“Great stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Les Jardins de la Medina

Save Saved
You added Les Jardins de la Medina to your Saves list
Les Jardins de la Medina
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Derb Chtouka, 21 | Kasbah de Marrakech, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Offers & Announcements
Save on Tour tickets
Ranked #57 of 460 hotels in Marrakech
“Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

I was a solo traveler, and spent an idillic week in this Oasis within the Medina. Great location, 10 minute walk from the madness of the Djemaa el-fna Sq. staff were very friendly without being intrusive. I would recommend.

Graham, Cheltenham

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

827 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
San Franicso Bay Area, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

After getting a little lost in the kasbah (my cab let me out several streets away), I was relieved when the staff buzzed me in and all of the noise and dirt of the street just disappeared. I stayed two nights and was upgraded to a Sultana room (115), which was spacious, quiet, and well-appointed in a mix of Moroccan and Western decor. Outside temperatures were 100+ degrees F/39 C, so I greatly appreciated the shaded room and patio, quiet air conditioning, and rainfall shower. I also enjoyed the peace and beauty of the gardens, my soaking tub, in-room espresso, and lovely Moroccan sweets and fruit that came with my room. (Suggestion: Peel the fruit.) The bed was very comfortable. The restaurant is relatively expensive, as hotel restaurants usually are, but sometimes it's good to just stay in, and I had nothing but well-made food from the restaurant (a delicious seafood tagine, intensely-flavored harira, lovely berber omelette and freshly-made batbouts from the breakfast buffet).. At the end of a hectic two-week trip, I found this a lovely, civilized place to relax and move more slowly.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

LOCATION
South end within the medina, roughly 10 minutes walk from the main square Jeema el Fna. Because of its location inside the old town, some may call the immediate surroundings authentic, some may just call it dirty and crammed. You have to walk through some back streets to get to the hotel.

GOOD
Beautiful lush garden and lovely pool. It's definitely a nice and tranquil escape from the city outside. The rooms are well appointed and there's a lush rustic charm in the interior design rather than opulent luxury. You definitely feel like you are in a Moroccan riad with character and not another large international hotel. You also get free N'espresso and bottled water in the room. Personable service and the front of hour staff are very friendly and helpful, particularly with restaurant recommendations.

BAD
The in-house restaurant. Terrible breakfast with limited food selection. Some of the food on display seemed to have been out for a long time and the pastry was dry. If you are used to the larger hotels' breakfast, be prepared to lower your expectations. Our lunch didn't really improve either, so we ended up not eating there again. The rustic charm in the rooms can easily be seen as tired by some. The aircon in both rooms that we had were noisy and one of them broke down in the middle of one night. Finally, the hotel charged 350 MAD (£26) for airport transfer for a journey that last precisely 6:30 minutes from door to door in a dirty and tired-looking Hyundai. Seriously?!

SUMMARY
I stayed at Les Jardins de la Medina with my partner and my parents for a long weekend 11-14 July 2013. I have also stayed here before in 2007. Both my stays are good and the riad can be recommended, but it needs to improve its breakfast offering and quality as well as the airport transfer before I can give it my full endorsement.

Room Tip: Go for the high floors because they are brighter and more private. The ground floor rooms are dark b...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. Beautiful gardens, clean rooms, fantastic pool area, helpful and attentive staff and lots of added extras make this hotel truly special. We were offered an upgrade upon arrival, which after a particularly stressful day of travelling was hugely appreciated. Marrakech can be somewhat overwhelming at times, so having this peaceful hotel to retire to in the evenings was heavenly. We also ate in the restaurant and it turned out to be one of the best meals we had all week.

The attention to detail in this hotel is incredible. I would definitely stay here again when visiting Marrakech and can't recommend it highly enough.

London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We wanted a romantic retreat to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary and my birthday. Most of the boxes were ticked - but a long wait for our room upon arrival and some plumbing issues which resulted in two changes of room, did spoil things a little. The hotel over-compensated for this with gifts and hospitality for both our 'special celebration' complete with Oud player and my birthday - champagne, cake and waiters singing to me in Arabic! We really enjoyed the cookery course which was just the two of us, the chef and a member of the waiting team to translate and help. The pool area is lovely and relaxed yet strangely crowded on the Sunday we were there - think that there were people visiting residents. In particular the location excellent if you are sightseers as you can brave most of the main attractions on foot or they are a short taxi ride away. Hotel staff are kind and attentive but like everybody in Marrakech, it seems, prepared to hustle when it suits them and will say 'two minutes' when they really mean 20!!!

Room Tip: The newer rooms at the far end of the rhiad have better air-conditioning and are generally quieter.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My boyfriend and I visited Les Jardins de la Medina for a "lunch and pool" afternoon during our stay in Marrakech and by the end of that day, were wishing we had booked to stay for the whole trip!
Les Jardins is simply magnificent.
In the midst of the hot and busy Medina, stepping through the front door sees guests discover a sumptuous secret garden. The service is attentive and efficient- with the owners themselves even warmly inviting my boyfriend and I to the weekly guest's cocktail party.
A worthy mention also goes to the restaurant at Les Jardins, which is utterly superb. Our lunch there was easily the best meal we had in Marrakech, despite us also visiting a number of the other top rated restaurants the city has to offer.
All in all, Les Jardins de la Medina is an experience not to be missed- we will certainly be booking in for our next trip to Marrakech!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Having travelled most of the world and having stayed in many of the best and perhaps some of the worst hotels, I can truly say this is one of the best. It is luxurious, elegant, refined and manages to create a laid back atmosphere. The work both front of house and behind the scenes creates an hotel worthy of any visit to Marrakech. The staff are charming, helpful and totally unobtrusive. The rooms, gardens, and the beautifully prepared excellent food and drinks are exceptional and are presented in a delightful manner. Clearly it is an oasis of peace and tranquillity in the midst of a fascinating and very bustling city. I enjoyed my stay every bit as much as my earlier stays in La Mamounia which is not to detract from the latter but simply to highlight the standard of this very special place

Room Tip: Just indicate what you want and I'm sure you will be satisfied.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to Les Jardins de la Medina? Share your experiences!