“good but you will suffer from dirt” 4 of 5 stars

Activities: Shopping, People-watching
Kuwait City, Kuwait
368 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 271 helpful votes
“good but you will suffer from dirt”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

the location very good easy to see & find in marrakich.

i has been visited the Marrakech Souk everyday when i was in Marrakech.

the good thing
nice to walk.
old building.
great Hammams.
good fresh juice.
amazing hand crafts.
good place to meet tourist especially in cafes.
i enjoy walk in narrow streets.
i enjoy see African hand craft .

bad thing
1-dirt around souk .
2-awaful smell in the souk.
3-pick pocket.
4-beggars
5-most of people want your money.
6-some people unfriendly & aggressive with you.
7-the price too too expensive for tourist you should be good in bargain.
8-language big problem for me some people in some shops do not speak Arabic or English or german well they speak french or fast Arabic with french.

you should go.

• Turkish first
Oslo, Norway
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 106 helpful votes
“How to survive the souk..read here”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

I went to the souk 4 times in my 5 day stay. Once alone with some knowledge of Arabic, 2nd trip 2 of us, and the final trip 3 of us with one of our guys fluent in French.
Now the first thing you need to know about any souk, this is not a hustle free zone and every action taken by you in a souk will generate a reaction by the locals. There are good, bad, and plain weird smells. The sights are good but there will be crowds and people trying to hustle you for money or to buy something.
Survival tips:
Shopping: You will need good bargaining skills, whatever they offer as a price drop it down by 50% and then negotiate and you might agree on something that works out to be a 20-40% discount. Be prepared to walk away when negotiations are slow. Have an idea and plan of what you need before going into the souk as this is not a place to browse and make up your mind.

Navigation: This place is a maze and therefore download the map to your iphone or android device. Enable GPS so you know your location on this map. Set a insertion and extraction point if going in separate groups. Never pull a paper map out as that is setting you up as a target for hustlers. (worse case scenario: if lost, tired, frustrated, battery low, map on phone has failed to load, and want to find your way out, fine a bazaar staff member and negotiate a price with him, usually 50-100 dirham for a guided path to the taxi stand or main square.

Food: The food market looks great and smells great, the slow cooked lamb dish is a must :) The orange juice for 4 dirham is great as well. Skip the salad and focus on cooked food.

Chill Zones from the insanity: There are many roof top bars that can provide an escape from the chaos. (Le Salama is one of the great restaurants here)

Attitude: Being polite here works with some people so first approach is be polite. Words like (La_Shukran, Non merci) should do the trick. Next level is the tough look into the eyes and say(Bas/khalas, assez, s'en aller), followed by Ma Salam ,au revoir). The above in Arabic and French should save you. Words are (No thanks, enough/finished/go away, goodbye).

Warnings: If you fear snakes then once you hear the snake songs with flutes etc You are in the zone usually in the main square where the food stalls are. Monkeys are here as well. The trick they use here is a snake around the neck and then ask for money to take it off and you might get a photo with it or selfie if you are comfortable around it.

Theft: Not a issue as the Marrakech people police this themselves and we saw a man grab a ladies bag only to have a screaming lady and a mob of 40-70 chasing him and catching him. The police got to him quite quick before the mob went crazy.

Conclusion: Is it worth the trip into the souk, yes if you can handle the hustlers and hustle them yourself. You will find good deals. If the above tips scare you and lots of people around you is uncomfortable then stay in the main square instead of heading into the deep with the narrow streets etc A guide may be useful if you want to go deep into the maze.

Visited August 2014
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“It was so great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

I was in the old souk Marrakech with my friend. It was so fun, we are shopping for the leather, we show the attraction of the cobra snake and drink very fresh juice and it was so cheap.. We also visiting the restaurant in side the souk in upstairs and we can see old souk from the top.. We eat tajine dajaj (tajine chicken), cous cous, tajine lamb. Which is traditional Moroccan food. Me and my friend was enjoying the time so much until we are so tired.. But we don't have much time because we have to travel to another city after we stay 3 days in Marrakech, we continue to agadir, Rabat, Casablanca.

Chislehurst, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Hated being hassled by Traders”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

If you stop to look at anything or acknowledge their 'hallos' the traders are all over you like a rash. It is impossible to wander around in peace so we ended up not buying anything and making an early exit.

Visited March 2014
middlesex
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“7th time there, & it gets worse each time!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

Me and my husband travel to Morrocco each year, sometimes we even have the kids with us, but this time I really have to say I had it!! Each and every one was out to rip me off! All I did was get ripped off the whole holiday. From the shopkeepers to the taxi drivers, Hammams, hotel staff, to beggars on the street, everyone took a little piece of me, and i'm done. Please do not get me wrong, I love morroccan culture & design & also happen to be a devout muslim, but I just cannot believe how people can live with themselves ripping other innocent people off all day. The souk is just about the best place to be ripped off, people just take one look at me and before I know it I've spent hundreds of dirhams. Morrocco just isn't the same anymore, not like it was when we used to visit 6-7 years ago. I look abit well off than others too, but am sad that there are absoloutely no morals left in morrocco. I stuck to the newer part of marrakech in the end, the prices are fixed there and just left tips for waiters etc. All in all, I am now looking for a new location to visit every year, where I can be me and NOT get ripped off. I have some serious searching to do!! Good luck to all!! :)

Visited August 2014