“The Capaldi, Atlas Mountains, Marrakech, Morocco” 5 of 5 stars

The Capaldi
Route d'Amizmiz km39 | Lalla Takerkouste, Marrakech 42202, Morocco   |
Ranked #149 of 1,092 Marrakech B&B and Inns
New Delhi
“The Capaldi, Atlas Mountains, Marrakech, Morocco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

In June of 2013 my wife and I were on an unplanned trip to Morocco.We had done some basic search on the internet for hotels etc but nothing finalized or booked.
Thanks to this we ended up at a gem of a place called The Capaldi, 30 minutes away from Marrakech, at the foothill of the Atlas mountains.
The place is owned and run by a charming British couple, Edward and Tara.
You can get the full details on their website: http://www.thecapaldi.com/the-capaldi/index.php.
It's a great place to get away from it all.
The location is picturesque, the 2 pools are inviting and serviced by a retinue of efficient staff, the spa is definitely worth a visit.There is a cinema and a library to help you pass the hot summer afternoons.
The restaurant serves excellent French cuisine with a twist. A host of herbs, salads and vegetables are sourced from the hotel's gardens.
The overall experience is one of personalized, unhurried luxury. Tara and Edward take a personal hands on approach to the running of the resort and it's a refreshing change to speak with them and get an insight into aspects of Morocco, like it's art and handicrafts, cuisine and customs and activities around the area.
Marrakech is a short 30 minute drive away. One can go there to send a day, visit the madina and see the sights but great to come back and stay at The Capaldi.
I wish them all the very best.

Room Tip: The Junior Garden suite is tastefully appointed and set among flowering gardens and olive grooves
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

The Capaldi is set amongst gently sloping olive groves with great views to the Atlas mountains, which were snow capped when we visited in late March. Our room was very much in the Moroccan style which ochre externals walls and tile floors. The bathrooms are however modern and the a/c works well, though there was little need of it when we were there. Our room was set in a small block of three rooms amidst old olive trees roses. There are two pools - one more open by the main hotel building, and a smaller one with a great covered seating area and a fire that was lit in the brisk March evenings.

The ambience is very peaceful (no children under 12) and there are lots of places to sit, read and relax, inside and outside. Undoubtedly one of the highlights of the Capaldi is the food - home made bread and jams for breakfast, and innovative modern French / Moroccan food at lunch an dinner. A fixed menu for under Dihram 200 is an incredible bargain.

Overall a great place to unwind. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: There are two suites with private pools ... pricy at around Euro 600 but worth it....
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

This is a stunning property set in an olive garden with beautifully decorated rooms and breathtaking views of the mountains. We had initially planned to stay at the Domaine Malika but the owners of Domaine Malika cancelled my booking at the last minute and handled my reservation very unprofessionally. In hindsight this worked out for the best as it led me to Hotel Capaldi. It was only by chance that I came across this property during my search and I have to say it is certainly a gem of a find. The owner Edward is a generous man and will go out of his way to make sure your stay is nothing short of perfect. The staff are very professional and keep the place looking immaculate. The food is certainly the star of the show as the Restaurant Capaldi. My wife and I are both vegetarian and for the 2 nights we stayed at hotel Capaldi the chef specially created 3 course vegetarian menu for us. The food was incredibly delicious and I would highly recommend the restaurant to anyone even if just visiting for the day.

The hotel is less than 30 mins drive from Marrakech this hotel has so much to offer including its own private cinema. The Hammam and massage package is not to be missed from the hotel spa. One of the best in Morocco! loved our stay there and would like to thank Edward and his staff for making our holiday extra special.

Room Tip: Junior suites - spacious and luxurious
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I came here with three friends to celebrate our 40th birthday's. We'd all stayed at their sister hotel (Riad Capaldi) the night before and decided to get away from the hustle and bustle of Marrakech and take time out to relax......and am I glad we did! This is a gorgeous hotel with very friendly and helpful staff. The owners Tara and Ed were an absolute joy and treated us like old friends even though we'd never met. Ed organised everything for us including sand dune buggying (recommended) and a car back into Marrakech on the last night and back again as well as all of our transfers. I would highly recommend staying here and look forward to going back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

After 1 night in their sister Riad in the Medina of Marrakesh, myself and 3 friends travelled to this small hotel. Their riad had been wonderful but nothing prepared us for just how amazing this hotel is. The owners and our hosts Ed and Tara could not do enough for us, I have been lucky enough to see and stay in many beautiful hotels around the world and never have I been so welcomed in such an effortlessly elegant surroundings. The décor is outstanding with outside rooms and fires dotted around the place for you to escape to read or have pre dinner drinks. all of our rooms were large and luxurious. They have a French chief who cooked food that was 'out of this world'. Although it is outside of Marrakesh it is only a 35 minute drive and plenty to do near by, Ed kindly arranged for us to drive in buggies on the dunes close by , great fun. I am already looking in my diary to find a weekend when I can take my husband so that I can share with him what a great experience staying at this hotel is, and next time I want to try out their spa and judging by how great the hotel is it will be amazing x

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Marrakech
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We came to celebrate our wedding anniversary with friends...The Capaldi is fabulous, the attention to detail amazing and absolutely everything is of the highest standard and quality, the food, the rooms, the gardens...fabulous. We will be back...regularly!! Many thanks Ed and Tara for a wonderful mini break, and congratulations on creating such a beautiful place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We came for lunch with two friends with the intention of spending the night and celebrating their wedding anniversary. The mistake was only staying one night.

It’s clear that the young owners of this hotel are not only seasoned travellers and food lovers themselves but understand the fundamental principles of any successful business - “find out what they want, go get it and give it to ‘em”. This is precisely what they have done at The Capaldi with superb taste, serious attention to detail, client comfort, excellent service and a tangible lack of arrogance.

I won't go on about our gorgeous, spacious and well-appointed room with enormous walk in shower and divine linens, or the pools and manicured gardens, or the spa and cinema or the serenity of this heavenly oasis because I want to get to the restaurant and more specifically, the food. The restaurant, like the rest of the hotel, is expertly designed using traditional Moroccan finishes in a modern style. It’s beautifully lit and generously comfortable.

The food…... the food is simply exquisite. Each dish was beautifully presented and mouth-wateringly delectable. Whether it was the freshly baked and toasted bread with perfectly cooked eggs, the vitello tonnato, the carpaccio of jumbo prawns with an almond sorbet or the croustillant of chocolate, every morsel was delicious. That they can offer this gastronomic dining experience with a well thought out selection of wines at such reasonable prices is nothing short of remarkable. It is clearly consistent with the owners’ general ethos which is evident throughout the hotel – abundance. I get it and I love it. And if you know what’s good for you, you will too. Soon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Capaldi? Share your experiences!