“lovely quiet riad in the heart of the medina” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Magellan

Save Saved
You added Riad Magellan to your Saves list
Riad Magellan
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   62 derb el Hammam | Mouassine, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #55 of 1,037 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Brighton, United Kingdom
“lovely quiet riad in the heart of the medina”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We are a family of four with two children aged 13 and 15, and we stayed for 4 nights at this lovely calm riad. The temperature in Marrakech reached 50 degrees at times, and this was the start of our holiday in Morocco. It was fantastic to be able to spend time in the quiet courtyard in between forays in to the hustle and bustle of the medina. The Riad is easy to find once you get your bearings, Philippe was really helpful and welcoming and the night porter Mohammed was lovely . There are not many places nearby that serve alcohol, and a cool beer when we needed it was also very welcome.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

835 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

This was a perfect place to stay during our time in Marrakech. It is situated five minutes away from the main square and the rooms are clean and beautifully decorated. The staff were extremely helpful and considerate and I recommend staying in one evening to have a home cooked meal.

A great oasis in the centre of Marrakech!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Visiting an unknown country, I was rather apprehensive. However, starting at the airport, I was greeted by the courteous driver from Riad Magellan and escorted to the Riad. There, I was invited to sit down for a delicious cup of Moroccan tea. My room was lovely. My first night, I opted to dine in at a delcious home-cooked feast. I particularly like the traditional tadelakt walls in the bathroom. The quiet atmosphere was a nice respite from the souks in the Medina. I enjoyed reading on the rooftop terrace. The Riad manager, Adil, was extremely courteous and helpful. All the staff had a way of taking care of things in the least obtrusive way. When my plans took me back to Marrakech, I was glad they had a room for me and I got to stay at my home away from home again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

A fantastic Riad in central Marrakesh 5 minutes walk from main square and deep inside the medina. Great staff and service, great prices with extremely clean bedrooms and restrooms and a really good breakfast. Highly recommended. Will be back.
+ a fantastic rooftop terrace!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I spent a fantastic couple of weeks at Riad Magellan this June. I have stayed at several places in Marrakech in the past and none of them have exceeded expectations in such a way.
I have never met such accommodating staff who helped me manage my rather fluid schedule. On arrival, a staff member met me in the main square to show me the way.
The rooms are beautifully furnished, with the building having a fantastic ambiance. The location is great, with easy access to the most interesting parts of the city. While located in the bustling medina, once you set foot inside it's like entering a different world, with the city noise disappearing.
The relaxing and romantic atmosphere is perfect for both couples and individuals.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed there for 3 days this week and found the riad absolutely charming. The staff were very friendly and helpful--arranging pickups to and from the airport as well as supplying directions everywhere and arranging a car to take us to Essaouira (recommended).The riad is down some twisting alleyways but soon it is very easy to find--it is very close to the main square being in the heart of the Medina.We had dinner at the riad on two of the nights as it is such a quiet and peaceful place to be after being hassled all day!--the food was excellent. My only quibbles(or suggestions) would be that the showers were rather difficult to normalise(i.e. too hot or too weak)and that it would be a welcome addition if it might be possible to have a cold drink machine somewhere in the raid for the moments when you return from a hot and stressed trip into the souks! Otherwise a perfect place to stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed at the Riad Magellan for 6 nights and I can highly recommend it for an extended stay in Marrakesh. The Riad is conveniently located, and Philippe the owner was very helpful in explaining the geography of the medina meaning that we did not get lost very often, as well as recommending the best places to eat and visit. It is beautifully furnished and we stayed in the Plum room. Dinner was complementary on the first night, and so we were breakfasts every morning. The staff were extremely friendly and made us feel very welcome - thank you!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Magellan? Share your experiences!