“Yes, it stinks, it's a tannery! Still worth a visit” 4 of 5 stars

Type: Neighborhoods, Factory Tours, Cultural
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Leather tanning is the major industry in the city. It’s definitely worth a walk through this neighborhood.
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
“Yes, it stinks, it's a tannery! Still worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Not sure how anyone can mark the tanneries down, especially for the smell ! It's a tannery ! You can't expect it to smell of roses and to have a champagne welcome and red carpet on arrival. If you want to see how leather is cured and how some Maroccons have to work then go and see it, if you don't think you can cope with that, then don't. It stinks to high heaven, the men will go on at you to go in the shops and you will get pestered all the way there by someone wanting to 'help' you. If you want to go then my advise would be the following, head for Bab Debbagh gate at the edge of the city, you can easily walk it from Jemaa El Fna in about 25 minutes, you really don't need a taxi, the tanneries are right at this gate. Literally ignore anyone that offers help. Go the the tannery right by the gate, offer to pay 10 Dirhams per person and no more for a look around, that really is plenty and all we paid for 4 people. When you're done and have got your photos (10-15 minutes), say thank you very much and go. Don't go into the shops, they are expensive and the leather stinks so bad and the dyes come out ect, etc (things I've read on other reviews). If you go into the shops they can pester you for even more money. Worth a visit

Visited May 2013

Trois-Rivieres, Canada
20 attraction reviews
“Definitely worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

As the whole experience in Marrakech yes you will be pressurized into buying something ( expensive). Yes people are lying to you, yes they will take all means to get you there false guide, caleches drivers etc...yes they will ask for dirhams constantly, but this is no different from the souks, excursions, shops everywhere in Marrakech. The difference here is that by visiting the tanneries you are visiting the middle ages; experiencing odors and colors strong and vivid. It is like living the beginning of the book " le Parfum" from Suskind. A very different experience from the western world...

Visited May 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Hassle-free tanneries experience!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I read all of the reviews here before going to the tanneries and I have to say my friend and I (both female), did not experience any of the trouble mentioned in previous reviews. It was early in the morning (around 8am) and we were originally looking to make our way to the south of the medina and asked a man near djemma el-fna for help. He then told us about the special day of the Berbers at the tanneries (blah blah) story, which everyone here seems to mention on here and my friend (who speaks French), agreed to follow, with me very apprehensive and thinking we were being led into a pit of skulduggery!
He said he didn't expect any money for showing us the way. We followed this guy for about 5-10 minutes through winding streets, but I was careful to take photos of/ take note of landmarks so we could easily find our way back.
We got to the tanneries and were handed over to a guy who was waiting at the door with the mint leaves. To be completely honest, the smell is not that bad. I didn't need the mint once. Yes, it is unpleasant, but I've smelt much worse on English farms!
The "guide" within the tanneries rushed us through a little tour, of which I took in very little and then showed us up some stairs to the shop, where we were handed over to the proprietor, who stressed there was no pressure to buy. And lo and behold, there was actually no pressure to buy. The goods here did look of a better quality than those in the souks and the proprietor said the price was fixed. He just explained how things were made and showed us his shop. We thanked him and then he showed us to another lady's shop and after looking round, we left. I couldn't believe it- we actually survived the tanneries and got a free branch of mint to go with it!

As we exited, the "guide" and the guy who had shown us to the tanneries were waiting and asked my friend for a little tip. He wanted 100 dirhams, but my friend basically laughed and told him he wasn't getting that. She gave them 10 dirhams each, but it didn't feel like they would have threatened us or insulted us if we hadn't given them anything.
Maybe it depends on the "guides" you get, as to how aggressive they are with the demands for money. If you are young, it might help to tell people you are a student- that way it is assumed you don't have much money to spend on their expensive leather goods!
I would say the tanneries are worth visiting just because it is something different to see. I would have regretted not experiencing it. However, it is not the most exciting thing to see in Marrakech!

Yardley Gobion, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
“Just Don't!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

From our experience and those of other tourists that we met, the only way anyone went here was because they were told that they were going to see something else--normally the last day of a Berber festival in a square somewhere, before they return to the mountains---utter tripe! We arrived following our 'helpful' passer-by and got as far as the entrance. A peek inside and one sniff said it all---disgusting!! No wonder they had to con us to get us there. The smell made us both feel sick, in spite of the bunch of mint thrust at us at the entrance! We left very quickly. There are so many amazing and beautiful things to see and smell in Marrakech, why anyone would bother with the tanneries is beyond belief!!

Maastricht, The Netherlands
“Highly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

The tanneries in Marrakech are a must-see in this city. Ofcourse the place smells that is part of the experience and yes they give you mint if you find it that overbearing. In Fes you are just taken to a rooftop to overlook the tannery and hear about all the processes from above, but in Marrakech you are walked through the actual tannery and thus the smell is more confronting but it is such a brilliant experience to see everything happening in front of you. I don't know why people would complain about such a great experience.