“Hidden luxury” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Les Jardins de la Medina

You added Les Jardins de la Medina to your Saves list
Les Jardins de la Medina
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Derb Chtouka, 21 | Kasbah de Marrakech, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Offers & Announcements
25% off room rate
Ranked #52 of 473 Hotels in Marrakech
Madrid, Spain
“Hidden luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

I stayed with my husband and three children (aged 13,10 and 5) for 3 nights at Jardins de la Medina. It really is a gorgeous place to relax and un wind from life and the hectic and fairly stressful streets of Marrakech. Unfortunately our family of 5 were split into 2 rooms (often happens with families of 5). Both rooms were spacious and luxurious. The children loved the gardens, roof terrace, finding the tortoises and swinging it the hammocks. The pool was a good size and a great temperature.
The reception staff were very warm and welcoming and were happy to arrange anything we wanted. The restaurant staff were friendly but often disorganised and slow. The menu could have had more choices for children or offered larger meals at half size/price (i did ask and they refused ) so eating in the Hotel was costly! Therefore we ventured out and had a some super meals elsewhere.

Room Tip: With the children we had garden rooms which meant it was easy for them to pop back whenever they nee...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I have just returned from a 5 day break at Les Jardins with my 2 teens. This may not sound like the start of a complimentary review but, thanks largely to this wonderful establishment, we had a very enjoyable stay. We had a room for 3, one of the main reasons I chose this hotel as this is not an easy thing to find, and it was absolutely stunning. The room was gorgeous, the private patio was a delight, as were the tortises that occasionally wandered through, the bathroom was positively sumptuous. I may run out of complimentary adjectives before I get to the roof terrace, the pool and the restaurant. It is all so beautifully done.

And the food.... we had breakfast and lunch there every day, eating outside at the gorgeous poolside terrace. Dinner only on the first night, and the couscous was great. Lunch was very very good, with a menu that offered something for everyone and made it possible to eat there 5 days in a row without getting bored. The tagines were tender, flavoursome and spiced to perfection, sometimes traditional and sometimes inventive. And, I had the best salade nicoise I have ever eaten, and I have eaten a fair few, in some nice places. The chef is very talented.

This was my second stay in Marrakesh and I much preferred this hotel and this location to the Palmeraie, which was where I went last time. Inside the walls of the hotel, the gardens are lush and it is peaceful so no need to be miles outside the city. The central position meant we could just walk out the door and we were right in the middle of it all, including some good shopping a few nice little cafes and the Tombes Saadiens all within 1-15 minutes walking. And sometimes it was enough just to peer into the street from the roof terrace and watch everyone go by. They also offer to organise day trips to interesting places nearby, but we did not take up this option. Next time.

The object of this holiday was to escape London for some sunshine, provide a distraction free environment for exam revision, see a different part of the world and spend some time in each others' company which doesn't happen when life gets busy at home. I think I might not have been the only one doing this as there were a few family groups there, with both young and older children, but there were also adult travellers so it never felt like a school holiday camp.

The staff are superb, from the Director who is present and attentive, down to the young men and women at reception. The hammam is also wonderful. Everyone was pleasant and helpful. This was a real treat because we do not often stay in such luxurious places. There was the risk I would be disappointed. But I am pleased to say it was genuinely one of the nicest holidays I have ever had and I cannot thank everyone at Les Jardins de la Medina enough for making our stay so fantastic.

Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

We truly enjoyed this little piece of paradise in the heart of the Medina. The service from the front desk to the restaurant to the cleaning staff was excellent. The Riad is not one the "WoW" architectural finds but has lovely design features throughout. The pool was a delight!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Nuremberg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

A beautiful hotel, luxurious rooms, first-class dinners, excellent service, ideal for relaxing!
When you are tired after a long walk through the busyMedina of Marrakech and arrive at the hotel you feel as if you are entering the Garden of Eden.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
St Albans
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

After reading all the reviews on here we booked a table for our first evening meal as we were staying in a riad around the corner.
The hotel is very beautiful and the surroundings are lovely. The food was ok (more of that later)but unfortunately our evening was ruined by bad service. We all ordered our main courses at the table and our order was taken by a lady manager. I actually pointed out the dish I wanted (thai seafood curry)on the menu as I wanted to know if it came with rice and which seafood was in it. When our main dishes arrived I somehow ended up with veal curry with fried bananas!! I obviously pointed out the mistake, she was very apologetic and at this stage I was fine and said if she gave me another glass of wine I would forget all about it. 25 mins later I still had an empty glass, the rest of my party had finished eating and I was finally bought..........a rack of lamb!!!!! At this point I understandably got quite annoyed actually got hold of another menu and pointed out again what I wanted and that I still had no wine. 25 mins later I finally got the dish I asked for, still no wine but after the 3rd time of asking was bought some. Needless to say by this point the evening was completely ruined, I ate the dish but didn't enjoy it as I was so annoyed. To add insult to injury we then asked for the bill - they had not taken anything off to compensate so my husband informed them he would not be paying for my food or drink to which they agreed. Needless to say we didn't leave a tip. Interestingly they gave me a feedback form which I completed in detail, leaving my number and email address, thinking that maybe someone would get back to me to apologise as we were in Marrakech for another 5 days but no. My husband ordered the house special - the Royal Tagine - very disappointing, he didn't even finish half.
So in conclusion - I realise based on the reviews here we were probably very unlucky with our experience however I think they are a Morrocan restaurant with Morrocan staff trying to emulate a European restaurant and they are just not up to it - as proved by the incident itself and the lack of follow up. All the subsequent meals out we had at our Riad and in local Morrocan restaurants were fantastic, with excellent food because they were doing what they do best and not trying to be something they're not!!!!!! Please look at all my other reviews for restaurants in Marrakesh as they are all excellent!!!
Iand discussed my dish with here

Naestved, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

If there is a heaven, I hope that there also is a Hotel and RESTAURANT Les Jardins de la Medina!
This beautifull hotel is very well situated, friendly and polite staff, always a smile. 6****** Dubai or Asia hotels can not compete with this heavenly spot.

Room Tip: Do have lunch or dinner. Very good and innovative chef. Use the top terrasse overlooking the Atlas...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

This hotel was a wonderful surprise. you enter through a door in a high wall and you are in a different world. The closest USA comparison I can think of might be something in New Orleans around the Garden District or the French Quarter. I had a very large first floor room with French windows opening directly into the courtyard. Nice pool although a little small, Beautiful plantings, banana trees, palms, and orange trees everywhere. Good food. Service a little slow but not too bad.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Been to Les Jardins de la Medina? Share your experiences!