“Not a 5*” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #672 of 1,054 Marrakech B&B and Inns
London
“Not a 5*”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

For a 5* Riad, I really wasn't impressed with its standards.

GOOD
The staff were extremely welcoming and lovely.
In the heart of the Medina so very close to a great Souk.
The bathroom of our room was charmingly Moroccan.

BAD
- Stayed for 5 nights and did not have one ounce of hot water for a shower.
- Never had new towels. We would have to go to the manager to ask him, realising that even if we placed the used towels in the bath (like in most hotels to imply that they ARE used and we would like new ones) they would simply fold them back up and but them on the rack ready for the next day's use.
- There was no way to lock our rooms when we left each day. Considering the room we stayed in was on the ground floor, one would've hoped that they would provide one.
- The TV only had four channels. Now I know some people might say that you shouldn't need a tv on holiday, but the Olympics were on and not only were there just 4 channels, they were all in German! Considering it's a French & Arabic speaking country, German wouldn't be the language to come to mind.
- Staff's English isn't great either. Thankfully the people I was on holiday with were fluent in French, so that annoyance was easily avoided.

TIPS:
Bring your own shower gel
Lock everything in your suitcase when you go out each day (the cleaner just shoves everything that's left out into a cupboard)
Be cautious of closing/opening times of places in the time of Ramadan.

Hope this helps - have a good trip / bon voyage!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

It's a small riad with a big personality. The rooms are a good size, though the very top room (on the roof terrace) is the smallest. Breakfast is simple but delicious breads, juice and jams etc - and great coffee. It is pretty close to the action but I would book an airport transfer with the hotel as the road it is on is not accessible by car (which is the same, incidentally, for many riads). The staff are great, especially young Simo and his brother, who will look after you during your stay. The free Wifi is great in most of the riad. With rates around 50 euros on travel sites, you cannot go far wrong for somewhere that is clean, pretty and in the medina.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

I took a disabled friend with me for a trip to Morocco and stayed at the Riad Zenith. On arriving I wondered if I had made a mistake as the Riad is right in the heart of the medina and quite a long walk from where the taxi dropped us off. However we took things gently and coped with the location. Because we were not well orientated the first night we got lost finding our way home and were charged several times by street boys who promised to take us back and then abandoned us. My friend was completely exhausted but eventually someone did get us back there.

The person who was mainly there to manage the riad during our stay was more than helpful. He took me to find a cashpoint when we just arrived and served breakfast and generally looked after us.

The room was spacious. The bathroom had a string curtain and no door, which might be ok in some scenarios but I'd have preferred a door when sharing with a friend!

It doesn't come with hotel facilities but we were more interested in a Moroccan experience and onec we had our bearings it was a good location for seeing things.

I would recommend it, but be realistic in your expectations!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Coventry
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

Spent our honeymoon at Riad Zenith, and it was pretty good. I wouldnt say it is at the high end of the Riad scale, but as a mid-ranged place to rest etc away from the craziness outside then it was great. I think we would perhaps spend slightly more and go closer to the action and a more luxurious hotel next time though, but as a comfortable base to explore this amazing city, it was a good introduction. The location, even though it is in the southern medina, is still a bit of a trek from the main square. The emails exchanges before hand were very good and responded to quickly, and the requested and promised taxi collection and drop-off's were very good. The riad itself is very clean and our room was nice, not massive but comfy enough. It was the new room at the top of the riad (Suite Janat, Suite might be pushing it a bit), and would have liked one of the older rooms, and there was no door on the bathroom which took a little getting used to. The room had a good flat screen telly with a few decent channels, and all otwels etc were changed daily and was overall very clean. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was simple, warm bread and cakes etc, with lovely fresh coffee and fresh orange juice, but was just enough to set you up for a day in the madness of marrakech. The guide we used was aranged by the riad and turned out to be a very good way of getting to know the surroundings a bit more. As we were at the 'front' of the riad, the streets below were quite noisy at night with kids playing football and the bikes batting up and down. Overall, would recommend Riad Zenith if you want a comfy base to explore this amazing city. It isnt particularly luxurious compared to another riad we saw inside of, but the staff are very good indeed and it is very clean and tidy and we had a great time.

Room Tip: ask for one of the older rooms
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

I stayed here with a couple of my friends for 3 days and I will go through the good parts about it first before I move onto the bad. Most things about this place were good.
The staff in general is very good(besides the manager). All of them are pleasant to deal with and very accommodating. Breakfast is delicious and presented very well. When you wake up they start making it for you and bring you plates of jam, butter, bread, pound cake as well as mini pitas and things that resemble crepes. They also bring you tea or coffee. The Riad is beautiful, very clean, and has a gorgeous sunny lounge area with comfortable seating and a small pool. The rooms are clean and designed very well with nice furniture and other fixtures. I like the location because it is fairly close to the Bahia Palace so whenever you get lost you can just find the palace and you will know your way home. There is a younger man with curly hair who runs the place some of the days (not the manager), he was extremely helpful. He rushed us a breakfast in the morning to make sure we could eat before we left on our day trip.

Now onto the negative parts of our stay which mostly have to do with the manager. The manager is very easy to point out. He is big, tall, balding and not as pleasant as the rest of the staff.
We were supposed to get a transfer to our Riad from the airport. The manager requested our information days before our trip and it was given to him and he confirmed receiving it but our transfer came over an hour late and this is only after we got someone to call the riad. We waited outside the airport but It was sunny outside so this wasn't so terrible.
The first night we got there the shower broke in a way which stopped water from coming from the top. This made using the shower similar to bathing in an oversize sink. The next day they patched it up where it broke again after use and the day after that the same thing happened. So for the 3 days we were there we only had a shower the last night because I told them we could no longer stay with no shower and they let us shower in another room.

The morning of when we were leaving Marrakech we had to settle our bill. We were ready to eat breakfast and leave but all the time consuming games and difficulty from the manager almost caused us to miss our flight. On the website where we booked our stay it said that the Riad accepted credit card. We told them the night before we would pay by credit card. When we wanted to settle the bill in the morning the manager said the credit card machine no longer worked and that we had to pay by cash. I explained that this was a very large sum of money to expected to be paid by cash and that I would do no such thing and that things like this must be told to us ahead of time. I knew the manager was not telling the truth because I pointed out the credit card machine and he claimed that the line did not work. I told him credit card was the only way we could pay and that he should either fix his machine or get someone else to run the credit card. The manager knew we had to leave soon for our flight so he started wasting time and then asking me questions like "how did you get a discount? I have never seen anyone get a discount on their stay.. I don't understand can you tell me how you got it?) We had gotten a 4% discount on our stay from the website we booked it on. I told him instead of worrying about a 4% discount he should worry about how he can fix his credit card machine. He started becoming more aggressive and bringing up random things to waste time saying things like "you were making noise last night, so now I have to give things to other guests" which was untrue. I explained that no matter what excuses he made up that we would be paying by credit card and that he should stop wasting time. He said ok and to wait a few minutes. We waited a couple minutes and then asked one of the workers where the manager had gone. He said that the manager had left and he would not be back for a while. So the manager just left when we were still trying to settle with him and left it on the shoulders of his workers. He also added an extra fee to our bill for using a credit card. They swiped our credit card but after they tried to delay the process more and more we had no choice but to leave because it did not seem we would make our flight. They already had our credit card information. We left the Riad and caught a taxi. After all the games and delaying one of the workers stopped in front of our taxi with a credit card slip from the machine that now magically worked. I didn't enjoy playing this game of russian roullette but I was glad we won. We somehow ended up catching our flight too.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

Although the riad is nice and the rooms are pretty, it is not a 5 star at all. Too much advertisement for too little: they have only 1 little swimming pool and from the terrace we see nothing at all. Breakfast is nice but the same everyday: a slice of bread, jam, a slice of cake and 2 or 3 little thinks like sweet bread, orange juice and coffee/milk. They say they have a restaurant but actually they have a kitchen. Be careful not to pay any extra charges and do not buy food there (in the city it's way cheaper and way more interesting). Since it is a small place with few rooms, they have few employees so it might be difficult finding someone to give suggestions about the city. Near Place Jemaa El Fna you can find a touristic bus that is much cheaper than the excursions offered by the hotel and that is way more interesting since you are allowed to get in or off the bus as many times as you want in 24 hours. It is a little difficult to find this hotel but after you learn it's quite easy to get to the souks and other interesting places. It is not a bad place but if you are agreeing to pay more for the sake of "5 stars" I would recommend looking for another one.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Florence, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

I stayed at the Riad this November and it was a very pleasant surprice. Nice and charming, only 6 rooms, spacious and clean. The bathroom was really neat, great bathtub. The Riad has a beautiful terrace where we enjoyed our breakfast and a nice and cousy Hammam that you can reserve just for yourself.
Thank you very much to Hafi who has been extremely helpful and kind, always careful in every detail.
Definitely to be recommended for your stay in Marrakech

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Litzy? Share your experiences!