“Home away from home” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #237 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
E Longmeadow, MA
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I've stayed at the Hotel Sherazade 3 times and it's been a delight each time. The rooms are small, but well decorated and the courtyards and rooftop terrace are a lovely place to relax. The staff was so friendly and helpful too. I especially loved the harrira soup that they made for me by request every night - yummy!! It's very conveniently located to Jemma el Fna and the medina but is far enough so that it's quiet in the hotel. I hope to return to Morocco within the next year and will absolutely stay here!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

132 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We have been coming to Sherazade for about 15 years and have aways found it to be welcoming, clean and super convenient. The best location for the big square.
Very pretty, if slightly tired, traditional Moroccan decor. Super roof terrace with lots of plants.
Very helpful staff.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: All are fine.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I pre-booked a room in this lovely riad and I didn't regrate it. I actually stayed 4 more nights because I liked the place and it was also a great value too.

I stayed in cheap rooms - 180 DH room with shared bathroom, and 220 DH room with it's own bathroom. The hotel is in a great location, not more than 5 minutes walk from the Main Square.
The shared bathroom was clean and had hot water all the time!!

The roof terrace is great just to chill out after a long day walk in the Medina.

Staff has been really helpful. I had many questions and they always gave me great and useful advises about Marrakesh.

I would recommend to bring your earplugs if you are a light sleeper. The mosque next to the riad can be a bit noisy early in the morning because of the loudspeaker calling prayers.

This is great raid and I can only recommend it anybody!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed at Sherazade on 4 occasions during my 5 week stay in Morocco. About 9 nights in total.

During this time I stayed in 2 different rooms, both on the upstairs terrace with shared bathroom. The price was 180dr.

Both rooms were pleasant. There was a dresser with mirror. Rugs on the stone floor. Heater provided (came in useful in January.) One room had a metal framed bed and the other a nicer wooden one. They were numbers 12 and 14 if I remember rightly.

The shared bathroom were kept very clean. On one occasion there was no toilet paper but this was soon rectified when I mentioned it. For a while on my first stay they did not refill the hand soap but rather added water to the dregs that were left. Not ideal.

Wifi signal was good everywhere apart from one evening when it was unusable apart from right next to the box. This was the strongest signal I encountered anywhere in Morocco.

The 2 level terrace was a very nice place to relax. There were tables, sun loungers and a covered chill out area with cushions. From the upper part there were good views across the rooftops to the central mosque and also of the distant mountains.

On the lower level was a room where breakfast was served (50dr.) The best breakfast I found on my trip. Included in this buffet were: eggs, 2 types of bread, various pastry type things, spreadable cheeses, jams, yoghurts, tea, juice and coffee. Among other things. Eat as much as you like. Until 11am. I gather dinner was also served upon request but I never ate there. You could order coffee and tea anytime of day and they also had coke and bottled water.

The hotel is located on a quiet side street less than 5 minutes from the madness of the Jemaa El Fna but felt a world away. Incidentally, if you're a light sleeper bring earplugs unless you actually want a 5am wake up call from the nearby loudspeaker issuing the call to prayer.

The staff were a friendly and welcoming bunch. Arafat, who worked on reception in the evenings was a real credit to the place and should be singled out for special praise. He was friendly and attentive and always asked me how my day had been and what my plans were. His English was the best of anyone I met in Morocco (many 'bests in Morocco in this review I know.) Karim also brightened my stay there a great deal. He made me feel like a true guest rather than just a customer.

When in Marrakech do not look any further than Hotel Sherazade. I will undoubtedly return there one day.

In addition: I booked a 3 day trip to the Sahara through Sahara Expeditions on Arafat's recommendation. I was happy with all aspects of the trip although the short days in January meant we did not see much of Dades gorge and darkeness set in in the desert almost as soon as we arrived. Beware another agency a few doors down from S.E. They lied right to my face and told me that they were Sahara Expeditions.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Pretty riad, not too fancy and some basic rooms. We stayed in rooms 1 and 24 which are tiny but then the price does reflect that. Room 1 was less pretty but more comfortable than 24.
Staff were friendly and helpful.
Only drawback is breakfast. At 50 dm per person it is expensive (and not great), you can get better for 30 dm on the Jemaa el Fna with views over the square (les premises).
The location was great. You will be very close to the main square and won't need to go down dark alleys.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Rotorua, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

My title says it all. Only a couple of minutes walk from the main square. Staff had great English and were willing to help in any way they could. We also switched our reservations around a bit before arriving and they were very understanding and accommodating. Would easily recommend.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I fell in love with this place. The design is amazing and the moroccan staff working there super friendly even if some of the members don't speak english. They were always smiling and polite. It would be perfect if the guest would get the key to the front door while going back late at night. I felt really bad waking up the poor man in the reception. I was out one night with my friends who were staying at another hotel. I felt a little bit like a teenager coming back home late at night. Waiting for someone to open me the door... Would be more comfortable if there was a key to open the door for yourself. Dont forget ear plugs as if you are not used to the noise and the Mosques you will be waking up starting from 4am. You should defenitely check out the roof. Great space to distance yourself from the city and relax. very good idea.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Sherazade? Share your experiences!