“Oasis in the middle of Medina” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Magellan

You added Riad Magellan to your Saves list
Riad Magellan
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   62 derb el Hammam | Mouassine, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #58 of 1,070 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Oakland, California
“Oasis in the middle of Medina”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We spent three nights in December in Riad Magellan and had a wonderful time. The breakfast was great; my daughter loved the orange juice and fresh yoghurt. Phillipe was a great host who showed us how to navigate the medina and even took us on foot to the souk where they sell slippers we were looking for. The dinner at the Riad on the night of our arrival was also worth it. One word of advice would be to spend the 15 euros for the transfer from the airport to the hotel; it would have been impossible for us to find the hotel the first time by ourselves in the maze that is Medina. Start your vacation right by using this service. Also, go to sleep early because the call to prayers from the nearby Mouassine mosque will probably wake you up at 5:30. I thought that the call was beautiful and a complete cultural experience. You will hear this any place you stay in Medina. You could stay at Gueliz to avoid it, but then you would be missing the essence of Marrakech.

This place deserves all the accolades it gets.

Room Tip: Red room was great for a family of three.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

The Riad Magellan is a wonderful oasis in the middle of the Medina of Marrakech. Excellent location, walking distance from the main must see in Marrakech.The service is impeccable and the sfaff very friendly ready to help you with information and practical arrangements. the Riad itself is beautifully decorated with attention to details, definitively it is very good value for money. the room rate includes a nice Moroccan typcal breakfast. My friends and I spent a magical weekend in Marrakech and we will definitifely choose Riad Magellan again next time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We really enjoyed our 4 night stay at Riad Magellan last November. The weather was great and we enjoyed the Riad. Lovely mint tea and great breakfast every morning with delicious home made Moroccan pancakes. It's bit tricky to find so I suggest you pay good attention to the two different ways to get there or memorize one of them really well. We suggest you have someone to pick you up on arrival to avoid getting lost. Apart from that is really well located and and the roof terrace is very pleasant at the end of the day.

Room Tip: We stayed in the blue room that has two single beds, small room but enough for friends or a couple t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Excellent and friendly service, cosy and decorated rooms, very clean and perfectly located. If you need a dinner for a late arrival or a early breakfast, they prepare all you need for you. Bedding, bathrooms and shared areas are comfortable, one just feels..at home.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Deutschland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

This was my second stay at this Riad, and once more it was a fantastic one! Most reviews already sum up all the great things one can say about this little gem. It's clean, service is spot on, the owner Philippe and his team are fantastic hosts, and it's located in a great area. Unfortunately this time my trip ended really bad for me as I got food poisoning from a pick nick at Lake Takerkoust. However Philippe and his manager Adil were extremely supportive and took very good care of me. I felt safe and not home sick at all. After I got back home Philippe even sent an email to check on me, asking if my flight home was ok. It's those little things that make a place memorable.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I just got back from my first solo trip abroad, as well as my first visit to Morocco, and my stay at Riad Magellan definitely help make it a memorable experience. This beautiful guesthouse is nestled in the heart of the hectic maze of streets in the medina, and offers a calm and comfortable break from the wonderful chaos outside. I stayed in the beige room--it was clean and offered more than enough space (the room temperature was perfect, not too hot or cold at night, and the bathroom was nice as well with good water pressure from the shower). The rest of the space was exotic and peaceful, with rose petals floating in a small pool in the middle of the ground floor and a lovely terrace up top. The owner, Phillipe, was very accommodating and helpful (he helped arranged transport to and from the airport, along with a day trip to the Atlas Mountains), and the whole staff was very hospitable. Breakfast (included in the price) was delicious and satisfying. Overall, it was easily one of the best stays abroad I've ever experienced, and I look forward to returning to both Marrakech and Riad Magellan in the near future with some friends in tow.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Riad Magellan is a tranquil oasis in the centre of the Marrakech medina. It has captured the essence of Marrakech – the warmth and hospitality of its people and the exotic character of the Moroccan culture. We might have had a momentary lapse of confidence along the narrow winding lanes to the riad had it not been the friendly assistance of our porter and the fabulous welcome from Adil whose wonderful directions restored our spirit of adventure. The riad is centrally located and is close to the Jamaa el-fna, the souks, palaces and many other sites.

Beautiful breakfasts (and on one evening, an amazing dinner) were served with such attentiveness, discretion and respect that we felt like honoured guests. And after days exploring and sightseeing it was pure pleasure to return to the comfort of the riad where lanterns glowed with candlelight and soft music mingled with the delicate scent of incense.

We very much appreciated the assistance of Philippe and Adil in arranging bookings and day trips and their recommendations were excellent.

A small touch which I loved was the book of Moroccan Tales which I found in my room and which I enjoyed reading during my stay.

Room Tip: The blue room had the big advantage in that there are no steps to negotiate with luggage. A little...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Magellan? Share your experiences!