“a lovely hotel !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Les Jardins de la Medina

Save Saved
You added Les Jardins de la Medina to your Saves list
Les Jardins de la Medina
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Derb Chtouka, 21 | Kasbah de Marrakech, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #65 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
botley, United Kingdom
“a lovely hotel !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We really enjoyed our four night stay we were " upgraded " to a beautiful room on the second floor two eighty year old grandmas treated with charm and respect by the staff ! we thought the food was excellent too We would certainly go again Jenny E

Room Tip: second floor rooms seem lighter
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

899 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Oppegard, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We stayed in Les jardin de la Medina for one week in January for my husband's birthday. The staff and atmosphere were very nice. Good service and helpful for everything that we asked for. They have a very good restaurant too. At the beginning we planned to try different restaurant in marrakech . But we found out from the first dinner that we already have the best in the town. At the end we decided to have all our 7 dinners in our hotel . We are owner of restaurant in norway so we know what Is Good food mean.They served amazing food and the service was excellent. Specially on my husband birthday, they prepared the soft cake which my husband used to have for his birthday in norway. The servers even came over with the cake and sang the birthday song for him in front of our table. We will definitely coming back.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Stayed one week with my wife and overall it was a nice experience. The room (131) was spacious and not too much noise from the street outside. It lacked balcony or terrace, but that was not a big problem. Some of the rooms on the ground floor seemed to be smaller and lack of privacy on the small terrace.
We had a bust-up with the manager on arrival because we had no internet connection, but that was solved in a remarkable way by putting up a "box" high up in a tree outside our room.
The food and service in the restaurant was so good that we had dinner there all 7 nights - the Morrocan wines were very good also.

Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

This hotel was even better than we had expected and the staff were extrmely helpful. There were lots of nice touches all around the place, and the atmosphere and the food were excellent. The breakfast in particular was generous. The bedroom was very comfortable and well warmed (in January.) We enyoyed the gardens the roof terrace and pool. We had to remind ourselves we were there ot go out and do some sightseeing. (The town of Marrakech slightly disappointed us and so it was tempting to stay in the nice confines of the hotel.)

The restaurant was not cheap and so we chose to eat out some times, but as we had got what we felt was a good rate for bed and breakfast through the travel company we booked with, overall it represented reasonable value.

If pressed to identify shortcomings, I would say that the waitresses in the restaurant at breakfast were a little slow to clear dirty plates and the serivce at dinner was leisurely.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Rotterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Les jardins de la Medina is a paradise on earth. I have been there last month. I had a greatfull and excellent time. The staff and the atmosphere were very nice. The service was excellent.In particular the food. The food was incredibly delicious. Everything perfectly seasoned and served. It was tasteful and the atmosphere during dinner was pleasant.
I want to make an extra compliment to the Chef Cook for the great presatation of the culinary dishes. I absolutely recommend this hotel and restaurant to you because it's definitely worth it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Firstly I apologise for the following long winded review. I have never written such a poor review and because of that and the fact I was so disappointed I wanted to ensure I explained as fully as possible why this was the case. I was so looking forward to our first trip to Morocco and in particular our stay at Les Jardins de la medina, having read all of its great reviews on Tripadvisor. The choice came down to here and La Maison Arabe, both seemed to be equally good, but in the end it was the inviting pictures of the pool area at Les Jardins that made our decision. Only going for 3 nights we wanted our visit to be really special.
First the good....

The gardens and outdoor areas- these are immaculate and a real oasis of calm away from the chaos that is Marrakech. Although it is true, as others have said ,that there is alot of shade unless you are lucky enough to get one of the the few loungers at the sunny side of the pool. We spent most of our time on the roof terrace which was lovely and quiet, although a little ironic as the pool was one of the reasons we chose this hotel.

The cleanliness of the room was superb - it was a good size with a big bed and furnished to a very high standard, the rose petals being a lovely finishing touch. The housekeeping staff clearly work very hard. We had a superior room, but i found ours, room 127 to be a bit too enclosed, the only windows opened out to a small shaded high walled courtyard and although a patio set was provided, you wouldnt really want to sit out there. The more expensive rooms did have lovely open patio areas however so it comes down to what you are willing to pay.

The choice at breakfast was plentiful with a good selection of breads, juices, meats, cheese, pastries, moroccan pancakes and fresh fruit.

Sadly all the impressive surroundings and luxury furnishings cannot make up for the poor service and attitude of staff and I am sorry to say that is our overwhelming impression of the front of house service we received at Les Jardins de la Medina.( I should have perhaps had an inkling of their attitude when i on booking I enquired about the costs of a transfer from the airport ,the cost being double that of a private transfer I ended up booking via Travel republic, so be warned!.....)

- On arrival @ 7.30pm, instead of being showed to our room for a quick relax and freshen up before dinner as we would have liked, ( we had made a reservation from the UK earlier that week for dinner at the hotel for 8.30pm) we were asked to take a seat ,enjoy a welcome drink and would then shown to our room. There was no tables left in the small bar area so we were placed outside, devoid of any atmosphere and finally after a lengthy wait, where i thought we had been forgotton about, a mint tea and some dried fruits arrived.
Having made our way back to the bar/ restaurant area just after 8.30pm for dinner we were shown to a table, not in the main restaurant as we wrongly expected, but at the far side of an uninspiring awning which acts as an extension. There were a couple of patio heaters already at other empty tables but we were seated far away from these and it does get pretty cold in the evening in Morocco at this time of year!( hence roaring log fires in the main restaurant!!! )Strangely there were still empty tables in the main restaurant which i found a little odd as a had booked several days before. I asked if we could be nearer a heater and a waitress rather grumpily moved our table nearer to an empty table which had the benefit of a patio heater. After another fairly lengthy wait we were given the menu with no communication or pleasantries. We were unaware when we booked, that Friday was a "Moroccan Evening" a fixed three course menu offering limited choices at a cost of around £40 a head before drinks. Neither my husband nor I particularly wanted three courses that evening, the choices were not terribly inspiring let alone the surroundings and service thus far and sadly we were totally put off and chose to get up and leave explaining this to the barman on our way out ,as the waitress had vanished. By this point we could'n't be bothered to venture out for dinner, with no knowledge of our surroundings, so went to bed somewhat hungry and disappointed.
Next morning the service at breakfast followed somewhat the same pattern. Being a buffet breakfast, staff only had to concentrate on offering coffee/tea etc, clearing away pots and pleasantries. There is unobtrusive service which is great and what i expected this would be, and then there is lack of service and attention. Each of the 3 mornings at breakfast i would have to try and get the attention of the waiting staff, or wait for them to reappear from elsewhere, to refill my coffee. Used crockery piled up on our table with no one seeming to want to remove them, despite the fact there was no space left on the table, in the end I had to call someone over and ask them to remove them.
On our final night we had a lovely evening meal in the medina and thought we would return to the hotel for a coffee and dessert. We asked if that would be OK , which it was, and sat in the bar area. We waited for a waitress to come with a menu despite there being two bar staff chatting in the empty bar and waited.. she finally brought the menu, we waited again...... I finally went up to the bar and asked if i could order with them and was told the waitress would be coming over, but they offered to do the coffee now, we waited once more ... i had drank all my coffee and we were still waiting.....needless to say, we got up and left AGAIN! If the restaurant had been busy and everyone was engaged i could have understood it, but that was not the case. By this point I was really quite upset and voiced my concerns to reception who simply handed me a customer comment form to complete. One further note, we exchanged currency at the hotel whilst there and when we asked if we could change it back on the morning of our departure we were told abruptly that was not possible and to try the airport. I know currency controls are stringent in Morocco but even if that were the truth her attitude left alot to be desired.

At first I wondered if our constant lack of service was due to having walked out of the restaurant on our first night , then i feared it may be because we were English, as the hotel has a large French clientele and staff speak little english ( I can manage a little french) but then i noticed that the staff were much more attentive and pleasant with the elderly "posh" English guests who perhaps are a little less confident travellers and wouldn't dream of complaining and of course ,guaranteed to give good tips.... so I am very confused!. My husband and I are always happy to pay a premium for quality and service but we are certainly not gullible, paying well over the odds for poor service and our stay here left a bad taste in my mouth.

Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Recently stayed here with my husband and 11-month old, and their attention to detail was impeccable. We requested a baby cot, and not only did we find it when we arrived, we also found they'd put in a bottle warmer and baby bathtub as well. I was instantly sold. I love the tranquilness of the place. Our room had its own patio with stairs which led up to our own sunroof complete with lounge cars. Breakfast was enjoyable and they make omelettes on order too. The only reason I didn't give it the full five stars was because there weren't any electric coffee makers/hot water kettles in the room for coffee and tea. Traveling with an infant, those mini kettles always come in handy. Other than that, I loved this property. The attentiveness of the staff was exceptional, its location in the Kasbah quarter of the Medina was convenient, and I'll probably stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Les Jardins de la Medina? Share your experiences!