“Best Stay of my trip in Morocco” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
20% off room rate
Ranked #47 of 470 Hotels in Marrakech
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Best Stay of my trip in Morocco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

All I can say about this riad is Superb. Over quality, Best service like you are living in the palace. Mohammed is the very helpful and very nice guy to helping you in this riad. I stayed here for 2 nights and we were very very happy with our best 2 nights in Morocco.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I stayed here last year for a week and had a wonderful time. On arrival, we had a local meal specially prepared for us in a beautiful serene setting in the courtyard. Quality of food was great and service was Rolls Royce. I enjoyed warm and hospitable service from all members of staff throughout my entire stay. Even our overnight tour to Zagora and the desert was very well organised by the hotel. Needless to say, I was absolutely satisfied and would recommend this riad without any reservation.

Note: I had the privilege of staying in the largest room but please note that some of the other rooms are typical of the average riad i.e. not necessarily the most spacious.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My sister and I stayed in Riad Melhoun this spring and loved it. The riad is beautiful and contains traditional Moroccan decoration as seen in the Bahia palace. Our room was delightful and kept clean and attractive throughout our stay. The riad location is very good, close to Medina attractions but peaceful. The staff not only demonstrated great hospitality and thoughtfulness but also assisted with the practicalities. Special thanks to Hicham & Mohammed. The March weather was disappointing but it was fantastic to come back to Riad Melhoun and to be welcomed in by Mohammed who proceeded to light the fire for us and make sure we were comfortable. The breakfasts were delicious and varied each day. We also made use of the riad spa, which was wonderful. Liked Best - the staff and their dedication to making our stay enjoyable. Liked Least - strange smell on entering the Gaya suite. Although even this was much improved with some orange flowers from the pretty roof terrace.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My husband and I are still in awe of the wonderful experience we had in Marrakech. Riad Melhoun and the wonderful staff played a large part in this. We were taken so well care of from the airport pick-up to the drop-off. Mohammed and his staff are absolutely amazing in his service mindedness. He helped us with everything from maps to booking of food classes and spa treatments. The riad is beautiful and well kept. The pictures don`t really do it justice. And the food is just AMAZING. We actually had dinner there every night of our stay and couldn`t have been happier. I went to bed dreaming about the lovely breakfast and finished breakfast looking forward to dinner. We had a small issue with an overbooking of our suite but this was handled professionally and kindly and it did in no way ruin our stay. I would also like to recommend the hammam and massage. We thoroughly enjoyed it. If you are lucky enough to visit the beautiful city of Marrakech you would be smart to book this Riad. We will most definitely be going back. Thank you! - Linda & Carl

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We chose to stay at the Riad Melhoun mostly based on the incredibly positive reviews and accounts of the staff and also the gorgeous decoration shown in the photos. I’m so glad we did and even with these expectations we were blown away by how welcoming and beautiful a place it was to stay.

Typically we stay in very simple budget accommodation and just use it as a base to explore wherever we are holidaying, and feel like it’s a waste to fly all the way to another country only to spend most of your time in a hotel or beside a pool. However this Riad was a perfect middle ground for us, as feeling so traditionally Moroccan and personal we felt even when relaxing here we were still experiencing authentic Marrakech. Also being fairly small and intimate the staff are always around should you have any questions or problems, but you also feel completely free just to relax without any intrusion or needing to fit to any timetable. You are asked and made to feel truly at home.

Location: the Riad is perfectly situated for exploring the medina and main sites and attractions around it. We spend most of our time exploring the souks and Jemaa el Fna which are minutes away, and the Palace Badii and Bahai are also a very short walk. For convenience I suggest arranging a taxi collection from the airport through the Riad. While it is close to the Jemaa el Fna unless you know exactly where it is it could take a very long time to find. There are plenty of taxis outside the airport but they will probably not know where it is (our driver needed to ask a few people about the address we had written down) – and they will only take you to the nearest drop off and then you will likely be approached by someone offering to guide you who will typically expect payment. Despite being so central it is incredibly quiet, a real tranquil paradise to come back to after the souks and scooters.

Quality of Sleep: The rooms are decorated to a very high standard and kept immaculate but also retain that sense of homeliness. As someone very sensitive to dust and feather allergies I had no trouble getting a fantastic night’s sleep every night and wasn’t disturbed by noise despite our room (Lunja) being on the roof. I only heard the pre-dawn call to prayer on the first night.

Facilities: Some websites and blogs suggest taking toilet paper or a sink plug when visiting Marrakech but this wasn’t required at Riad Melhoun. They provide really lovely Shampoo and Shower gel, plenty of towels, and an extra blanket. If you need a hairdryer just ask a member of staff. There is an A/C unit but we didn’t need to use it. Our room had a small built in wardrobe with plenty of space for our luggage and hanging our clothes and also housed a small safe. There is a also a Hammam which comprises of a room with two massage beds and a second spa room which can be heated on request with enough given notice – sadly we didn’t end up making use of it this time so I can’t comment much more on it.

Room: We stayed in Lunja which is on the roof so really convenient for relaxing in the sunshine and just being able to pop in and out. It was really peaceful and we were never disturbed by people breakfasting on the roof or other comings and goings. The other rooms are all situated around the central courtyard/pool with one on the ground floor and six on the first floor. Our room was a modest size but absolutely fine for us – however I would note that while most rooms have a separate bathroom with a door the Lunja does not. We guessed this might be the case from the photos provided and didn’t have much problem with it but if you’re not quite comfortable with that arrangement then opt for another room.

Food: Breakfast is provided and was served whenever we happened to get up. The quality, variety and amount you are given is incredible. It was absolutely delicious and set us up for the whole day so we often didn’t eat anything until the evening. Typical example would be juice, coffee, bread and jams, a small plate of pancakes, slices of cake, a honey polenta style cake, and some yogurt with fruit. I also highly recommend having at least one evening meal at the Riad. Most nights we ate at the stalls in the Jemaa el Fna but if you want to treat yourself the Riad will 99% of the time will be a better price and quality than restaurants. We had dinner here on the first night, it was so much food we couldn’t eat all of it and included a really nice salad and wonderful filo/pancake dessert and cost us 20 euros each. We also visited a restaurant recommended in a guide book later in the week which was absolutely disgusting.

Staff: The staff at Riad Melhoun is what makes it such a genuine pleasure to stay here as is evident from previous reviews too. We were greeted by Youseff (the manager) when we arrived, who then introduced each member of staff to us which was very humbling. We were given a tour of the Riad and Youssef explained the recent renovation, the style of traditional Riads, and how we should feel absolutely at home. We were then brought tea and were told a little about Marrakech and its historical and cultural background, and the things to see around the city. It was an incredible introduction and really set the tone for our stay, as never have I really experienced such personal service. Mohammed and Younes were always around if we needed absolutely anything at all. They are both really professional but also genuinely welcoming and kind, you don’t feel like it’s just their job. Mohammed was always especially friendly asking how we were and was really happy to stop and talk. Regrettably we only speak English so occasionally explanations were difficult, but for the most part this was absolutely no trouble at all, we only felt bad that we couldn’t talk more with Younes as he is primarily fluent in Arabic and French I think, although learning English and German soon. We promised to try and learn some French before our next visit. Also a huge thank you to the two girls we met (Hadija and I cannot remember the other name I’m sorry to say!) who prepared the most wonderful breakfasts and meals and took such care cleaning our room and making our bed differently each day, everything was always perfect.

Tips/extras: There was a small mix up when it came to paying the bill at the end of our stay, as I had only written down the booking details and had no printed confirmation and Youssef was away. There was a discrepancy between our booked price and the one presented, and with language barriers this was quite difficult to resolve quickly, so I recommend bringing along a print out of your booking confirmation just to make things easier as we should have done. I will also note there have been a few comments on here about being charged for things? When we got the bill we had only been charged for our room, the meal we had and city tax, but not for Mint Tea or anything surprising.
One especially lovely part of our stay was learning to make Mint tea exactly as they do. In conversation one evening Youssef offered for us to be shown how to make it, and the next morning we were invited to the kitchen and had the process explained and then had a go ourselves and Mohammed even offered to film it on my camera. It was just a very personal and unique experience and shows the contrast to staying in a soulless hotel complex.

The personality and charm really makes Riad Melhoun stand out and without a doubt is where we will stay on future visits as we still have lots to see and do.
To stay somewhere quite so beautiful and quiet, with such attentive and friendly staff, in a small homely yet traditional Riad you could not get a better deal.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2014

I was here with my childeren in springtime. It was one big nice experience. The rooms of the riad are very nice and clean. The breakfast was extraordinair and the service was really friendly en good. Next time we will certainly come back.

• Stayed May 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2014

It's beautiful place and I enjoyed my stay there everything was perfect the service the staff and food. It was an amazing experience. I certainly gonna come back. it would be my usual place to go on my vacation

• Stayed July 2014

Been to Riad Melhoun? Share your experiences!