were several times that we tried to call either Room Service, Reception, Housekeeping, but no one answered...this is totally unacceptable to me. It felt like there was only one person staffing each area, so if they got another call, we were out of luck.
Pool Cleanliness: The pool's floor felt a little slimy. Gross, but I witnessed them cleaning it several times, so I don't get it.
More Dining Options: What if we don't want Indian or Japanese food for dinner? Although delicious, we came to Morocco, and might actually like Moroccan food. This drove us away from the hotel into the city center almost every night. The poolside restaurant was fine, but overpriced and uninspired. I didn't really want a boring club sandwich for lunch.
Shower: The shower seems to completely flood the shower room, and I couldn't figure out how to get around this.
General Maintenance: The hot water went out in our room until it was completely cold. Maintenance came and fixed it, but left dirty boot tracks all over the bathroom, and then the shower room had a weird stench to it after he left. It put a damper on the day.
The Shuttle: Was broken when we were staying at the hotel. I'd recommend that maybe you keep it on call for guests to come and go upon request.
Overpriced Beverages: I expect to be overcharged at five-star hotels, but $20 for two iced teas, really?
Minibar Mishap: Upon checkout, the hotel attempted to charge us for a couple of vodkas and strawberry juice. I wish I could say that we enjoyed these, but we stayed away from the minibar, so that was strange.

All in all, a beautiful hotel with several service-related opportunities. I would definitely return again, pending reviews that speak to improvements in these areas.

Room Tip: Stay in the Palace, if you possibly can.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
TajPalaceMarrakech, Guest Relations Manager at Sahara Palace Marrakech, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Dear Ms. Loftis,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us at Taj Palace Marrakech.

Royal Wootton Bassett, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We have stayed at hotels in the Taj group before and at several Leading Hotels of the World. We were looking forward, therefore, to staying at the Taj Palace in Marrakech, but unfortunately were somewhat disappointed with the experience. First, the property is most impressive and really does resemble the palace of a Maharaja. The public rooms are enormous and our bedroom was large and airy with great views over the Palmerie. The balcony was a lovely place to sit and contemplate life and the setting sun at the end of the day.

As other reviews have pointed out, the swimming pool is very large in keeping with the rest of the property, but the bathing experience was not enhanced by the areas of slimy sand on the bottom. It needed a bit of loving care. Indeed, unlike other guests who had assistance, help to arrange chairs and umbrellas around the pool was not too much in evidence. We did get a glass of iced tea and a fruit plate one day but not on the other 3 days we used the facility. Apparently there is also some rule about the amount of complimentary drinking water available but trying to get to the bottom of that was opaque. This same thing applied to the coffee capsules and tea bags supplied in the room. One couple was charged 90 dr for 3 tea bags! Great marketing but even the most skinflint of boarding houses supply free beverage makings and one could expect a 5* hotel to do the same. Obviously one is not expected to use the in-room facility as the glasses we used were not cleaned, washed or replaced. Most disappointing for a hotel of this purported standard.

Turning to the dining facilities, the manager's welcome letter said that breakfast started at 07.00am. Twice we wanted to take breakfast early. Once at 07.45 they were hardly ready for guests with many items missing from the buffet. On the second occasion we went down at 07.20. Nothing was ready or set up and indeed the lights didn't come on until 07.30! We used the restaurants, but compared to the food in a city restaurant the Moroccan food was disappointing. The Indian restaurant was acceptable and we enjoyed two Indian meals. However, the Sunset Bar was closed and the Bombay Bar was like drinking in the snooker room of a men's club.

Finally, there was no information in the room about hotel facilities. We had to find the spa for ourselves and book treatments which were good. All in all we were left with the impression that there was a complete lack of supervision and attention to detail in many aspects of running the hotel was sadly lacking. A disappointing stay and will make me a little sceptical about staying with the Taj group again as it seems to be going downhill.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ms. Judi F,

We are sorry we did not meet your expectations during this visit, but would like to thank you for your constructive criticism, as we are always hoping to improve our services and facilities in order to better meet and exceed your expectations.

Paris, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Writing this review from the taj, room 235. Problems since we arrived :
mini bar not working, called twice for repair but still not working (hot drinks when u wake up at night).

The price of alcool drinks are not in the mini bar menu (is it free ?)

Toilets not working, making noise all night

no Bed in our room terrace (other delux rooms have one)

In room breakfast ordered yesterday night, arrived 30 minutes late, cold harira (moroccan soup), lime juice with no sugar, industrial jam (whereas advertised as home made), missing ordered items (had to call in room dining to get it).

No Jiva spa (signature spa of taj hotels)

I shall complete this review after leaving the hotel with pictures.

We are very disapointed, taj should really take appropriate actions to "save" this hotel.

Regards

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us at Taj Palace Marrakech, and we do hope you enjoyed your friend's wedding whilst you were in house.

Your comments are invaluable, as they help us to achieve our objectives of meeting and exceeding your expectations. We apologize that we were unable to deliver in some areas during this visit, but do hope that you may return in the future

Guest Relations Manager

Been to Sahara Palace Marrakech? Share your experiences!