“A palace amongst Marrakesh hotels” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Palais de l'O

You added Palais de l'O to your Saves list
Palais de l'O
5.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Route de Fes, Km 12, Douar Oulad Jallal, Commune Oulade Hassoune, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #313 of 1,072 Marrakech B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“A palace amongst Marrakesh hotels”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

As a regular visitor to Marrakesh, I was disappointed to find my usual haunts fully booked, and concerned at 'relegation' to a small boutique hotel on the outskirts of the city. How wrong I was, and how lucky to discover the discreet joys of the Palais de L'O. This is a beautiful hotel in every sense - setting, rooms, décor, facilities, service - are all offered with discreet elegance, grace and charm. The staff are wonderfully helpful, and equally wonderfully unobtrusive. The atmosphere is serene and the distance from Marrakesh is in reality short (just a 20 minute drive) but feels a million miles away from the noise and crowds. Daytimes are spent on comfortable loungers by the quiet poolside, with the scent of roses and lavenders, being pampered in the small but well equipped spa or enjoying, at any time of day, the freshest of foods prepared exactly to your order. At night, it's a pleasure to return to a place that becomes a personal oasis. An unforgettable few days and now my number one choice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My 3 friends and I stayed at the Palais De L'O at the end of April 2013, the purpose of trip was to come away from the stress of work, re-charge the batteries, totally chill out, and soak up the sun. All criteria met due to the fantastic stay at this hotel. From the minute we were picked up at the airport to leaving, all our needs were catered for. On arriving at the hotel, pleasantly surprised by given a free upgrade to fabulous inter connecting rooms - felt more like a luxury apartment than hotel rooms. The stay just got better and better from that moment. We had a lovely lounge and huge balcony overlooking the pool and gardens. The bedrooms and bathrooms clean and decent size. The attention to detail amazing, beautiful individual furnishings added that extra touch of luxury. The surroundings very tranquil- felt like you were a million miles from the hustle and bustle of Marrakesh. Days were spent lazing around the pool and pampering in the sauna and steam rooms. Evenings 15 minute drive into Marrakesh, for 20 Euros we were dropped off and picked up at whatever time suited us. Special mention of all the staff, who were first class - very attentive and nothing was too much for them, from preparing the rather dubious cocktails that we requested, asking for food that was not on the menu, recommending some great restaurants, arranging transport to anywhere we wanted to go - the list is endless. Wonderful staff - so leave a big tip! This was my 3rd trip to Marrakesh and when I go back again, without hesitation would stay at the Palais De L'O again - I was tempted not to write a review since I wanted to keep this hidden treasure all to myself!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Ridderkerk, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed at hotel Palais de L’Ô at the end of April 2013. That was an amazing experience, perhaps the best hotel experience I have ever had. The location of this hotel is at 12 km from Marrakech. The rooms are comfortabel as they all face the beautiful garden and/or swimming pool. The rooms are large and clean, equipped with a/c, tv, free Wi-Fi. The hotel looks brand new, in fact full renovated, with a recent opened beautiful Spa as well. That is also to see in the garden which is fully grown with large palm trees. But I think the best attribute of this hotel is the staff. You really feel so welcome, as if you belong to the family. They are so nice and polite, especially the young lady at the front desk with the huge smile. The included breakfast is exceptional! They bring your breakfast table to the side of the swimming pool. You feel yourselves a millionaire.. Such a rich breakfast, that you can easily pass on lunch and go straight to dinner. The poolside area is also beautiful and quiet. Overall this is quite a relaxing place, it’s like an escape to paradise, and all that is very reasonably priced. If you are a party animal, please try something else. Having this hotel as your basis you could definitely explore the entire Marrakech onde day and relax the other day etc.So for this purpose is it perfectly located. I promised to myself that I will be coming back for sure.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

My best friend and I spent 3 nights at the Palais De L'O in the run up to Easter. We only booked two days before arrival and so sent a couple of speedy emails just to confirm directly with the hotel and notify them of our arrival times. Although our flight was delayed we were still greeted at the airport and whisked to the most wonderful hidden oasis on the outskirts of the city. On arrival the staff fed us the most delicious beef tagine, regardless of the late hour and showed us to our spacious suite, which was truly sumptuous and which we duly nicknamed the 'Pool House'. A twin bedded room (so welcome for friends who travel together) crisp white linen fluffy duvets and pillows and a beautiful en suite bathroom with rain shower. The room was also warm and toasty for our arrival which I thought was a lovely touch, very welcoming. The hotel kindly also gave us use of an adjoining lounge and would light the open fire for us in the evenings...it was heavenly.

We enjoyed or should I say experienced a traditional hammam at the hotel's spa on our first day. Though it may not be for the shy we soon forgot our inhibitions and found it to be both invigorating and relaxing and a great start to any sunbathing session. The spa here is lovely, offering a sauna, the hammams or steam rooms, massage treatments and a huge jacuzzi. You could just wander around in a fluffy white robe and no one batted an eyelid at us wandering from our room, through the gardens to the spa in our robes and slippers. Bliss!

The pool is the focal point at the hotel and it is divine. Surrounded by huge two person sun loungers with canopied shades, you can relax and unwind surrounded by palm trees as well as views of the Atlas Mountains. If you're looking to kick back, unwind and relax, then you could find no better place.

Breakfast was offered outside by the pool: fresh fruit, pastries, breads, yoghurts, eggs any way and Moroccan specialties like flatbreads or pancakes. The wonderful breakfasts could keep you going all day if you chose to skip lunch. I particularly enjoyed the fresh fruit salad with orange flower water and the fresh orange juice. Likewise dinner was delicious, the tagines were wonderful and we had no problem at all eating at the hotel for the three nights we were there.

As luxurious and elegant at this hotel is, the magic ingredient has to be the staff. The staff here are so warm and friendly and couldn't have done more to make us feel more welcome. They had such a wonderful sense of humour and we enjoyed talking to them everyday, asking questions, trying out our Arabic or French and genuinely having a good time chatting. Nothing ever seemed too much trouble and I think many people there, like us, combined this hotel with a few days in a Riad in the Medina, and so they understand that many guests are really looking to do very little other then swim, enjoy the treatments and some good food. As a result the place is very calm and quiet, you often feel like you’re staying at a private villa and it's lovely because you do find yourself chatting with other guests and exchanging stories about mad excursions into the Souks!

I wouldn't hesitate in returning to the Palais De L'O and would also happily do a trip there on my own. I know the staff would look after me, I'd enjoy the spa and if I had a long weekend free and was in need of a sunshine fix, then at less than 3 and a half hours flight away the Palais De L'O really does come with satisfaction guaranteed. Thank you to Tariq and all the staff for a wonderful stay...we'll be sure to return soon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We have just come back and I had to put finger to keyboard to say how wonderful this place is. Firstly it is a testament to the place that the only critisisms I have are (1) that the peacock from the next door property can be a bit vocal a bit early and (2) that it is about 20 mins from the centre of Marrakesh and about £30 return trip in a cab. The positives are many:
1. This boutique hotel is decorated wonderfully. The lighting and candles are exquisite as are the tables, sofas, paint colours and bathrooms. Think Farrow & Ball paints and modern shabby chic.
2. The staff can't do enough for you and are all very friendly. As it's a bit difficult to find they give everyone a mobile and you are encouraged to use it to order your car service and if the drivers need directions or to call them on the way home to open the gates.
3. The pool and area are perfect - the sunbeds are like double beds with pillows and sunshades. We never had problem getting one and there is always someone around to get you a drink.
4. It feels personal as they never get you to sign for things as they just add it to your room. We only had to tell them the room number once. The bill at the end was accurate.
5. The spa has a large hot jacuzzi and we had both massages and a hamman, both of which were good experiences (the only thing missing was some relaxing music as it was a bit quiet. That's probably only my issue as I am such a talker in such situations it is only the music which stops me gabbling on and actually relaxing).
6. They arrange all car services and reservations for restaurants.
7. The balconies are spacious with good seating.
8. They have their own herb garden growing near the spa which is nice to visit.
9. The food was local and very good as were the wines. They don't have a huge menu but as Gordon Ramsay always seems to say that is a good thing, who am I to argue. The desserts and tagines were particularly good. Breakfast was also a cornucopia of dishes (yoghurt, fruit salad, eggs, pancakes, toast, freshly squeezed OJ - they keep bringing you things until you ask them to please stop).
10. It's quiet and people keep themselves to themselves, so if you're looking for some raucous mate making this isn't the place for you.
11. The pool music is a rotation of morrocan music, classical and one cd which got on our nerves a bit which kept repeating adele and amy winehouse. It's not too loud though and they're happy to change it if you ask.

Tips - you might want to ask for a room not in the main hotel building as that would probably be a bit quieter with a sunnier balcony aspect.
Also don't bother going to Jad Mahal to eat as it's the kind of place where everyone seems keen to be seen there without actually enjoying the experience. Go to Le Comptoir to eat instead.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stayed here in March for four nights...The staff were friendly, the atmosphere was great and I think the rooms were cleaned twice a day as well. The rooms are spacious. I really enjoyed my time here.
There was a group of 14 of us from one company and the staff went out of their way to help
Have the Hammam - My skins was amazingly soft. The massage was average

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed for a week in this lovely hotel its stunningy clean and tidy. the food and service are excellent, the rooms are spacious enough and well decorated

I would recomend this hotel to anyone as it is just fantastic

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Palais de l'O? Share your experiences!