“MAGIC IN THE MEDINA!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #239 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Adelaide, Australia
“MAGIC IN THE MEDINA!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

My husband and I recently shared an amazing two weeks in Hotel Sherazade with our friends and family for our wedding. We can not praise Hotel Sherazade enough.

We arrived a week before the wedding, to a room with fresh roses on the pillow. Following us, our guests slowly started to arrive from Australia, the UK and Switzerland until we filled the hotel exclusively. The staff at Sherazade went above and beyond anything we dreamed or expected in helping us to coordinate the 3 days of events- from a group of 40 women attending a Hammam, bus trips out of town for a 'bucks day' and a rooftop welcome dinner complete with a sea of red carpets, candles, lanterns. They also allowed us to have a ring blessing ceremony on the rooftop the following evening, again 1001 nights Arabian style and an incredibly fun henna session surrounding one of the courtyard gardens. They set up a sound system, played fantastic Moroccan music, even the housekeeping ladies joined in and started dancing and singing.

The food was absolutely incredible, many of us found the welcome dinner to be the best meal we had eaten in Morocco. The 3 course welcome dinner was all cooked in the modest kitchen on the terrace (for 65 people). Each morning we shared breakfast on the terrace in the morning sun-fresh juice, boiled eggs, great coffee (not instant coffee, but great great coffee) a variety of breads, spanish onion, fresh tomatoes....

Over the course of the two weeks my husband and I stayed, and our family and friends who stayed for a variety of lengths with us on either side of the 3 official wedding days, the staff became also like family to us all. Apart from their service being impeccable, they also joined us in the wedding celebrations, impromptu singing and dancing (think Moroccan yodelling and dancing with plates of teaglasses on their heads- all impromptu and completely surprised us!). Every single of member of staff, from reception, housekeeping, kitchen, and management are to be applauded.

The rooms are gorgeous, comfortable and authentic. Some are big, some are small, but all are clean, comfy and safe. There is a range of rooms, great for families with children, great for couples or great for backpackers.

If you are thinking of having an event in Marrakesh, Sherazade is more than capable of pulling it off with more surprises, dedication and love than you would expect. We will certainly be back.

*Special thanks to Loubna M. S, who spent countless hours helping us, shopping with us and laughing with us. You now have a family in Australia and are welcome in our homes any time you like, Inshallah!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

132 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
Portsmouth, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for two nights. The room was very nice, not huge but large enough. The bathroom was also very nice. I've lived and traveled in Morocco for a total of seven months, always staying in decent hotel (on a student budget) and this was the first hotel I had ever been in that provided a hair dryer! The two courtyards are lovely. We stayed in room 16 which was a little tricky to get to, but it only added to the adventure that is Marrakech. In the heat of summer the AC kept our room nice and cool, a welcome retreat from the heat of the city. Overall I highly recommend this hotel!

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

Stayed here in 2007 and again June 2011- Great hotel and helpful staff

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Park City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

Planning in trip to Morocco was slightly daunting as it was my first solo trip and Marrakech would be my first destination. Everything I had read about Marrakech was a little overwhelming. I wanted to make sure whichever hotel I booked would be comfortable while not blowing my budget. I had Hotel Sherazade reserve a taxi for my arrival. Although, my plane was a few hours late the taxi driver was waiting outside the airport upon my arrival. He walked me to the hotel, so I didn't have to navigate the medina on my own. My room was on the terrace level with a shared bath. The room as well as the bathrooms were great, very comfortable and clean. The optional breakfast (50 dh) is overpriced in my opinion. You can walk to the Djemaa el-Fna and have pretty much the same thing for less than half the price (18 dh). There is an upper terrace that is a great place to go when you tire of the craziness of the medina. I was so content at the Hotel Sherazade I booked a room for the final 2 nights of my trip after touring Morocco. It felt like coming home. I would highly recommend the Hotel Sherazade for any type of traveller. It fit my budget, but didn't seem like a budget hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Knoxville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

We reserved our first night via internet from the US and had no problems having a room available for three people. All told it cost us 550 Dh with an en suite bathroom. We stayed two nights spaced a couple nights apart. The first room was on the ground floor but was a bit cramped BUT it was cool, dark and quiet. The second night we stayed was on the upper-most floor and it was a little bit warmer during the day with sunlight pouring in, but still quite tolerable and in general a more pleasant room with a bit more space. The terrace is wonderful. Some other folks complained about noise-levels but we heard nothing more than the call-to-prayer in the early morning hours. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

OK, so adjust yourself - you are looking at paying £35ish per night for a room here, in a Riad in the heart of an African city. Expecting a safe, bland Marriot, Holiday Inn, Ibis etc. type hotel? Book and pay for one of those then, not this beautiful Riad.

The general feel is one of ever so slightly faded glamour, this really appealed to us and we couldn't help but keep on poking round the public areas of this hotel, as well as trying to sneak a peek into as many rooms as possible! The pictures here barely do it justice, especially the roof terrace where you can take breakfast, sit and relax or just enjoy the all round views over the city and toward the Atlas Mountains.

We stayed in room 14, a good sized room with a large hard bed (perfect for me, not so much for the young lady) a small side sitting room, air conditioning as well as a small en suite bathroom. The room was clean, but perhaps could have been a little cleaner on really close inspection - but it's on the edge of a desert you know, so you might expect a little dust.

The Muzzein from the Mosque next door caused my eyes to open at 6am the first day, only to find I was still immersed in the cool darkness of our ground floor room. The next day I was barely conscious for the call to prayer and by the third morning I had no recollection of anything before 10am.

Perhaps a couple of things to consider; there are quite a few steps to some rooms - two flights up and down again for our room. The trip from the taxi drop off is only 3-4 minutes on foot, but through alien alleyways and with journey fatigue you probably are better off just paying a pound or two for a guide to take you - the hotel even gave us the 20 dirham tip for the guide (then adding it to the bill of course!).

Finally a real don't miss; the Dar Es-Salam restaurant is perhaps the most wonderful place I've ever dined (alcohol served too!) and is only three minutes stroll (turn left out of the hotel on Rue Riad Zitoun el-Kedim).

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Durham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

I was so excited about this stay, as two guide books (Lonely Planet and Rough Guide) sing its praises, and the Tripadvisor reviews are great. I am SO disappointed. This was the start of our 9-day trip in Morocco, and it was a rough introduction!

We stayed in two rooms for three nights on our trip. Our first room (24) was ridden with bed bugs and the en-suite made the entire room reek like urine, even when you closed the door or opened the windows. I am extremely allergic to bed bugs, so the second I woke up and realized I had 12 lovely, swelling bites, we changed rooms. I mentioned it to the staff and they couldn't have cared less ( When I ran into a hotel in Rome a year ago that had them, they emptied the room and fumigated it). So I would HIGHLY AVOID ROOM 24 if you decide to stay here. We switched to another room on an upper floor and have no real complaints, but it was still the poorest room we had the entire trip (I guess second poorest after Room 24). It's pretty noisy since it's located on a busy pathway, but that's to be expected. The Riad itself is beautifully decorated and the rooftop terrace is just great. It's in a fanstastic location to visit the square and souks. Water in the showers was very hot, which was great. There was WiFi on the terrace, but not in our room. But after staying in various other places for the remainder of our trip, I find this one less than stellar.

Still, the next time I go to Marrakech I will be staying elsewhere. Had the staff showed even the slightest concern about a bed bug infestation, instead of the "yeah, we know and can't do anything about it" attitude I got, I might score this better. I feel really bad for anyone else staying in Room 24, or the other rooms that undoubtedly have bugs. Bed bugs aside, ff you look at some of the other reviews on TripAdvisor, it appears this perhaps former gem might be letting itself slip...

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Sherazade? Share your experiences!