The souks were by far the best part of Marrakech and you can have a great time as long as you understand the rules.
1. If you want something, you will need to pay. This includes taking photos or having someone guide you out of the maze, it won't be much and agree a price beforehand.
2. Haggle. Decide how much you want to pay, then offer half. If the shopkeeper refuses then say no and start to walk away. They will try and make you feel guilty, but this is part of the game. Remember - they wouldn't sell it to you if it was under cost so don't believe that line!
3. Don't stress out about getting 'ripped off'. Decide how much the item is worth to you. If you get it for that price or below, who cares what others pay?!
4. Say no. If you aren't interested, say no (and only the word 'no') firmly. Walk away and refuse to make eye contact. They will leave you alone.
5. If you are a woman alone, wear a ring and mention in conversation that you are married. This carries a lot of weight in Marrakech - I was travelling with a girlfriend and it was amazing how fast shopkeepers back off when you casually say 'my husband wouldn't approve of that!'
If you own or manage Marrakech Souk, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.