“decent hotel - but a few things to be aware of” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Sherazade
Derb Djama 3 t Riad Zitoun L'Kedim, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #225 of 471 Hotels in Marrakech
Brooklyn, New York
“decent hotel - but a few things to be aware of”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

I feel torn with how to review this hotel. On one hand, it is very centrally located - only a few minutes walk from the central square where the night market happens - but due to that it is a bit tricky to find. Also, I was unaware that the hotel was a cash only place - having reserved our night on Booking.com, I thought we could pay using a credit card once we arrived. We found that not to be the case, and the hotel really only wanted Euros or MAD, and we had arrived from London (before that from the USA) so all we had was US$. After some discussion and math, we were able to pay using our US money, but I thought I would be sure other travelers are aware of this. The room we were put in was up on the second floor and was larger than some others that the hotel manager showed us. Sadly, it smelled pretty terribly of cat urine being covered by the smell of potpouri or incense. In the middle of the night there were cats howling outside and of course the morning prayer begins near sunrise, so needless to say we didn't get much sleep. The breakfast buffet was nicely appointed and you could sit on the roof terrace which was pleasant. Again, for the money, it is fine, and it is filled with traditional Moroccan furnishings which makes it seem more home-y than others.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Although we had some trouble at first to find the hotel, Sherazade is perfectly located in the centre of Marrakech close to the big place Jemma el Fna. The hotel is a beautiful riad, has rooms at all prices and offers an amazing breakfast buffet. Our room was small but comfortable and clean, nicely decorated in maroccain style. The staff was very friendly, always had an open ear for our questions and made us feel at home. Especially to mention a moroccain girl named Dounia who worked at the reception, she helped us organize our trip, made us feel welcome from the very start and really always had a smile for us. We will defenetly come again, Marrakech is an amazing city with so much to discover!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

My stay at Sherazade didn't get off to the best start - despite this, I am still unequivocally giving it an "excellent" rating. My rough start happened due to some miscommunication regarding an airport pick-up. I was a single woman traveling alone, arriving in Marrakech by air at 9:00 on a Saturday night. I arranged through the hotel to have a driver pick me up….I'm not sure what happened, but no driver appeared even after waiting over an hour. I hired a taxi (a board outside the airport lists the established fares for taxis to/from the airport so check this out before bargaining with taxi drivers). The taxi dropped me off as near the square as they could get. From there I hired a local young man to walk me to the Hotel Sherazade as I had no hope of finding it on my own that first night. I was a bit stressed upon arrival at the hotel, but was greeted by a nice man who apologized for the confusion and kindly got me some water and showed me to my room. I never found out what the mix-up was, but "all's well that end's well" and my stay at Hotel Sherazade couldn't have been better. Bachiir, at the front desk became my "personal assistant" during my 5 day stay in Marrakech. He is an exceptional young man who speaks 5 or more languages and is very well-organized. He made recommendations and arranged everything I needed; a visit to a local Hammam, a group day trip to the Kasbah Ait ben Haddou, a camel ride in Palmerie. The hotel is beautiful, full of character and has many nice common spaces for sitting, reading, sunning and relaxing. My room (20) was charming, had a private bath and was big enough for 3, for about $60 per night. There are less expensive rooms available, but this was the only one available for my entire stay. (book ahead during high season). The hotel is in a great location in one of the "derbs" (alleys) about 100 meters from the Djemaa el-Fnaa square. Breakfast (extra cost) was good and could be enjoyed on the beautiful patio. The hotel was safe and secure; I felt very comfortable staying here as a single woman. Overall, the hotel is quiet but there is a minaret right next door with a 5:00 am call to prayer over the loudspeaker - I found it an enjoyable part of the overall atmosphere, but recommend earplugs if you are a light sleeper. I found the hotel to be a peaceful, charming space right in the heart of the fascinating, albeit sometimes crazy, medina of Marrakech.

Room Tip: I had room 20 all to myself, although it had a queen size bed and another single bed so could easily...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

We are three American women in our late 50's that just came back from a week in Marrakech. What a trip we had! We stayed three nights at the Sherazade Riad. You won't be disappointed. The rooms were amazing. The breakfast was delicious. The staff were fantastic. It's located close to the square so walking is easy and you won't get lost. There are many wonderful places to sit inside the hotel that are really outside. It has a feeling of a hostel where you could meet many other travelers in these common spaces.

We wanted to get outside of the city so the hotel night manager (Said) recommended Mohamed Ait Ben Chekh (earthkipe@yahoo.fr) as a safe and very knowledgeable driver (a lawyer that could not get a job - perfect English) for our trip through the mountains (yes, don't be afraid to take the Tizi-n-Tichka pass) to the town of Zagora where we took a camel into the desert, slept in a tent, had great food and listened to wonderful Berber music. The night stars were brilliant.

I wasn't sure I wanted to do it because it's for the tourist, but it's worth it. Employment for the camel drivers and a chance to really be in the desert and listen to the quiet. Mohamed was a wealth of information about Morocco. In just one short week, I feel that I know so much more about the country (he's Berber) than what I've read in the past 3 months.

Enjoy!

(p.s. I don't ever eat street food but the food in the square you can eat and not get sick. It's inexpensive and good. It's a happening place and you're part of it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Brighton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

We have stayed quite a few times over the years in Hotel Sherazade - it's the one we come back to. Why? Perfect location - a couple of minutes walk from the square. Easy to find - in the Medina down a quiet street. The staff are friendly and helpful. The terrace is beautiful. You can sit out and look over the rooftops to the mountains. As much bread, eggs, jam and coffee as you can eat for breakfast. Yes - you can save a few dirhams by going to the square to eat, but you're paying for the convenience and the peace and quiet.

Reading the other reviews here before posting my own has made it clear to me that some people - particularly those new to Morocco - could do with some basic info before choosing to stay in this lovely place. So here goes: firstly, this is an old house. In fact it's two old houses joined together. That means there's quite a few stairs - so if you need a lift or can't carry your own luggage this probably isn't the place for you.

Secondly, the Sherazade is right in the middle of the city, so you will - emphasis - hear the call to prayer. No good moaning about it - put your ear plugs in or just get up early.

Thirdly, there are a whole range of rooms, which you can see by checking the hotel's own website. You can book the one you want by emailing the hotel direct via their website. Prices range from 180 DH-690DH, excl breakfast, depending on the room. There seems to be a bit of room for negotiation if they're not busy. Which room you choose will depend on the season. The lower rooms which look out on the internal courtyard will be cooler in summer. Personally I like the small rooms on the terrace, but then I don't mind a shared bathroom and I'm never here in the height of the summer.

Lastly, this is Morocco so you will be a target for touts, especially if you have just arrived and are getting your bearings. Print out a map before you go and have a look at Google maps. No need to book a taxi - there are plenty at the airport or a regular bus which is marginally cheaper. They'll drop you at far side of the entrance to the square then you'll have to walk across and down Rue Zitoune. If you choose to employ a man with a handcart to carry your luggage he'll want paying.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Krakow, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

I've already been in Marrakech few times, but never felt so welcome like when I stayed in Hotel Sherazade. The atmosphere of this place makes you feel like at home. The staff is very welcoming and very helpful.

I have been in Morocco many times, in many cities, many hotels, hostels and riads, but for the first time me and my group, we were welcomed with delicious mint tea, that was served by tres sympathique & charming Bachir.

We were tired after the whole day in travel and the tea with welcoming smiles and incredible atmosphere of this place made as LOVE it from the first sight!

I can recommend Hotel Sherazade to those who are looking peaceful and relaxing place and wanna be in the medina in the same time.

Riad itself is a piece of art. Every element of decoration gives you this real Moroccan magic atmosphere. Every corner is small piece of art. Rooms are comfortable and prepared with taste. And what was very important for us (february)- warm in cold winter nights.

Bathrooms are very clean and comfortable. The water is hot and everything is working. In case you need something the staff will provide you any kind of help and advice you want.

We wanted to say a big "CHOKRAN" to Bachir especially who take care of our group and was our guide for the evenings in medina.

Lovely place with wonderful spirit. I would come back to Marrakech just to stay there again.

The best hotel we stayed during our Moroccan adventure <3

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Ruti, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

I spent a great time in that Riad. Reliable and friendly stuff. Thank you Bashir for going to the Hamam with my son. He felt so safe and secure with you! Thank you Said for helping me with my severe problems with people from outside. Lovely place, worth coming back.

• Stayed December 2013

Been to Hotel Sherazade? Share your experiences!