“Perfect for us!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Les Jardins de la Medina

Save Saved
You added Les Jardins de la Medina to your Saves list
Les Jardins de la Medina
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Derb Chtouka, 21 | Kasbah de Marrakech, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #61 of 461 Hotels in Marrakech
London
“Perfect for us!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

We had a fantastic stay at Les Jardins de la Medina. After the first night we were not that happy with our room because of the noise from the kitchen, but without a problem we were offered another room on the other side which was very quiet.
In the morning we were woken up by the birds. Beautiful garden, lovely heated pool, great views from the terrace. The staff is perfect. We had dinner and lunch in the restaurant and both were very good. Very nice atmosphere in the bar with the fireplace. Breakfast buffet was delicious with freshly squeezed vegetable and fruit juices.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who would like to explore the medina!

Room Tip: We had room 102 and this one was perfect for us.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Bonn, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

I´ll come back!. Nice garden, excellent service,perfect rooms - a hotel frequented mostly by couples and travelers from all over the word. Not a perfect place for children.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

This amazing property tucked away in the middle of the Kasbah in Marrakech is a hidden gem.
The front door belies the beautiful Hotel/Riad that lies behind it. The garden full of oranges and the associated aromas of that intertwined with the smell of fresh coffee and pastries made this one a winner for me. Yes, I did see the owner and his very well behaved little dog and they played very period FRENCH music that gave the eating area a very Piaf mood. The Imam calling the faithful to prayer from the nearby mosque made me realise that I wasn't there for mushy peas and chips and that I was in the middle of the Kasbah. Everybody that was with me were absolutely envious even though they were stay at one of the more "upmarket" Hotels in the newer part of Marrakech! I loved the location and the breakfast were fresh and tasty and very well presented by awesome staff who could not do enough to help. Concierge and Reception were helpful and just plain good people. It is a 15 minute walk through some of the most amazing streets to the main square. I was personally very happy and the rose petals did not worry me in anyway. The shutters were awesome and kept ALL light out until I was ready to wake up. Great room on the second floor and all the facilities I could ask for, including an amazing bath!

Room Tip: My room on the second floor was absolutely amazing and in the "tree line"
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
jardinsmedina, Directeur général at Les Jardins de la Medina, responded to this review, November 25, 2011
Hello! All my team join me to thank you about your nice comments (and about your "clin d'oeil" about roses, music, the garden, Eimi etc.. :o)

We hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you again at les Jardins de la Medina, we keep this Solarium room for you!

best regards from Morroco to Calgary!

Luc Fougere
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

Myself and 2 children spent 3 days in Les Jardins before taking a 10 day trip out of Marrakech. We very much enjoyed the hotel surroundings and staff, our accommodation and the food was great. I would say luxury without an outrageous price. Any request for booking a trip to trek up Ourika Valley or take a transfer to Casablanca was organised and a fair cost. The pool was lovely though the weather wasn't particularly. I have stayed at other 4 star hotels in Morocco and am shocked that this hotel is rated 4 star as it far better than any such rated hotel I have stayed at here. I recommend this hotel to anyone who wants an easy and indulgent time in a beautiful hotel with helpful and lovely staff.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

Great hotel - riad style - with fab surroundings and nice rooms. Very welcoming staff too. Our only disappointment was about the hotel location which is about 20 mns walk to the main square and main places of attraction.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

In order to understand this review you have to acknowledge that I have been to Marrakech many times and have experienced many different styles of riads and hotels. By chance i came across this hotel featured on google, and after doing some research and reading all the positive reviews, I couldn't figure out why I had
not heard of it, or knew anyone who had stayed there. With that in mind you can you only appreciate
my opinion. So.....

I return to Marrakech again and again as I am still fascinated to keep finding the most enchanting riads which have been decorated by such creative people, people whom have often come from the art and fashion world, and have taken the opportunity to create something unique in these wonderful buildings. Often one goes looking for hidden areas secretly holding interesting art or sculpture, an incredible array of bedrooms and lounges, or hidden nooks to hide yourself away in and ultimately make you feel very far from home. But the Les Jardins de la Medina totally lacks any such creativity or wow-factor, and I really cannot fathom why anyone would think it does. I accept that if you have never been to Marrakech before, and know no better, you make think the Les Jardins enchanting just because it has a walled garden, however there is so much better
to be had elsewhere.

What I also find incredibly strange and suspect is that there is a hotel guide at the hotel called the Chateaux & Hotels Collection (I have also come across this guide in France) and the ONLY hotel/riad it recommends in the whole of Marrakech is the Les Jardins de la Medina, and this frankly is ridiculous and misleading and makes me strongly question how much research the producers of this guide have put into investigating the wonderful
hotels and riads Marrakech has to offer, or if hotel owner actually paid to be featured in it.

You also need to know, and should not be fooled in any way, into believing this is a riad, it is not. Part of its origins may have been a riad, but now it is a purpose built hotel, and I very much suspect a hotel that is promoted on package holiday websites for a low-to-middle range price bracket. I have certainly not come across this establishment on any websites I use, in fact when I came across it advertised, and then looked up various websites to see the outstanding reviews it had been given, I was rather baffled as to why I had not heard of it before, especially as I have been to Marrakech so many times. But now, having stayed at this hotel, I now realise why this very average, 3 star rated at best, hotel does not get featured on the websites I prefer to use when researching properties. It simply isn't good enough.

I presume the owner lives on the premises. I did constantly notice a rather weather beaten Frenchman
grabbing bits of food off the buffet set-up, and his rectum-bearing dog trailing behind him. i dont think this is acceptable especially when people are eating their breakfast.

Further, do you want to stay at a hotel which from early morning until midnight plays a monotonous selection of British and American pop music, warbling French torch songs, and any other 'grab a selection of musical tat' from around the world? Personally I would have thought most people go to Marrakech to drink in the
culture, relax in the warmth, and enjoy this still slightly mediaeval way of life. Does anyone truly come to Marrakech and want to be woken by hearing Barry Manilow at 8.30 in the morning? Further, did anyone in the world have a desire to go to Marrakech and hope to listen to The Carpenters singing Jambalaya while
they are having breakfast? I doubt it! All this middle of the road music being played everywhere made me feel like I was staying at a 1970's wet-weekend holiday camp.

I booked the best room available. Though it wasn't important to me, it should be noted
there was no bath, only a shower. So if you do want a bathtub then ask in advance.

I know some people like it, but I find rose petals scattered over the bed, and over towels in the bathroom,
really tacky and so-1970's ... and I cannot stand towels being twisted into stupid shapes or displayed on beds.
This is supposed to be Marrakech not a holiday camp in Thailand.

The good points. Certainly the restaurant serves very good food in the evenings, the standard
is high, but again you're subjected to a crass selection of music which kills off any hope of creating a pleasant atmosphere. The breakfast buffet is mediocre. Our room was pleasant enough (apart from the silly towel shapes and rose petals), and we had a good large terrace, but ultimately it was just white-washed and simply does not compare to many of the amazing rooms I have rented in Marrakech in the past. Le Jardins - as you would expect - does at least have a rather nice garden area to relax in, though that again is spoilt by the music speakers dotted around which drown out the peace, the birds, the water fountains. And there is certainly a good sized pool which various families happily let their children scream and dive-bomb into without any consideration for others.

I accept this is a perfectly adequate establishment for those on a budget, and for families who want to let their children run riot. But it most certainly wasn't for me, or for the type of people I know - and it most certainly wasn't the Marrakech that I love and remain enchanted by.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
jardinsmedina, Directeur général at Les Jardins de la Medina, responded to this review, November 28, 2011
I would like to thank our many clients, whether true lovers of Marrakech or first-time visitors, who express their approval with a satisfaction rate exceeding 97% on all the international evaluation websites, and who encourage us to continue in our ongoing quest to improve quality, conviviality and comfort.

Les Jardins de la Medina has been carefully selected by the renowned Alain Ducasse Group, whose reputation is acknowledged worldwide for its rigour and strict requirements for quality, by it membership of the prestigious ‘Chateaux et Hotels Collection’.

Les Jardins de la Medina prides itself on being featured alongside the finest hotels in Marrakech in such prestigious brochure suppliers as Classic Collection, Pegase, Carre Blu¸ Abercrombie & Kent, Prestige Holidays and many more who regularly monitor the level of our services. Its policy of quality and standard of its services are assessed quarterly according to the standard of the upmarket hotel industry benchmark association ‘Excel Place’, on the same basis as other prestigious institutions.

Built more than 150 years ago in the Kasbah of Marrakech. Les Jardins de la Medina is one of the rare private properties which truly corresponds to the term ‘riad,’ in these summer resorts or second homes for the aristocracy) where a huge garden took preference over the buildings, like the mythical image pf a Riad with its lush gardens and four imaginary fountains. Thus, our house has the largest private garden in Marrakech, with 2800 sqyare metres entirely dedicated to the good life.

True to Mococcan traditions, rose petals, like the mint tea, and almond pastries, fruits of the desert will always be available to you, the scent of the orange blossom picked from our orange trees will always be our ambassadors of your stay with us.

We believe that it is imperative that tourism adapts and anticipates environmental constraints and we are fully engaged in this process. The true lovers of Morocco and of Marrakech are aware of the problems associated with the downward impact of water supply. This is the reason why we now offer large rainshowers in some of our rooms or suites as an alternative to a bathtubs.

Finally, our music homemade playlist include nearly 1000 titles from the 1950’s until the present day. More than 70% are jazz tracks from different eras, such as Miles Davis, Etta James , Nat King Cole or Louis Armstrong, interspersed with Piaf, Brel, Becaud, Dahmane El Harrachi, Faudel, Souad Massi, Ayo, Maria Dolores Pradera, Tracy Chapman, Yma Sumac and many others.. .

Best regards to our readers

Luc Fougere
Nottingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights in the jardin based on the fact it was near the centre with a pool to lounge around.

Behind the big door in the dusty street lies an amazing hotel.
We had a superior room which was gorgeous and loads of space.

It's 20min walk to the central square and a few local shops round the corner.

The pool was slightly disappointing as most the beds are in shadow alot of the time (oct),  but you can head to the roof loungers for sun

Overall great place, friendly staff, nice place to relax

Hints & Tips
1) you must have receipts for any currency changed if u want to change it back at the airport, you will have to ask for these
2) we arranged for a guide via the hotel, don't! Ours,  took us to his mates shop out of the way which we have to pay for the taxi
3) when you first get the main sq, look up, go relax in one of the roof top bars to acclimatise
4) Watch the taxis, they'll try and rip you off 9 times out of 10, the hotel will give u prices
5) smart phones with Gps are a real help, get the maps by wifi then head off into the souks.. Even with data turned off
6) you can to agadir, we did private tour bus for £100
7) there is very little to do in Agadir.. We spent 3 nights, it was a struggle
8) brush up on your French, it'll come in handy

• Stayed October 2011

Been to Les Jardins de la Medina? Share your experiences!